mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Ruidoso / Cloudcroft tips

I'm headed that way at the end of the month for a few days of vacation. I've ridden the race course in Cloudcroft a looong time ago and a trail that I vaguely remember in Ruidoso. What is a good resource for maps/directoins?

Also, I've heard some folks talk about a trail from Cloudcroft that drops in to Alamagordo. What is the name of that one? How long is it?

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Here's a ride in Ruidoso when I was down there a few weeks back.

I also did the Fort Stanton ride but haven't put it on the web yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Singletracks.com has the trail listed as 'The Cloud Climbing-rail Trail Mountain Bike Trail'.
    It's a very convoluted route with a bunch of different trails on the 12 mile descent. 10 miles of it is abandoned rail road. Print the description.
    High Altitude Outfitters is the local bicycle shop in Cloudcroft, with maps.
    Rim Trail is the most famous one in the area. Others are La Luz Canyon, Osha Trail and Dona Ana Hills off I-25, hot now.
    Ruidoso has several: Spaghetti Bowl, Perk Canyon, Philadelphia, Kraut and Littleton Canyon ride.
    Boneshaker Cyclery, Ruidoso.
    Last edited by abegold; 08-03-2009 at 09:46 AM.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    DH/ Freeride or XC?

mtbr member
    Rim Trail is just an out and back right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Call High Altitude Outfitters Bike Shop 575-682-1228 to answer these questions, sorry haven't been here yet.
    Anyone into checking the area out in late September when autumn color peaks? Heard that shop had a small MTB fest last year and may hit it this. Planned on an Oct trip last year but it was the weekend of a hurricane remnant storm blasting the area, killing the trip.
    Rim Trail is linear so out and back but paralells the Sunspot Hwy so if you can set up a shuttle can be done in sections. 32 miles long.
    agmtb

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    If you know the area, Rim Trail can tie into lots of other trails in the area with just a few road crossings and maybe 5-6 miles of riding on the road. The problem is the loop would probably easily turn into 60-80 miles or riding.

mtbr member
    I've stopped by the shop last fall, but they were closed. I have a FS map that shows tons of trails; I just need to ride them!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat111
    DH/ Freeride or XC?
    XC

I'm planning on some version of the Rim Trail for my day in Cloudcroft.

Are there any shops in Ruidoso with good directions or maps?

Bad judgement in motion!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtallred
    XC

I'm planning on some version of the Rim Trail for my day in Cloudcroft.

Are there any shops in Ruidoso with good directions or maps?
    I second Boneshaker Cyclery. They seem like nice people, interested in developing MTB opportunities in the area.
    I'll take the Pain and Humiliation Combo, super-sized.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    High Altitude said they may lead the Cloudcroft to Alamogordo descent this Sunday, 8/2.
    The guy at the shop told me to access their Facebook page but have had no luck.
    Please update if this will happen if you can access the page as I may drive from Tucson to escape the heat.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    When will you be going. I might be able to show you around. I stay in Cloudcroft almost every weekend. The trails are very good and cool ave temp 75. Rim trail, rails to trails and the upper stuff is great. Let me know.
    timan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure yet. Waiting for rain chance to decline as I'll camp. Most rides in the cool I do with my 2 dogs, but limit them to 12 miles.
    Thank you for the offer. Will reply when getting ready to roll east and ride.
    Got on High Altitude's Facebook page so now I can monitor those rides.
    agmtb