mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Riding Trails in the Gila National Forrest

New to the area actually live in Morenci AZ. The Gila National Forrest is just across the border and I was curios if anyone had any suggestions of trails in the area.

mtbr member
    there are tons of trails throughout. just take care not to ride in wilderness. also if your driving east its worth your while to check out city of rocks state park... might only be an hr or so away from you
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I just ordered a map of the Gila Forrest and Apache Forrest trail systems. Cant wait to get and ride some of them. I will go check out park you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey there, welcome to the area. I live in Silver City, so I am familiar with the trails here.

I would suggest buying a trail map at Gila Hike and Bike here of the forest north of town. I forget the name of it, but it is easier to use than the forest service map.

Then, spend the night here and try the local trails: they are pretty good around town but they tend to be infrequently maintained in most of the Gila. My suggestion would be to find the continental divide trail off of Redrock road and saddlerock road in the Burro mountains because that is the closest to you. It is still a couple of hours away, though.

I bet there is some good dirt road riding around morenci, and some of the trails might be rideable up around hannagan meadow. That would be closer to you. Also, the continental divide trail east of reserve might be worth a shot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Gilarider, thanks for the info. I will be heading over to Silver City next week so I will stop at the shop you mentioned. Thanks again.