mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Riding in White Rock

I'm thinking about heading up to White Rock. Looking for ideas on where to ride. I normally ride the ABQ foothills.

I ride with tools
    I don't think there is much, if any, mountain biking in White Rock. There are at least two trails that run down to the Rio Grande but you would have to be a badazz downhiller to attempt them, and I believe that they are hiking-only trails. If you go about a mile past the last stop light in WR on NM 4, you'll cross Water Canyon in a long sweeping left-hand turn. You can access some trails there on the left, but there is not more than a few miles of trail IIRC. Also, White Rock is known for having a lot of goat heads.

Los Alamos has a very nice trail system, but without a guide you'll have a hard time finding the best stuff. To get you started, find the Aquatic Center on Central Ave, you can access the trails from the back side of the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the info. I checked out a map of Los Alamos. I will head up there. I'm looking for a rides in the 10 to 20 mile range. Bayo/Pueblo canyon loop caught my eye.

Is the bike OK?
    The Tuff Riders MTB club meet every Tuesday and Thursday at 5:30 (ready to ride time) in the parking lot of Sullivan Field (football stadium p-lot across from the high school). We usually split into 2-3 groups of different riding ability and head out from this central location. If you can make it at this time this is a great way to learn some of the local trails which their are TONS of options to have. Pueblo/Bayo is a very common ride for the club with different options for riding. There is also a club ride this Saturday at 10am leaving from the round-a-bout. If you want to make that one let me know and I'll post directions to get there. Here's the club's website: Tuff Riders Mountain Bike Club