Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Rock Garden North of Pino Trailhead

So, I rode the North Foothills this evening for the first time in a few weeks and was pissed to see that someone has filled in the rock garden just north of the Pino Trailhead with kitty litter. I have only lived here for a little over a year and I loved the challenge that rock garden provided me until I finally figured out how to tackle it. So sad to see that instead of being a man (or woman) that someone just decided to smooth out the trail instead of get better.

I am contemplating going back and digging it back out again. Man this kind of think drives me nuts.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    I was out there yesterday morn. Not sure what the trail number is, the rocky ridge that comes down along the wilderness boundary and meets the main north, south trail where you turn towards the tram has a bunch of spots where rocks were taken out of the trail. Looks fairly recent to me. What use to be a pretty chunky, fun down is starting to be smoothed out a little at a time. Never enough chunk! If you don't like rocks, ride a different trail.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    And they wonder why rouge trails keep popping up......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkldouglas View Post
    So, I rode the North Foothills this evening for the first time in a few weeks and was pissed to see that someone has filled in the rock garden just north of the Pino Trailhead with kitty litter. I have only lived here for a little over a year and I loved the challenge that rock garden provided me until I finally figured out how to tackle it. So sad to see that instead of being a man (or woman) that someone just decided to smooth out the trail instead of get better.

I am contemplating going back and digging it back out again. Man this kind of think drives me nuts.
    Glad someone else noticed this. It does look like someone has shoveled a significant amount of sand or something into it. Strange though as it doesn't make it that much easier compared to the traction you lose with all the sand between the rocks.

I couldn't imagine a jogger or hiker doing this so it must be one of "us", and if so they're pretty lame.
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 06-13-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

I am a long time lurker here, but have never posted before.
    I know where you are talking about, though. I was out a couple of weekends ago (Saturday 6/1) and ran into the culprits working there. It was the Open Space folks along with several people from "FOOMTB" (the one guy made a big deal of telling me about them while I tried to get past them). There were also 2-3 groups of people working on the trail mentioned by "mtbike52" removing rocks and such from that part of the trail.

mtbr member
    Sucks......... guess we found the rock barrons.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WyFlyGuy View Post
    I am a long time lurker here, but have never posted before.
    I know where you are talking about, though. I was out a couple of weekends ago (Saturday 6/1) and ran into the culprits working there. It was the Open Space folks along with several people from "FOOMTB" (the one guy made a big deal of telling me about them while I tried to get past them). There were also 2-3 groups of people working on the trail mentioned by "mtbike52" removing rocks and such from that part of the trail.
    disappointing but not surprising.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miťrcoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by WyFlyGuy View Post
    It was the Open Space folks along with several people from "FOOMTB" (the one guy made a big deal of telling me about them while I tried to get past them). There were also 2-3 groups of people working on the trail mentioned by "mtbike52" removing rocks and such from that part of the trail.
    Why the F are Open Space and Foo out dumbing down the trails? Go figure that its a mountain bike group doing this CRAP. Its not like there's not enough smooth trails out there. That really bothers me even more that it's the Open Space and Foo doing this and not just some idiot.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

RCC
    Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Sucks......... guess we found the rock barrons.....
    you say that so suave
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    Open space hates tech and the city is scared of law suits. If i had to guess id say open space is making foo do it or close that section . I love FOO my beef is with open space. Time for me to get political the only way i know how... call 770Am and complain!

mtbr member
    Canít speak for the section just north of Pino, but Iíve been responsible for maintaining trail #230 (BOMB trail) within Elena for 10 years now and I can assure you that our group has never removed rocks or sanitized that trail. In fact, we have hauled in and placed close to 2 tons of rock on that trail. The majority are dug in and buried into the tread to help with erosion, add to the flow, and create some challenges.
    Anyone is welcome to help us work on the trail the first Saturday of June and the first Saturday of November every year.

mtbr member
    does bomb stand for babes on mountain bikes... or believers on mountain bikes??

