mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Ride out of Bishops Lodge to trails access??? Need advice.

This weekend we will be staying at the Bishops Lodge. I am wondering if I can hit some trails without doing too much road riding or using the car. It looks like the back of Dale Ball might get close. Not sure where the access points are other than the parking lot.

How about the Windsor or any other trails.

Just looking for something quick where I can sneak out for a couple of hours. I want to try and make my main ride for the trip to be in Los Alamos (Pajarito). I am guessing it will take an hour to drive to that Mountain they have there. Figure I will start at sunrise and put in a good 6 hours. I was thinking about hitting their blue XC trail up, around, and back down (Aspen and Aspenola). Then maybe take some greens back up then some blacks down.

Any online trail maps out there for Dale Ball or Windsor. I buy a map every time I go and always seem to loose the damn thing. I have all my maps from everywhere else.

Thanks

mtbr member
    The Dale Ball trails will likely be your best bet as the higher elevation stuff got a fair amount of snow over the weekend. Another plus to the DB network is there are signs at every intersection so getting lost would be difficult.

Unfortunately Pajarito may also be snow covered. Maybe one of the LA fellas will chime in with specifics.

Are you from Round Rock, TX?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    Are you from Round Rock, TX?
    Yes I am.

Dale Ball is fine with me, I have done it before. Very similar trails to what we have in Austin with its twist and quick ups and downs. Just not quite as rocky or ledgey.

I saw that you guys got some snow. I have no idea what that means. Does it fall, stick, and stay until spring? Or will it melt off once the sun hits it and not stick until it gets really cold. Hopefully I will be able to hit the high mountains somewhere.

rohloff rich
    You can ride right from Bishops Lodge to access the Nat'l Forest. If you head up the road toward the skeet shooting area, there will be a trail that talkes off to the left after you pass the main area up there. That will lead down to the Tesuque Creek which eventually gets you to Nun's Corner. From there you can head up to Sidewinder which will take you to Chamisa and Winsor. I think that the Winsor from Chamisa to Borrego (and even farther up) is very likely snow-free (the snow line looked pretty high). Bichop's Lodge will provide you with a map of some of the trails, but I think you would probably want a better map if you get very far into the National Forest as I've described.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundRockTJ
    Yes I am.

Dale Ball is fine with me, I have done it before. Very similar trails to what we have in Austin with its twist and quick ups and downs. Just not quite as rocky or ledgey.

I saw that you guys got some snow. I have no idea what that means. Does it fall, stick, and stay until spring? Or will it melt off once the sun hits it and not stick until it gets really cold. Hopefully I will be able to hit the high mountains somewhere.
    I'm familiar with Austin's fine trails. I get out that way pretty much every Thanksgiving for some warmth and rocky goodness.

It's a toss up whether or not the snow will melt, and if it does mud may be an issue. Rich's (rs3o) suggestion you ride Winsor is a good one. That trail doesn't have much of the clay mud-of-misery some of our trails have. So you should be fine riding it whether or not the snow melts.

Are you limited to riding in Santa Fe? Plenty of options further south...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    That trail doesn't have much of the clay mud-of-misery some of our trails have.

Are you limited to riding in Santa Fe? Plenty of options further south...
    Yea I bombed down that trail in a down pour one summer without issue.

I can go as far south as albuquerque but I do not think that is what you meant.

mtbr member
    Yea I bombed down that trail in a down pour one summer without issue.

I can go as far south as albuquerque but I do not think that is what you meant.

I am in Albuquerque and can play guide if you want to come down this way. What day are you looking to do the longer ride?

mtbr member
    Pajarito is clear right now. We didn't get the snow in the Jemez that the Sangre de Cristo's got. Barring any nasty weather this week, you should be able to hit pretty much any trail you want on the ski hill.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am going to Austin next week. What should I hit?
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    Walnut creek is nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    Pajarito is clear right now. We didn't get the snow in the Jemez that the Sangre de Cristo's got. Barring any nasty weather this week, you should be able to hit pretty much any trail you want on the ski hill.

