I <3 NM

Ridin' daBone (Tunnel/Otero)

Got a chance to head over to Tunnel/Otero this afternoon to ride "daBone." Cool thing was as I was starting my ride a dude new to ABQ, Brent, pulled into the Tunnel Trailhead and asked about the trails. I invited him to join me and he did (on his Jamis SS). We climbed Tunnel up to West Ridge and then up to where the daBone connects at the ridge. From there we turned north and had a blast descending down to the trailhead. The trail is getting really packed in, but there area a few spots that could use some moisture to pack it in better. Bottomline, "hit that shite!."

Here's some pix:

Tunnel Trailhead:

Very unique terrain & vistas:

Last edited by MTBNate; 11-25-2012 at 06:35 AM.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Its birdhouse not dabone....

I <3 NM
    Yeah yeah.

That name is just too plain vanilla.

Sorry
    Last edited by MTBNate; 11-24-2012 at 07:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Lets call it "Blood Oath". Or. "Buster Cherry" or. Birdhouse...

Or the perfect compromise. "DA Byrd Has!"

Genius
    Just curious. Why "The Birdhouse"? Is it named after some feature I have yet to notice?
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Skerry said some group had placed a number of birdhouses along the ridge for migrating birds of some sort. I haven't seen any birdhouses, not sure if they're still there. So if you don't tweet while you ride, maybe daBone is a better fit.

mtbr member
    We can call it "daBone". You buys built it...I imagine a number of animal bones hanging from the trees along the trail (in addition to the one Bob hung) in the coming years...

I rode it last week and the moisture sure did help although there are still a few spots that need a once over with digging and another round with the chainsaw in a few spots.

When we get more supplies in we'll install the signs and I'll update the trails map. Glad folks are enjoying it. A pretty impressive accomplishment for a season-I can't thank folks enough for coming out and making it happen. Happy riding!

I <3 NM
    Anyone have a GPS track of the new trail? My mapping app choked yesterday - along with my helmet cam battery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    Anyone have a GPS track of the new trail? My mapping app choked yesterday - along with my helmet cam battery.

I was on it Firday and it was perfect, Birdhouse works for me.

I <3 NM
    Thanks. Looks like you had a fun day out there.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So far three times up, and one time down the new trail. I have been seeing at least two to three others every time on the trail, so is getting some use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    [...in addition to the one Bob hung...]

Naw man, didn't hang no bone in no tree. I keep telling you, it was the Chupacabra. He's at home on da Bone. I seen him up there at twilight several times so if you're by yourself, make sure not to come off the bike or he might think you're a goat. You'll smell him before you see him...

mtbr member
    Somehow we missed it today. Went up Tunnel and down Otero. Saw the top end but didn't want to cut the ride short by coming down the new trail. Next time. If I can figure out how to insert a photo, here's my kids arm after not quite getting the 'log' on the way down. He's hoping for a scar; I don't think it was that deep. Missed you on the trail today, Nate. Ray made it...
    No, I can't manage to insert a photo. Fails upload. I hate/love technology.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Somehow we missed it today. Went up Tunnel and down Otero. Saw the top end but didn't want to cut the ride short by coming down the new trail. Next time. If I can figure out how to insert a photo, here's my kids arm after not quite getting the 'log' on the way down. He's hoping for a scar; I don't think it was that deep. Missed you on the trail today, Nate. Ray made it...
    No, I can't manage to insert a photo. Fails upload. I hate/love technology.
    If you want to ride down the new section, you ride up to where the West Ridge Trail intersects The Tunnel Trail.

Take the West Ridge Trail to the top of the ridge where it dead ends at a 'T' intersection. The left (south) part the the 'T' takes you across the ridge and down into Otero near the base property sign. The right (north) branch of the 'T' is the new trail and takes you down to the Tunnel Trailhead near the parking area.

If you take Tunnel all the way over to Otero, you missed the West Ridge trail. It's marked with a sign and its the only trail that connects to Tunnel before you get to Otero Canyon.

Make sense?

It seems to me the West Ridge trail between Tunnel and the top of the ridge has had a lot more bike traffic on it than the last time I'd ridden up it (couple years ago).

mtbr member
    Yep. We went up to the ridge trail and through the withdrawal section. Don,t imagine the AF really cares. Came down Otero and back on pavement to Tunnel. Hiked up part of the new trail in August for a little chain-gang labor but somehow missed it today going up.

I <3 NM
    The new trail is before the withdrawal signage on the Ridge.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was just out there monday