mtbr member

Rides near Artesia

I may be moving to Artesia, and I am wondering what bikes I need to bring for a winter there. I've got pretty much everything in the arsenal of bikes, so what do I need and how is the riding?

mtbr member
    A beach cruiser?

Good luck, man.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoooo
    I may be moving to Artesia, and I am wondering what bikes I need to bring for a winter there. I've got pretty much everything in the arsenal of bikes, so what do I need and how is the riding?
    dam that sux / who'd you pish off?
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

I <3 NM
    Good riding is as close as 60+ miles in the Lincoln National Forest.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    Good riding is as close as 60+ miles in the Lincoln National Forest.
    That would be the glass is 1/2 full perspective.

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

banned
    Artesia?

Sorry, man. The good news is you can make your own trails and you will likely be the only one riding them. Might as well, there ain't much else to do in Artesia!

At least your not moving to Taos...

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Screw you guys, I'm originally from Artesia and there's more riding there than you give credit for. Granted, the best stuff you have to go to Cloudcroft to do, but there is some stuff there.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottap2003
    Screw you guys, I'm originally from Artesia and there's more riding there than you give credit for. Granted, the best stuff you have to go to Cloudcroft to do, but there is some stuff there.
    No doubt Artesia is a wonderful place to be from. I'm originally from Hobbs, and growing up I spent plenty of time kicking about in and around Artesia, Roswell, Carlsbad, etc. They can be fine places to live for many. I have family there; however, once I got hooked on the MTBike thing, I abandoned any and all notions of ever moving back.

My dad and his friends were big into motor dirt bikes. We spent almost every weekend (many by Maljamar) hanging out and riding at different spots around SE NM. Good times, back in the day.

For Mtn biking though, SE NM ain't got much to offer but sandy rocky oilfield roads, sandy rocky ranch roads, sandy rocky section line roads, and wide open, dry, brown, flat spaces, caliche fields and desiccated cow chips.

If you like riding a road bike on flat, straight, wind-blown, remote, looooong, low traffic country roads, then there is no place better.

Just the facts, just the facts.

Hey, at least it's not Clovis.
    Last edited by LCdaveH; 08-06-2009 at 08:21 AM.

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Anyway, back to the topic at hand. If you end up in Artesia, let me know, I'll put you in contact with some of the guys I ride with. More than one too. I can also tell you about some of the rides we do down in Carlsbad, up in Cloudcroft, and some of the stuff right there within 20 miles of Artesia. There really isn't much within city limits and the outlying towns other than " sandy rocky oilfield roads, sandy rocky ranch roads, sandy rocky section line roads, and wide open, dry, brown, flat spaces, caliche fields and desiccated cow chips," but I can put you in touch with some people that know some decent rides.

Hey, wait up!
    All in good spirit.

Local flavor.

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    being from hobbs myself, there isnt much riding here, there are a few spots very few spots that offers a cheap thrill, but is posted and you can be arrested if caught, there are a few mountain bike trails around the carlsbad area, but i havent been to them yet so i dont know if they are worth the drive over there or not

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    If you were gonna drive from Hobbs to Carlsbad, you might as well just go to Cloudcroft. Carlsbad's okay in the winter, when you can't go anywhere else, but unless you know one of about 10 guys down there, the only trails you're gonna ride are pretty boring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    well most of my rides are pretty boring by most peoples standards anyways, i have alot of friends that farm and ranch so most of my riding is on their properties, in the winter small game hunting and spring and summer pest control, and year round preditor control, its amazing how much closer i can get on a bike than i can in a motor vehicle or even on foot, also im new to this, started doing it to help get back into shape, i couldnt keep up with any real mtb'ers