mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Riding around Santa Fe this week

Hello New Mexicans! (Is that what the locals are called?) I am escaping the snowy, muddy trails of Denver to visit your fair state this week and will be staying in Santa Fe for a quick trip. Are the trails there in good shape/dry? And what are some recommendations for trails? I'd like to find some fun, flowy XC type trails if they exist in the area. Thanks for any suggestions!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Best trails in SF right now are the La Tierra trails. Dale Ball trails are only good when frozen, sloppy when warm and it's looking like a warm week, not even getting to freezing at night. Galisteo Basin Preserve trails are also good.

You can check trail conditions on the Santa Fe Fat Tire Society website.

mtbr member
    Just got back from dale ball. Trails are not bad at all. Sure there is some mud, but everything is ridable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schraderlp View Post
    Just got back from dale ball. Trails are not bad at all. Sure there is some mud, but everything is ridable.
    More mudd moar fun.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Jemezc;10233651]Dale Ball trails are only good when frozen, sloppy when warmQUOTE]

Why does everyone keep saying this? This is not true all through the winter and changes every few days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Awesome, thanks so much for the input! Out of those options, is one more fast and flowy than the other?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    [QUOTE=delnorte;10234124]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemezc View Post
    Dale Ball trails are only good when frozen, sloppy when warmQUOTE]

Why does everyone keep saying this? This is not true all through the winter and changes every few days.
    Because right now, it's true. My comment was based on trail feedback I got from over the weekend and Monday. With the snow last week and warm temps forecast for this week, DB will be thawing out completely. And, right now, that means there will be mud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    La Tierra is faster, with some flowy sections. It also has stretches of old double track that are open and fast. DB has some flow, but is generally tighter single track with occasional switchbacks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemezc View Post
    La Tierra is faster, with some flowy sections. It also has stretches of old double track that are open and fast. DB has some flow, but is generally tighter single track with occasional switchbacks.
    It sounds like they are both up my alley. It being the beginning of the season I was thinking that I'd like to avoid super long, sustained climbs. But I love being on singletrack. Heck, I don't really care as long as I'm on my bike. I'll try both.

Thanks for the info. It's much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, word I have is that the north faces of Dale Ball are pure slop in the afternoons. I'd avoid doing any trail damage, please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schraderlp View Post
    what was your route? i rode it weekend before last (before the snow) and aborted early due to the mud and my Fing up the trails for everyone else.
    http://www.santafenm.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/1974
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just back from La Tierra. Dry and all clear, as expected. Dale Ball middle on the western legs are OK until you begin dropping into the Ski Basin Road (north slopes). Dale Ball north is OK on the western legs. No mud. Avoid Dale Ball South entirely, Dorothy Stewart, Atalaya, Secret Agent, Dale Ball middle east legs, and Dale Ball north east legs. With it this soft and muddy erosion will happen if we all ride it like it is. Waiting is difficult, but give it 3 more weeks and all of that will be good. I just can't wait for the hi-country, and that won't be until mid-May!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    La Tierra was fun today. The whoopties put a smile on my face for sure. Thanks again for the recommendations.

mtbr member
    Were you the guy asking how to get to trail 29? I was the guy at the dirt jumps (Trash Pit) with the white dog.

mtbr member
    I was out there yesterday too on a green El Mariachi, what were you riding?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just back from Dale Ball Middle and North.

The whole north section is dry and fast, the middle is dry and fast (there is still snow from 11 down to HWY), and the east section of the middle is still muddy on all northish facing aspects.

Looking from high spots on middle toward Dale Ball South, all northish aspects still snowy, but getting there!

Gentlemen, start your engines, get set.......(wait for it!)......

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It's been a little while. How's the DB network right now ? Anyone been out there in the last day or two ? I usually start on Cerro Gordo road and ride up to the ski basin road from there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Everything below the Chamisa trail is dry. Everything.

mtbr member
    Great news for riding. Horrifying news for fire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Snowpack is 20 to 40% of normal (based on the last three decades) according to Natural Resources Conservation Service. Yes, good news for riding, bad news for possible fires. Ride early and ride long before the possible National Forests closures later in the spring/summer. I sure hope for a ton more moisture!!!

Taos Ski Valley reports 220 inches of total snow this season (325" is average). SF Ski Basin reports 180 inches of total snow this season (225" is average). Averages are based on when snow begins falling to when it ceases, which can be into May or even June historically. We do get significant snows historically in April, after ski season ends. There is hope!

In the meantime, get out for a ride and make some turns while it is still ski season!

Thread Pollution

This week...

I was able to ride Chamisa/Sidewinder this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

mtbr member
    It's hard to trust a SS rider

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Chamisa and Sidewinder (AKA Dragon Back) this week! Great!

mtbr member

Riding around Santa Fe this week

I am going to be in Santa Fe for work this coming I on Wednesday-Friday and I will be bringing my lights if any body wants to ride I am game for whatever or for however long I just want to ride my bike
    Last edited by bikepackingdude; 04-09-2013 at 03:19 PM.
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com