Sweet. Looks like something might blow through on Saturday. We will see. Pajarito was what I had on my mind since it will be something new. I will be doing a butt crack of dawn so I am sure I will freeze my tail off. I might be out there on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3o
    You can ride right from Bishops Lodge to access the Nat'l Forest. If you head up the road toward the skeet shooting area, there will be a trail that talkes off to the left after you pass the main area up there. That will lead down to the Tesuque Creek which eventually gets you to Nun's Corner. From there you can head up to Sidewinder which will take you to Chamisa and Winsor. I think that the Winsor from Chamisa to Borrego (and even farther up) is very likely snow-free (the snow line looked pretty high). Bichop's Lodge will provide you with a map of some of the trails, but I think you would probably want a better map if you get very far into the National Forest as I've described.
    Thats what Im talking about. Leave the car at home. Always nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

http://www.austinbike.com/index.asp

Barton Creek Greenbelt is a popular one. In the heart of town. Lots of rocks. If you see a trail or 10 heading away from the main trail up the hill...take it.

City park is also nice. (Emma Long). Lots of ledges.

mtbr member
    Walnut Creek, the Green Belt, and City Park are all great suggestions. All three are very different in terms of technical challenge. None will pose the same physical challenge as what you were so kind to take me on in Taos. We just don't have those climbs. That said, it is still great riding. You may also want to consider Reimer's Ranch - it does have a modest use fee. But if the weather stays nice, you take take a nice dip in Hamilton Pool afterward. Also, Tuesday night is the Dirt Derby for a little short track action on our local moto cross track. Send me a PM if I can help you with more...
    Life is Uncertain. Don't Stop!
    - from a bottle of Laguanitas IPA

mtbr member
    If you can find a local to show the goods your mind will be blown, (granted you like the tech).

The only advice I can give via interweb mimics RRTJ's. Hit BCGB and look for off-shoots. Emma Long City Park will not disappoint either. RHR is good fun too, and not far from Austin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am working on the local thing. (Brian??) Thanks for all the advice guys, I am looking forward to riding down there as all the high stuff here has snow on it and we have 6 weeks to wait to ski.

We got so lost in Barton Creek area last year, ended up carrying bikes out, ug.

I am planning on hitting the Tuesday race thing.

PM me if you want to give up the secret goods, I wont tell and I might have a nice little trade up this way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    This weekend we will be staying at the Bishops Lodge. I am wondering if I can hit some trails without doing too much road riding or using the car. It looks like the back of Dale Ball might get close. Not sure where the access points are other than the parking lot.

How about the Windsor or any other trails.

Thanks
    I'd go north a 100 yards or so to the horse stables and look for a newly graded dirt road climbing north/north east. Stay on this road for about 3-4 minutes and then take the next left. This will put you just above the Windsor trail head. Bingo - you're in. And a way easier than climbing Sidewinder too boot.

banned
    I am working on the local thing. (Brian??) .
    Whats up Greg?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sorry Brian, I meant my friend in Austin that has been up here. I hope you are well.

banned
    All good!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sorry Brian, I meant my friend in Austin that has been up here. I hope you are well.
    Strange, I was wondering how you knew that MY name was Brian. I guess there is more than 1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Maybe more than 1.
    The targeted Bryan has been located and contacted. Sorry for the mix up guys.

GeoMan
    Keep a low profile riding in, around, or out of Bishops Lodge Resort.

I happen to live nearby and have been ordered off BLR property by their equestrian enthusiasts/managers. They do not condone mountain bikers on their remote property (which is a very large tract of land with a trail system that gives you no forewarning on boundaries) though enforcement is lax at best. Most of the time there's no problem at all. Once in a while someone there becomes concerned that a biker is going to spook a horse or two and "risk" one of their guests. Frankly, I worry more about the horses harming one of us!

Have a great time in NM, mountain biking's best kept secret.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Keep a low profile riding in, around, or out of Bishops Lodge Resort.
    Have a great time in NM, mountain biking's best kept secret.
    I hope they will cut me some slack since they will be tapping into my plastic money fund. Just staying there our first two nights. Saturday night hotels at the square require some major cha ching. Had to wait till Tuesday when rates are half of what they are on Saturday.

GeoMan
    I hope they will cut me some slack since they will be tapping into my plastic money fund. Just staying there our first two nights. Saturday night hotels at the square require some major cha ching. Had to wait till Tuesday when rates are half of what they are on Saturday.
    Don't blame you there! But Bishops Lodge is a very sweet location and a nice place to boot.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com