mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Riding from town - up Windsor - up Aspen - back down

Ill be in town this weekend and am looking for an epic ride. I have ridden up Windsor in the past. Took me about 3 hours. I have also ridden Aspen vista in the past. Think that one took a little over 2 to get to the top.

I know there is the Big Friggin Loop route out there but that one might be a little much for me. So I was thinking about riding from town to Burn to make my way up Windsor. Then take that right hander to cut across to Aspen. Head up that and then down Ravens to Windsor. Then on the way down make the decision on if I have the legs to hit any of those trails off of Windsor. I for sure will try to save something for Sidewinder.

What are your thoughts on this route? Has anybody done it or something close? Suggestions?

crap magnet
    Maximize your trail time and start at st. Johns. Dorothy Stewart/DBall Central/DBall North/La Piedra/Juan/Burn/Winsor. Then as far as your legs and lungs will take you. That's a big ride if you make it to the top of Ravens. Just guessing, but maybe 35 miles roundtrip and 6000'?
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the feedback. I cannot say that I know about the trails that you talked about riding to get to Burn. I will look at my map to see if they are on there. My plan was to ride from the Plaza up Hyde road to the Nuns trailhead. But I would rather ride on dirt of course.

I also thinking about another option. Ride all the way to the top of Windsor then down REM until it hits PC road. Then ride up that to get back to Windsor. I know the better section of REM is down lower. But Im not sure Ill be able to make it back up to Windsor from the bottom of REM. It seems tricky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    on the third attempt I finally did the ride you are talking about while vacationing in lovely sante fee

got snowed out one year, had mechanical issues the next, finally the third time....

honestly there is some insane riding outside of santa fe, I ended up doing the woosie version of the ride, I think there is a bigger badder way to do it than I did, but it was on the second of two back to back 5 hr plus days and couldn't get it up like I wanted too on day two.

Here is what I did: UP town, hyde park rd, chasmia trail head to the winsor trail, big tesuque all the way to aspen vista, and then summited the radio towers, DOWN through the ski area, winsor trail all the way to the bottom got my sorry azz picked up and driven back to town

it was only 30 miles of riding and 7500 ft of climbing in 5.25 hrs, by the way aspen vista rd was a crusher, 4.6 miles and 1700 ft of climbing thought it would be alittle easier. but it wasn't no walk in the mountains

My fantasy ride: (little to no pavement please) dale ball from town, that new hike a bike trail, tesuque trail, winsor trail, tesuque trail, aspen vista up. Ski area down, winsor trail, burn trail, new hike a bike trail, dale ball back to town, my guess is that would be closer to 8500 to 9000 klimbing plus a couple more miles and an easy hour, hour and half longer