Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

Listen! "The Road Less Traveled"...-->Cumbres Pass<--

"The Road LEAST Traveled" might be a more fitting description:...

NE2NM, pcupach, and myself pointed the front wheels north on Saturday with nothing more than a rough map, compass, and a vague memory of some directions that Stefan gave me over the phone the night before. Paul and Jose have never undertaken this kind of adventure so they were stoked ( in the beginning ). However, I knew that with no guide and such primitive instruments for navigation that it was probably going to be a really long day....it was! I was fairly confident that we would not get completely lost as the map had some useful info, but I was almost certain that we would get misdirected occasionally throughout the day....I always do

Our intention was to follow the route outlined in red. Having made a wrong turn early on, and I am just guessing, the yellow route is probably pretty close to what we actually did. Kind of a lollipop loop.

So we headed on up the jeep road

As soon as I got clipped in, it started to drizzle just a little. It was perfect for the climb up as it brought cooler temps and kept the beer cold

Jeep roads aren't so bad when the scenery is all you care to concentrate on.

Just ask my friend Paul

It wasn't long before we made that wrong turn

It wasn't a total loss as we found some pretty cool terrain. Here is a boulder field tucked away amongst the ponderosas.

Paul giving me the thumbs up

So, we were lost. But we did not really know we were lost as the features that we were seeing seemed to correspond to the map. We still had a goal though. Make it to the waterfall...so we pressed on. I really thought we had topped out early and were on the 813. Some of the trail was nicely paved too

While other sections, not so much

There was evidence of LIFE

and DEATH

and a reminder that you can't have one without the other

The streams were flowing nicely

Pretty soon it started to get thick as we were running out of trail ( now I know that it was game trail ). The forest was playing its little game of hide-and-seek

Paul was making the best of it, while Jose was biting his tongue

But even Paul was feeling a little "hitch in his giddy-up"

Every once in a while the landscape would reveal itself, reviving our energies.

It was as if we were unlocking a hidden treasure that was our journey

We knew that with every footstep ( lots of hike a bike ) we were that much closer to another spectacular view.

Then we finally reached the one feature that would pinpoint our location

After taking it all in we decided that there was no way that we could complete our mission so we headed down

We did run into some fellas on quads who gave us directions back to the truck and made it down just before the rain hit. I will say it again. On more than one occasion, I have been very happy to run into guys on four wheelers.

Afterwards we headed into Chama and dined at a charming little place in town. The name escapes me

and the drive home was relaxing

Thanks for entertaining me yesterday fellas. Just think, at least we know where "not" to go next time
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 07-27-2008 at 04:08 PM.

I <3 NM
    Good god Brian!!!!

You, sir, are an MTBing artist who's talent for finding and riding the most spectacular and stunning bits of NM dirt is truly awe inspiring!!!

Bravo!

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

7MGTE
    Nice! Wish I could have made it but maybe next time.

mtbr member

A road less researched....

That was a great ride and post MTNBK123....Your "navigation skills" are unmatched ...
    Jose and I plotted your demise several times as we dropped into the valleys, carried our bikes over fallen trees, climbed up the rock fields and swatted at misquetoes ...Always asking "Do you see the trail yet? Is there beer? Where is Bigfoot? Is that fresh bear droppings !?!? Wanna try the Jambalya its great!

Seriously that was a blast!!!
    I wouldnt have traded that for a new Turner.

mtbr member

Big Wheels

I found out what my big wheels are good for:

Flying through DEEP mud puddles...YAHOOOO!
    Goes REALLY FAST D/H!!!

mtbr member
    Is it a requirement to drag along some guy on a Niner when you have these 'misadventures'? Are you ever going to get a GPS. So much easier...

Anyway, wish I could have made it. Found out I'm missing one my brake pads on the front of the bike...must have fallen off when I took the wheel off the other day. Parts on on the way as we speak. Nice post, though. Enjoyed the photos and report.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pcupach
    That was a great ride and post MTNBK123....Your "navigation skills" are unmatched ...
    Jose and I plotted your demise several times as we dropped into the valleys, carried our bikes over fallen trees, climbed up the rock fields and swatted at misquetoes ...Always asking "Do you see the trail yet? Is there beer? Where is Bigfoot? Is that fresh bear droppings !?!? Wanna try the Jambalya its great!

Seriously that was a blast!!!
    I wouldnt have traded that for a new Turner.
    The funniest thing that I heard all day "you guys aren't packing any heat"?

Note: at least they had beer though

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    Is it a requirement to drag along some guy on a Niner when you have these 'misadventures'?
    ha,ha...its a fettish

seriously though, I am just jealous that I can't find one that fits me

banned
    Jose and I plotted your demise several times as we dropped into the valleys, carried our bikes over fallen trees, climbed up the rock fields and swatted at misquetoes .:
    ...and which one of you was going to throw the 'death blow'?

at least you would have had a tasty carcass to consume

mtbr member
    I forgot about the "Packing Heat" question...I guess I was to busy drinking beer and using the OFF insect repelent.

I thought the funniest things said surrounded the map
    1. Finding the signs on the top of the waterfall and me asking you to see if a place called DERN was on the map...you responded...Its wilDERNess JA....
    2. Paul says "Are those little green spots on the map marsh areas? Brian responds "Ya that has to be marshes...No wait a minute....that is where the rain hit the map damn!"
    3. Which way is north...lol....no thats East....lol...oh ya never mind I have a compass
    4. You standing next to the 2nd sign that had fallen down...it said 4 miles to XXX trail....You started deducing which way the sign was supposed to be facing...You should have seen yourself....LOL

mtbr member
    We would have enticed you to go on a ledge for a POSER picture and threw rocks at you...youwould have slipped eventually.

banned
    We would have enticed you to go on a ledge for a POSER picture and threw rocks at you...youwould have slipped eventually.
    I had a feelling

that why I took the pic

banned
    .I guess I was to busy drinking beer
    I was burping that lemon lime piss all the way down

mtbr member
    I still havent cleaned up the bike or the pack...that is going to be fun.
    Did you ride today?
    I finished the putting my paper together...I just need to edit it and make a power point presentation...why is this important?...I want to ride Tuesday!! No paper No ride
    Where do you want to go Tuesday? I vote for some place that has a trail...lol

mtbr member
    Try Jambalaya, PB&J, Tecate, GUU, and a Granola bar...that will make you do more than burp!

7MGTE
    Did you ride today?

Where do you want to go Tuesday? I vote for some place that has a trail...lol
    Yeah he road today he is just being tight with the pics We did some XC riding today in the foothills. To much rain to hit Cedro or Otero so we just messed around in town.

Tuesday, Cedro... Otero...

mtbr member
    Ill bring the tekillya Tuesday...its smooooooth

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    Yeah he road today he is just being tight with the pics We did some XC riding today in the foothills. To much rain to hit Cedro or Otero so we just messed around in town.

Tuesday, Cedro... Otero...

I took those with RCC's camera. When have you known me to ever be tight with pics?

banned

Thanks Nate!

I wish that NM could 'stake' this claim, but it is actually a little futher north in Colorado.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    I wish that NM could 'stake' this claim, but it is actually a little futher north in Colorado.
    Isn't CO really just NM North but without chiles?

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member

Sun, rain, hail and snow

The day began well. The skies were cloudy, but no foul weather to ruin the ride.

1. The lush scenery filled with Ponderosa and Aspens, with rock faces as the backdrop caused many "look at that" comments. As we neared the destination a dark smoke filled the sky to eventually reveal the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Train.

2,3. As we climbed the dirt road a light drizzle cooled us off.

4. The streams were flowing

5,6,7. We found a cool boulder area

8,9. Streams were-a-flowin' and rock slides reminded us how small we are in comparison to mother nature.

10. Pcupach likely thinking, we hike-a-biked that and we are only half way up to the ridge?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    11. The scenery

12. The smiles would become less frequent after a while

13. I really like this photo, with Pcupach on the ledge and Trujillo Meadows as the backdrop.

14. Snow in late July Yessir !

15. The skies threatened all day and forced us to take shelter a couple times with downpours and hail.

16. At last, our destination (revised destination as daylight became dimmer).

17. Looking back

18. Click, click, click

19. The mountains and clouds waved goodbye.

20. Huge dome in the middle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    The funniest thing that I heard all day "you guys aren't packing any heat"?

Note: at least they had beer though

As I was drinking that beer all I heard was " blah, blah blah, Bears, blah, blah blah, Bears, You're carrying a pistol right?" ........ dead silence ....... "You boys ain't carrying no pistol?"

banned
    Sweet pics Jose!

mtbr member
    I tried to load my pictures but they wont load....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast