Thread: S-n-a-k-e-!-!-!

Hey, wait up!

S-n-a-k-e-!-!-!

Coming soon as a (not so) major motion picture:

[SIZE="4"]Snakes on a Bike Trail[/SIZE]

This is the third rattlesnake I've seen this season - and the first I've seen while with camera. He/she was at least 3 foot and a scooch.

Our rattlers have those bands around the tail. Sometimes, the bands get a greenish color to them. I don't know if that is a special trait for our rattlers or if snakes in other areas have the same trait.

(I've also seen this year two smaller garter snakes, lots of lizards, some horny toads, many rabbits, tarantulas, a "vinegarone," millipedes, and a couple of coyotes.)

Of course I had to get him/her all riled up trying to get close and take pics with a flash camera.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LCdaveH; 07-29-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

GeoMan
    That, my friend, looks dangerous!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH

Our rattlers have those bands around the tail. Sometimes, the bands get a greenish color to them. I don't know if that is a special trait for our rattlers or if snakes in other areas have the same trait.

Eeek. I know the feeling. I was out a couple of weeks ago just north of LA, stopped to take a breather and heard 'shika-shika-shika' coming from a cluster of weeds/bushes near my foot. I stayed very still till I spotted the varmint. He wasn't close enough to bite, so I snapped a photo.

Then as I watch him and his rattle, I heard 'shika-shika-shika' again, but his rattle was not moving. Oh crap, there was another one I hadn't located yet. A few minutes of searching and listening for the source of the noise revealed another one about three feet in front of the first in a more secluded and brushy area. I stopped taking photos and started looking for more. While I searched, the two of them slithered into a nearby hole in the ground. Hmm...seems to be a den. I didn't bother to rest there any longer--uncertain how many more were around.

Anyway, both of those guys had some greenish bands on them. Can't really see it from the photo.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    ... Our rattlers have those bands around the tail. Sometimes, the bands get a greenish color to them. I don't know if that is a special trait for our rattlers or if snakes in other areas have the same trait. ...
    Crotalus ruber, no? The red diamond rattler?

I know your rattlers better not have the special trait of finding their way to the Horny Toad, or I'll know how they got there, Dave.

mtbr member
    Crap. Where in LA? I ride there at least twice a week and I've never noticed one. I used to see tons in White Rock when I climbed more. I did notice dozens of lizards on my ride up perimeter last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    Eeek. I know the feeling. I was out a couple of weeks ago just north of LA, stopped to take a breather and heard 'shika-shika-shika' coming from a cluster of weeds/bushes near my foot. I stayed very still till I spotted the varmint. He wasn't close enough to bite, so I snapped a photo.

Then as I watch him and his rattle, I heard 'shika-shika-shika' again, but his rattle was not moving. Oh crap, there was another one I hadn't located yet. A few minutes of searching and listening for the source of the noise revealed another one about three feet in front of the first in a more secluded and brushy area. I stopped taking photos and started looking for more. While I searched, the two of them slithered into a nearby hole in the ground. Hmm...seems to be a den. I didn't bother to rest there any longer--uncertain how many more were around.

Anyway, both of those guys had some greenish bands on them. Can't really see it from the photo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    so, Im planning on moving to Santa Fe in January of next year, and I was wondering how often one comes across a critter like this?
    with my headphones slammin playin, Iron maiden
    sittin in the lobby of the Days Inn

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    seen three in ten years, one a little too close.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Just a good old diamondback.Use to see lots of those things on the trails around Phx. Thats how you get good at, I guess you would say snake hopping, Lots of incent. to clear them real good.You usually see them more in the spring on the trail sunning.

I <3 NM
    here in louisiana we have rattlers, copper heads and cotton mouths...

we also have large nonvenomous snakes like this on i saw on the trail one day...

we also have these reptiles occasionally blocking our single track.. i snapped this pic while on a ride.. (Brian would prolly try to huck 'em tho..)

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

surfer w/out waves
    To date, I've been cut off by two fat Cottonmouths, an Iguana the size of my leg, and a white-tailed deer... The only gator has been off to the side of the trail. Gotta love the outdoors!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

banned
    Rode right past this one, about 3 feet away. Coiled and ready to strike.

I ran over the tail of one last night. Going down hill around 18 mph. Hit the tail with the front tire, immediate rattle.

I <3 NM
    Git the mutha****in snakes off my mutha****in TRAIL!!!!!!!!!!!

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

psu cycling
    Jun 2007
    Living in Atlanta last summer and riding at Blanket's Creek I would see a cottonmouth every time I was there. I was riding over the bridge at the entrace where the trails split one day and saw one gliding across the creek with a nice sized frog in its mouth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by don_o
    Crap. Where in LA? I ride there at least twice a week and I've never noticed one. I used to see tons in White Rock when I climbed more. I did notice dozens of lizards on my ride up perimeter last week.

These guys were out on Garcia Mesa. I'd have to check my GPS, but it's mainly game trails out there. Little likelyhood you'd run across that den. I have run across a couple on upper Guaje road (3 bears) in the past. Only two places I've run across them in LA.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

at least they were mellow

After 2 full months of snake free riding (other than some little garter snakes), my first ride back here in the desert I got to see these two little guys. Both were almost exactly the same size. One black tail, one diamond back. The black tail was cruising across the road and into the rocks, the diamond back didn't move.

I'd say these guys were each about 2 and a half feet long.

Be careful out there.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

mtbr member
    Tucson has snakes too

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    Tucson has snakes too
    Tucson?

.... but I thought the republican convention was in minneapolis

{rimshot}

Nah, just kidding. Rattlers are a valuable and important part of our ecothingy

Last edited by LCdaveH; 08-15-2008 at 09:05 PM.

banned
    ...and so are elephants!

RCC
    Bandolero
    saw this one going up otero canyon last year .it was right in the middle of the trail,just taking in the sun! it took about two minutes to make it move the hell out of the trail!...amazing animals thou.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

Hey, wait up!

Say hello to my little friend

In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Effennn....

I hope it looks that close due to a good camera.

That's a nice little western db.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler