Genius

RIP Fellow Mtn Biker Edward Leute

RIP Fellow Mountain Biker Edward Leute. He was a staff member at my daughters school, St Pius. Sadly he passed away as a result of his injuries at Otero.

https://www.facebook.com/SartanX?hc_location=timeline
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

I ride with tools
    A very stark reminder of the danger inherent in our chosen sport, even for those of us who have toned it down some.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    I'm so sorry to hear that news. May god be with you Edward on that long trail ahead. Be safe all.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    Words can't describe. These are trails I ride and manage and I'd hope to never hear about something like this. My thoughts go out to Mr. Leute, his friend and family.

mtbr member
    But for the grace of God go we.

Stucco Bucket
    I am sorry to hear this.
    What were the circumstances? This story crosses over a lot of paths in my life.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Damn,
    He looked like he was going to make it when they brought him out! I would have never expected that this would be the result of his fall.....

Let's see if I can relay all that I know for other's edification...First off.. I doubt that anyone knows what happened relative to his fall. I doubt that Ed himself could have described it because he was in shock when we all got to him.

I arrived on scene just after the BCFD were attending to him. I was in the second group of riders that came upon him. I'm sure the two riders who found him, called for assistance, and took care of him and his stuff will be devastated at the news of his passing. He was talking to the other riders and the BCFD staff as they were taking him back down the hill in the stretcher.

Evidently, Ed was out on a long rider early Sunday morning. He was on his way back to his car which was parked at Tunnel Canyon. We found him nearly at the bottom of the slope where West Ridge ties into Tunnel and the Connector Trail heading back down to Otero. The section where he hit the ground was a little loose, but not nearly as sketchy as several sections he'd ridden already that morning. He was lying face down on the ground for over 90 minutes before the first group of riders found him. We came across him about 30-45 minutes after that.

His face was split from the crash, and when they found him, he was unable to move. i can't imagine what was going through his mind for the long time before someone came across him.

He was kind and helpful and encouraging to those who tried to care for him. He was talking with the rescue crew and even chuckled with them.

We went back around Birdhouse to drop his belongings back to his car. The four of us hammered the loose downhill sections out of spite, to prove that we really are invincible, and to get in the end of the trail that Ed was eager to finish himself.

I'm still astounded that he didn't make it...

So i'm sure the obvious words of wisdom are warranted.. especially, "don't ride alone." I'm not sure that even I can make that promise with varied schedules and such... I guess I would hope that we get MORE riders out on the trails and that we all watch over each other...

That extra turn, that bit of trail you've never seen, that extra brutal climb your clean, even after you're winded and tired, may find my semi-dead carcass laying on the ground, and if you do come across me.... call the BCFD (Those guys ROCK!) then tell my wife I lover her...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Oh and Owl... You're husky is fine... although she hasn't seen much tarmac since we started rinding in Angelfire earlier this year..

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtieterror View Post
    Damn,
    He looked like he was going to make it when they brought him out! I would have never expected that this would be the result of his fall...
    Thanks Bowtie for the info... it allows us all to learn something. I had heard he broke his neck and the complications from that can be serious. Many times they have to put you into an induced coma because of the head trama and that can lead to complications. So even though he seemed like he was going to be fine on the way out, many things can happen after the rescue and during recovery....

As for what happened it's true, many times we never saw it coming. A good friend of mine shattered his humerus this spring riding down the Chamisa Ravine... he's a really seasoned Endurance Racer and as he said, he never saw what happened. A baby head catches a front wheel or in Ed's case a brake lets loose and bam. Can you really prevent it from happening? Not sure about that, but you can try!

What I've learned from this is always check your bike out well before a ride and keep up with that routine maintenance. Riding alone is not the greatest thing to do but if you are doing it, have a cell phone on you or better yet a spot device in the back country. If your riding alone, take it easy.... that drop you would have easily done in front of friends is not the time to be the hero when your on your own.

And finally, I guess what I take from this is something I've been working on over the last few years. As I get older I don't think so much in terms of how fast I do a technical section but how smooth can I be and how well can I maintain control.

Sad that someone dying has to teach us lessons, but it is better we all learn something and not have anyone repeat what happened.

My thoughts go out to Ed's family and friends!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Sometimes a tragedy is just a tragedy, not a lesson and not an opportunity to speculate. Have a little respect.

Genius
    Everyone will take what they will from this. There is no wrong or right this time..... Let's give each other some latitude and not flame Ed's RIP thread please.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

Airborne Flight Crew
    There was some pertinent info posted by a Deacon on the facebook page in the OP regarding his condition (and subsequent choices). Actually feel kinda creepy for reading it... not really my business.

R.I.P., Eward Leute
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard Ė website

Stucco Bucket
    glad youre enjoying the bike, bowtie. thanks for posting that info

I <3 NM
    This hits uncomfortably close to home.

I've ridden Otero solo, but (purely by blind luck) every time I've eaten the dirt there I was with someone who was able to immediately check on me.

On my next ride, I'll take time to stop and think about our fallen brother, Mr. Leute and his family.

RIP

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

I <3 NM

RIP Fellow Mtn Biker Edward Leute

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.