mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Returning rider ISO new bike too

Howdy folks,
    I'm Josh, down in Clovis right now. Just wanted to say hello, aught to be riding around SF and ABQ here soon.
    Grew up riding cross country and some single track, stopped riding when I went to school and decided this is a great place to start back.

This brings me to the first hurdle, let me preface by saying I've looked through CL and the classifieds on here.

I'm in search of a bike, looking for a 27.5 medium preferably FS. Going to continue to ride like I did both CC and some single track, but I'm looking for more of a free ride style that I can dabble into downhill every now and again. I know what you're thinking.. you want one bike that does what you would at least need two for.

I know I'm probably asking for a lot there, but I'm open and looking for any advice, and if anyone has a used bike that they've upgraded from please let me know.

Looking forward to seeing yall on the mountain

Josh

banned
    May 2014
    Gonna be slim pickins on a 27.5 FS on Craigslist.

I still ride an 04-05 Turner RFX/Six Pack, and they are plenty of bike for around here. Can't beat the price either! My advice is find a good ole 26'er at a decent price and get familiar with your riding preferences.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Cool thanks!
    Yeah its been tough, that's why I was hoping someone might have an extra laying around, going to check out some local shops in Abq this weekend see what they have lying around and what I like riding. Bikes these days, heck of a lot cooler than the ones I was riding about 6 years ago

mtbr member
    Whats your budget??
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Oo this is where it gets fun, I'm realizing that to get into what I would like its going to have to be around 2k... I would love to be under it but I don't think its going to happen unless I find some kind of crazy deal.

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsoletebaboon View Post
    Oo this is where it gets fun, I'm realizing that to get into what I would like its going to have to be around 2k... I would love to be under it but I don't think its going to happen unless I find some kind of crazy deal.
    This is very similar to what I ride...

Turner Six pack Large W/ 5.5 rockers & TNT rear extra parts - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That's a pretty sweet little ride, will have to check it out for sure!! So thoughts, Like I said I'm still really into the research/advice gathering stages. I kinda want a FS so I can bomb onto and off of stuff both locally (in a quarry) and on the trail. But, would I be better off using my budget to get a higher end hard tail, or a mediocre FS?

mtbr member
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the help!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Didn't realize you could search specific locations on Pinkbike, thats great!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a Tallboy for sale, great XC bike, not so great downhill bike. It's a 29er too.

GF got a Kona Process 134 and it rocks. 650b, 140mm travel, dropper post, but just out of your budget at $2600.

I got a Process 153, and it would fit your bill to a T but they are $$.

banned
    May 2014
    There are a lot of options at around 2k, but you really need to know what you intend to use it for. If you want a true all-rounder, it's gonna cost you (exception being the Turner). I have two!

Fug went with a hardtail for about 3 months if I remember correctly.

Returning rider ISO new bike too-horst.oldskool2.jpgReturning rider ISO new bike too-og.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    I have a Tallboy for sale, great XC bike, not so great downhill bike. It's a 29er too.

GF got a Kona Process 134 and it rocks. 650b, 140mm travel, dropper post, but just out of your budget at $2600.

I got a Process 153, and it would fit your bill to a T but they are $$.
    No pictures of the 153? hows it ride?

the hard tail is a fun bike its just not cut out for REM red mesa or Pajarito.... but I would never suggest to use me as an example of bike choice. Ive been pedaling an 8inch bike on xc rides in the foothills lately
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah I forgot to text you back, sorry. The Process freaking rips. It's a style of bike I am not used to but it feels natural to me, just need to dial in how to really hit corners with speed. For a 6" bike it feels great going up hill and super fun going down. It seems more efficient than my Tomac Diplomat.

Square edge stuff feels a bit harsher than the Tomac, but I feel like I can point it in any direction up or down and just go.

Will get pics later. Might go ride at summerfest and see how it handles the chunk.

banned
    May 2014
    I should have added that I would not expect to get $1700 for either one of my bikes in this market, and that is why I'd likely never sell them unless I were desperate. If I were interested in the add that I posted I'd probably haggle him down to somewhere in the $1500 range, since I'd most likely be looking at upgrading the suspension. Those old Turners aren't exactly an off the shelf item, but well worth the sweat equity if put in the time to tune them to your preferences. Personally, I like dinking around with bikes, but I suppose that's pretty rare these days.

Good luck with whatever you purchase. You are welcome to take one of mine for a test ride if you like.