mtbr member

Rental near Socorro?

I'm going to be out in the Socorro area w/ some friends in late Feb/early March and want to hit the trails. Is there anyone who has mountain bikes to rent in the area?

Also, what do you recommend for an approx 2hr ride for intermediate riders? What is the recommended equipment for the area? Are there any shuttle friendly trails?

Thanks

C S
    mtbr member
    The closest rentals will be in Albuquerque. I do not think there is even a bike shop in Socorro anymore.

As far as rides, are you looking for steep climbing/descending or more flowy desert trails? You'll be hard pressed to find a solid 2 hour ride. There is a trail just off the NMT campus referred to as "the singletrack" that is a good intermediate ride and is a bit over an hour IIRC if you include the road to/from campus. Not sure if there is a map of this one or not - the trail itself is easy to follow. After you cross the second fence, there will be a T intersection that is where the loop trail comes back to itself. Usually do it clockwise. The start can be a little hard to find the first time. Coming from campus and heading past the golf course and then west/north on the back road out, it will start at a gate on the west side of the road, after the big gate in the road. I don't remember which gate it is, maybe the second or third. But there is an obvious singletrack starting behind it and there used to be a couple of bike related stickers on the gate itself. Almost immediately you will hit another fence with a crossing and signs. Another ride worth doing is the trail(s) that used to be used for the cerrillos del coyote XC race. The cerrillos del coyotes course is pretty fun and fast, not very technical. One lap is done in around an hour or so. I preferred this trail over the singletrack mostly because it has a couple decent climbs in it at various points. The singletrack is basically all up and then all down.

Cerrillos Del Coyote

There are a handful of trails in the magdalena mountains to the west. *If* there is any snow this winter, there may still be some snow up high in late Feb. Shuttle-able trails are the South Baldy and Copper Canyon trails (have to do a little uphill at the start of Copper Canyon). Neither is really worthy of a big bike, ride whatever you have. There are a couple others that can be ridden both directions. These tend to be steeper and more technical than the trails in the desert near Socorro. For info on the trails in the Magdalenas, look here:

http://www.magdalena-nm.com/hiking_t...scriptions.pdf

mtbr member
    We prefer flowy as a group, but I do enjoy some tech thrown in. Looks like I'll be looking into shipping our bikes or taking them with us. Thanks for all the great info! I'll be looking at those websites. Hope we're able to get out on the trail.

I <3 NM
    ABQ is an hr north, might be worth riding around the Foothills?
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.