banned

Rio de las Vacas..anyone?

A family camping outing landed me and my trusty RFX in the back country. I am getting to understand what Timo meant a few months back about the back country trails here in NM. Lately, I find myself drawn to these rustic trails. Jeep road, game trails, even some ATV trails have lead me to some epic scenery. Anyway, I don't have a route drawn up yet but I thought I would post some pics of what I found along the way...enjoy!

One thing about many of the trails that you find in the back country is that they are steep.

But the views are worth the pain

After a brutal ascension, I dropped back down into a clearing and follow the game trails on up the valley

What are these cows thinking as I pedaly my bright glittery blue RFX through their pasture ? I was actually a little freaked when they all looked up at me at once ( I have been chased by livestock ) especially with a couple of bulls pawing at the ground

More from the valley

Always time for some refreshment

I road a few miles down 126 towards Fenton before I turned around

The next day was brutal. I had a starting point and an ending point in mind but no map and no idea how to make it work. I started out following some ATV trails to the top of the highest point in the area ( Red Rock Mtn...I believe )

Once I had reached the top, I really did not want to go back the way I came. I ran into some helpful peeps along the way. I took some advice but followed my own instincts for the most part. Everyone I ran into had no clue where I had come from or how I could get back. I felt pretty uneasy for a while before I finally ran into a combo of well traveled gravel roads that eventually looped me back to where I had come from. I am investing in a gps before I ever do something like that again

...and here is the new kid on the block. He doesn't mind a little dirt either

Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 06-29-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Sublime Absurdity

Looks like a fun adventure. Props for drinking a real beer - I thought you were only into the cheap mexican brews
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    Looks like a fun adventure. Props for drinking a real beer - I thought you were only into the cheap mexican brews
    I can afford the real stuff when The Bandoleros aren't around

mtbr member
    Wow sweet ride. Can't believe you did that without a GPS. Did you see any other bikers out there?
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    Not 1! Lots of quads though. You know if it weren't for those trails there would be know access to some of the lookouts and the other things I was able to see. And...if it weren't for those bubba's on four wheelers I might have been luchmeat for some hungry mountain lion. I was literally grannying the last 2 miles back to camp, no water etc... I would have liked to know the mileage. I am no endurance freak or anything but I have never been ready to quit before and ask someone for assistance, but I was almost at that point. I was in the saddle for only 5.5 hours but once I realized that I was lost, I never really took a break. If your up for it I would like to explore that area some more. Perfect timing due to closures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    I am no endurance freak or anything but I have never been ready to quit before and ask someone for assistance, but I was almost at that point. I was in the saddle for only 5.5 hours but once I realized that I was lost, I never really took a break. If your up for it I would like to explore that area some more. Perfect timing due to closures.
    I got lost a few months back out on Garcia mesa and actually called my wife to come get me. She said no, so I had to suffer it out. Nothing like getting lost to take the life out of a fun trip. I did have a GPS on me, so I wasn't completely lost, but I could tell that I wasn't getting any closer to home for a number of miles.

I'm always up for exploration...shoot me a message if you want to go try something off the beaten path.

You up for a Thursday ride? I'm off due to holiday on 4th. I originally planned on hitting Abq and riding 10K/faulty, but looks like it's closed. I'm thinking Medio Dia starting at Dixon's but could be convinced to do something else (REM, SBT, WM, etc.).
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

7MGTE
    Nice

Tried to call you last night to see if you were riding today but your phone was off so I fig. you were still camping.

Would have been cool to have you with us today you missed some spills

We (me and sodade) found that jump yesterday you guys made a few months back. Nice job it was still rock solid and the design was awesome Bryan. I can not get enough of it I have hit it few times already and man its nice

banned
    I might be able to open up my schedule for Cochiti. How about it Nate? Been a while since we rode...eh? Thursday sounds good...route to be determined. Maybe Marcus could chime in on the Over 40 loop?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    Nice

Tried to call you last night to see if you were riding today but your phone was off so I fig. you were still camping.

Would have been cool to have you with us today you missed some spills

We (me and sodade) found that jump yesterday you guys made a few months back. Nice job it was still rock solid and the design was awesome Bryan. I can not get enough of it I have hit it few times already and man its nice
    Cool! I would have loved to be there for the farewell tour. I almost made it back in time, but it was not to be. I heard you guys took it out with a "bang"

Sublime Absurdity
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    Yeah man, I second that - it's 20-25 mins from my backdoor, looks totally cool and natural (I've ridden right past it 20x and never noticed it until Ricky clued me in) and it has a sweet landing zone. I'm going to go up there with pads and regain a little of my big drop courage - it will be a good test to see if I bottom out. Thanks for building it!
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Cool! I would have loved to be there for the farewell tour. I almost made it back in time, but it was not to be. I heard you guys took it out with a "bang"
    Oh man Bryan there was some carnage today boy Started off with James showing us the some of the main differences between V-brakes and hydraulic brakes for some entertainment (although if you ask him I am sure he would not put it that way).

Later I think Paul had a minor spill as well. Bruce was not to far behind me and I heard oh, Sh--, SOB, that hurt. Looked back and he was on the bike turns out he decided to punt a softball sized rock with his left shin (freaking show off)! Later Bruce took off like a bat out of hell and wanted to lead. I was not to far behind and heard loud PING and looked up to see Bruce going OTB .

Had a good time on Faulty almost cleaned the staircase today. Not today but maybe next time. I kept hyping up your jump for the group and was thinking all us would hit it. I was only able to get Ramon to hit it with me. I popped it first and it went ok so I told Ramon to hit brother. We lets just say trying to g-roll it may have not been the best method for that jump. All is good he brushed hiself off and said next time for sure (and I know he dead serious) .

Oh and we ran into Doug as well today. He was climbing, we were not

Bandolero

The more you know...

Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    Yeah man, I second that - it's 20-25 mins from my backdoor, looks totally cool and natural (I've ridden right past it 20x and never noticed it until Ricky clued me in) and it has a sweet landing zone.
    Right way:

Wrong way:
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    That was great ride!
    I was beat at 10-11 mile point...Thanks to Bruce and Ramone for telling me "Almost there its only a mile to go" I heard that 4 different times for the next 4 miles...lol
    Its cool...I had a blast. Even if I was in last.