I ride with tools

Rift Valley Trail, Taos New Mexico

Northern New Mexico has a new trail system! How cool is that? Thanks to the hard work of the Rocky Mountain Youth Corps, we have new trails to ride outside of Taos. I hit them up today with the Taos director of Tourism, Greg de Taos. While they may not have much in the way of technical challenges, they are skinny, twisty, flowy, and pass by some fantastic views of the Rio Grande Gorge.

These trails would be a great option for a second day in Taos after some hard climbing on the South Boundary trail. Some easy miles with not a lot of climbing to work the kinks out of your legs.

The scenery in NNM is always great, except maybe in downtown Espanola. But out here it was grand.

A fine ride on a fine day, followed by a fine selection of fine homebrews served up in some fine glassware.

Get on up there and check it out!

banned
    Booooooreing....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There is something boring about people having a good time on bicycles in a beautiful place? Fast flowy single track and good beers all of sudden bore you? With all of the threads you have posted of the same trails with the same people drinking the same beer I would think you could keep that less than apt opinion to yourself. There are all kinds of riding out there and I enjoy them all. I can assure you the new trail is far from boring if you can pedal your bike faster than a crawl, like good scenery and can make it through a ride without whining.

banned

The truth?

Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    With all of the threads you have posted of the same trails with the same people drinking the same beer I would think you could keep that less than apt opinion to yourself.
    Relax! It looked great! I was just hassling JB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rift Valley Trail, Taos New Mexico-2009-11-01_205313.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If that is the case fine, I can live with that, but Robert takes a lot of sh1t. I tend to not like people getting picked on. I apologize. Peace.

banned
    If that is the case fine, I can live with that,
    It appears that you can LIVE with a lot of things...

I do like good scenery!

I <3 NM
    Oh man... new places to ride are always welcome, and Taos is become a mtb Mecca, if they play their cards right.

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Bad Religion

Some people like cheater rides. You know when they drive to shuttle and then ride down. This is not a cheater ride. Sounds like good fun and always a blast to hang with Mr. Beam. Can't grill the chile downwind though. Peace Rob. Miss riding with ya! Maybe next year?

mtbr member
    Been hearing about this trail since September. Can one of you guys tell me about it (Location, trailhead, lenght, etc.HOW DO I GET THERE) Seems like a nice change of pace for Susan & I

mtbr member
    Cool shots Roberto.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Map and elevation

First time out there. Smooth and fast with just enough climb to make it a workout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rift Valley Trail, Taos New Mexico-rift-valley.jpg  

High Alpine Adventure

24 Hours of Taos?

Wow!!!! That has Endurance Race written all over it... and don't mind Bryan, he's still trying to work up to doing the "Taos Box Drop"!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

I ride with tools

Hey Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Punc
    Some people like cheater rides. You know when they drive to shuttle and then ride down. This is not a cheater ride. Sounds like good fun and always a blast to hang with Mr. Beam. Can't grill the chile downwind though. Peace Rob. Miss riding with ya! Maybe next year?
    Good to hear from you! I'm ready to ride whenever you are! And there won't be any shuttling involved!

mtbr member

Be Green, save gas

I would have to agree with Chief Bandoflaro Robert, that looks about as much fun as the rail trail here in Santa Fe. You could of saved some gas money and waved to the Santa Fe to Lamy train folk to boot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rift Valley Trail, Taos New Mexico-p1010009_1.jpg  

banned

Full Moon Fever

Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf
    I would have to agree with Bryan Robert,
    Like when you awake next to Makachut some mornings, you will probably regret saying that.

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice ride. Will it still be rideable in 2 weeks? If so, I'd like the *.gpx Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you have mapsource or TOPO?

mtbr member
    you have mapsource or TOPO?
    TOPO7....usually I just import the *.gpx and create from there.

So the weather will be fine the few days before Thanksgiving?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Long range weather forcast...

Quote Originally Posted by uconn1150
    So the weather will be fine the few days before Thanksgiving?
    My crystal ball is in the shop, so I have no idea what it will be like in three weeks. Beautiful today. PM sent.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Super fun trail system. It is great that the BLM has worked at building and putting in parking facilities on their land. I can catch it on my drive home at a lot of different times of year something that is not so readily available during the winter in Taos. Singletrack is fun and my rigid singlespeed seems to be perfect for that terrain.

Rolling
    but Robert takes a lot of sh1t.
    But never gets his deserved quota.

Looks like a fun trail. I need to find myself on it sometime.

banned
    lidar-you could make that one epic northern NM roadtrip next year. Include ,SBT, one of GDT's local only tours, RVT (mentioned), and the Chama area.

Disclaimer:

This is purely selfish on my part, as I'd love to the pictures!