Thread: resources

Genius

resources

There are only so many resources
    Yet consumers are driven by industry in so many different directions these days, it's almost impossible to slow down and look at the activity of MTB as a whole.

Imagine if we all had our own life size building blocks, all alone, in our own little cube, like Danny MacAskill. Wouldn't that be cool?

These little "cubes" exist but they need not be mentioned here. They lay on private land for their protection from those that will sanitize and otherwise alter/destroy them.
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 07-08-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

I <3 NM
    Interesting idea.. privatizing pubic lands to save them from the lowest denominator of the general public.

Might be the way of the future.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

I <3 NM
    As (my hero) Pogo once said...

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Have you seen Brandon Semenuks house? Quite possibly the best cube around as far as back yard riding goes....

mtbr member
    My neighbors better hope i never get divorced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resources-park.jpg  

mtbr member
    That is amazing!
    Ride: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justamember View Post
    Maybe we should privatize the FooHills...WooT!
    Ever fish Shady Lakes? Some things shouldn't be privatized.

mtbr member
    We had something similar (but smaller scale) in college. The landlord was not impressed....

but i want to ride now
    on that backyard.....

......WIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN!!!!
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    The lowest denominator of the general public? The foothills, National Forests, wilderness, does not seem to be a popular destination for that crowd. Lowest common denominator of the MTB general public? That's another story.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Walmart sells more mountain bikes in any given zip code than all other retailers combined. The widest common MTB group is riding the streets in front of their houses. Some make it to the bosque trail and then maybe the foothills. Where they go from there depends on whether it clicks or not. But, we all started on some street, barely able to balance and after that, there is always some strata of riders above and below us. Find your stratum and when you get bored, move to the next one. And keep moving until your wife is really pissed at what you've done to the back yard.

mtbr member

Good job!

^
    +1
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    I see it like organic foods: you can't feed the world on it, but I can feed my family and that's what's important to me. Angelfire probably can't cover all possible permutations of downhill riding, but they can cover some while Crested Butte covers others, etc. It's all out there and it's always changing, but so are my riding preferences. Moab is only 6 hours away. If I can't find something to like there, I've got an attitude problem, not a resource problem (as long as I take my own beer). Same goes for fishing, hunting, music, art, motorcycling, philosophy, Tai Chi or archeology... it's all there. We just have to decide what is important to us and go for it... I need a new wheelset; anyone looking for a nice Gibson SG? (choices, eh?)

mtbr member
    *From today's Journal*
    Trails project may set bad precedent
    A RECENT ARTICLE about the Placitas Area Trails Project failed to mention that the proposed trail management ideas put forth by the Sandia Ranger District of the Cibola National Forest are in a nationally protected Research Natural Area. Published in the Forest Service Manual, an RNA is designated this way: “Do not permit roads, trails, fences, or signs on an established RNA unless they contribute to the protection of the area ... . Any activity within an RNA cannot compromise the values for which it is established. Types of usages within RNAs are restricted to scientific research, passive observation and monitoring, and/or educational use.” In other words, the Forest Service’s own manual states that this large RNA area is not to be used for recreational purposes.
    Given the number of illegally poached mountain bike trails in the RNA over recent years, it is up to the Forest Service to abide by its own rules. Otherwise, are all national RNAs across the country in jeopardy by Sandia Ranger District’s setting a precedent in this watershed?
    Efforts to enforce the RNA designation seem futile at this point. The only hope is to educate the users and abusers of the area to honor what it took many caring residents, including scientists and environmentalists, to achieve — an enforceable document to protect a fragile grassland that, once gone, won’t ever come back. It is not an urban playground. Individuals submitting comments during this public input period may wish to keep this in mind.
    CHRIS HUBER
    Placitas
    The Dude abides.