mtbr member
    It's the latter.
    bomb stands for believers on mountain bikes

mtbr member
    Saw the same crime scene at Pino trail a few days ago. One presumes that is a result of 'Trail Maintenance Day' two Saturday's ago. Now I'm really pissed at myself for not going so I could have pitched a giga-b1tch at the whole idea. Unbelievable anyone would think that was OK. Also saw the dirt fill on 320. WTF? Wheelchair access? So now we have vandals on both sides of the law.
    Last edited by tyrebyter; 06-13-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: idiotic censoring

mtbr member
    Why not just leave it alone?
    Mother nature does it's own maintenance, no matter how hard we try.
    The Dude abides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Knowing that this was done in the name of "trail maintenance" actually pisses me off more than had it been some rogue pansy mountain biker. I don't understand why they felt the need to do that. Like it was said before, the traction is so bad now that it isn't like more people will be able to ride it.

mtbr member

Re: Rock Garden North of Pino Trailhead

Hey guys. I'll do my best to represent Foo on this.

To my knowledge, the majority of us were helping Kerry on Trails Day up at Oak Flats. I do know a few of our crew was helping Jim and AOS.

I personally have not rode the foothills since then so I have not seen the issue. I will bring this up to the club and our president Claudia and try to figure out whats up. Ill also make an effort monday to get out there and take a look and some pics.

Any issues, comments, or questions don't hesitate to get with us on our website or Facebook.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Ride: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedChase View Post
    Hey guys. I'll do my best to represent Foo on this.

To my knowledge, the majority of us were helping Kerry on Trails Day up at Oak Flats. I do know a few of our crew was helping Jim and AOS.

I personally have not rode the foothills since then so I have not seen the issue. I will bring this up to the club and our president Claudia and try to figure out whats up. Ill also make an effort monday to get out there and take a look and some pics.

Any issues, comments, or questions don't hesitate to get with us on our website or Facebook.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    The following was sent to Ken this morning...

This was done as an AOS Project during National Trails Days under the directive of AOS Rangers Josh Willis and Jim Sattler. Their intent was to establish both an "A" and "B" line through that section. The "A" Line was maintained to the left and the "B" Line through to the right.

As for the trail tread conditions, we are under a severe drought and any Trail Building Maintenance Projects will require rain to bed down the treads. Be patient Ken and I'm sure the tread will resolve itself.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Also for more clarification I contacted FooMTB and this we the response I received.

"
    This was done as an AOS Project during National Trails Days under the directive of AOS Rangers Josh Willis and Jim Sattler. Their intent was to establish both an "A" and "B" line through that section. The "A" Line was maintained to the left and the "B" Line through to the right.

As for the trail tread conditions, we are under a severe drought and any Trail Building Maintenance Projects will require rain to bed down the treads. Be patient Ken and I'm sure the tread will resolve itself.
    "

Sounds like this was AOS driven and we need to direct any complaints/comments toward them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looks like he beat me to it...

High Alpine Adventure
    Sounds like this was AOS driven and we need to direct any complaints/comments toward them.
    Yep!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    Looks like he beat me to it...
    Yep!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Thanks for chiming in doug! Trail building is thankless work, im sure you know this.

Ive got nothing but respect for everyone at FOO.

When we get finished with 3 bottles you can bet people will complain its too techy and they dont like it. Ohwell no one but the bandos showed up to scout it so i could care less what people that arnt willing to build a trail have to say about a trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for chiming in doug! Trail building is thankless work, im sure you know this.

Ive got nothing but respect for everyone at FOO.

When we get finished with 3 bottles you can bet people will complain its too techy and they dont like it. Ohwell no one but the bandos showed up to scout it so i could care less what people that arnt willing to build a trail have to say about a trail.
    Be careful casting such a blanket statement. While there are plenty of people that don't help maintain trails, people like myself didn't know about this change because we were up helping Kerry and Foo build the new connector trail.

mtbr member
    Be careful casting such a blanket statement. While there are plenty of people that don't help maintain trails, people like myself didn't know about this change because we were up helping Kerry and Foo build the new connector trail.
    My point is that no trail makes everyone happy. Even if 100% of riders could agree on what they wanted, we would still need to ballance the needs of other users.

In the case of the rock garden it looks like AOS wanted to make the trail safer. I dont agree with it but then again im not the one getting sued.

Maybe i dont have a point.... oh well

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast