mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Remove your wheels, add skis and carve.

Find a pair of used skis at Goodwill. Cut them in half, approximately. Measure them so that the front ski does not

interfere with the back ski. They don't need to be exactly the same length, but it helps.

Get a length of 4x4. Cut into 4 short sections. Drill a hole in 2 of the pieces for hub axles and your cones/locknuts, 100mm and 135mm. Space your locknuts accordingly.

The other option is to cut 2 of the 4x4 sections in half, and then use a dremel tool to bevel out indentations for the

hubs to sit in. After doing so, attach the top piece and attach them with screws. You'll need to use screws to join

the sections of 4x4 together, and then to attach the skis to the 4x4 'mounts'.

Make 2 small holes in the tip of each ski. Using bungie cords or something else, attach the tips of the skis to the

front fork, and the seat tube/bb intersection. Tension on these 'retainer cords' will allow the ski tips to remain

upright if you hit a dropoff, or go off a jump.

Next, find a set of cheap cranks. Cut them in half. Drill holes at the bottom of each, and then tap threads for

pedals. The pedals will not drive a chain obviously, and you can't go uphill, but they are a place for your feet and aid in controlling the 'skibike'. If you want brakes, the most effective thing I've tried are 2 carpentry spikes, duct taped to my pedals. By putting one of the pedals down at 6 o'clock and pushing back/down with my heel, I can get the carpentry spikes to dig into the snow and slow the bike down or even come to a complete stop in the right situation.

Of course you'll probably want to remove most of the components from the bike if you want to use them in the summer. Suspension bikes work best (they help to carve the metal edges on the skis) but a rigid bike will work too. If you know how to ski and how to ride a bike, skibiking is something you can pick up pretty fast. Tight turns and hockey stops are easy to master after a bit of practice.

The picture here is at the top of Black Canyon in Hyde Park, looking torward Thompson Peak. Get your skills up before you ride singletrack on a skibike though!

Anyone have a snowmobile and want to try some skibiking this winter ? I would like to hook up with someone who can tow me up some significant vertical. Santa Fe ski area does not allow skibikes, which is lame so I am limited to hiking so far this season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove your wheels, add skis and carve.-thompson-peak-winter-2-skibike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This bike is a POS I picked up for $50. I didn't want to invest much money in a bike for the snow.

With all the parts and labor, I think the whole thing was less than $100.

mtbr member
    Ride down La bahada hill. Looks fun but not as fun as regular ski ing..... put a bell on it and make it a commuter.

Is the bike OK?
    Nice work! I'm not sure if they would allow this homemade contraption but Sipapu rents ski bikes on their mountain. They're not too far and lift tickets are cheap. I'd like to try a Lenz ski bike someday: Lenz Sport full suspension ski bikes
    Last edited by nealpederson; 12-16-2012 at 08:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, Lenzsport makes some nice stuff.

mtbr member
    Looks like you can leave the wheels on!

"Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    Nice work! I'm not sure if they would allow this homemade contraption but Sipapu rents ski bikes on their mountain. They're not too far and lift tickets are cheap. I'd like to try a Lenz ski bike someday: Lenz Sport full suspension ski bikes
    This Saturday and Sunday (it's always the first weekend in January) are ski bike demo days at Sipapu. A vendor (skibikefun.com) is there and you can try out all the ski bikes for FREE (need a lift pass of course).

Had a good time playing with a Lenz last year.

Here's a link for reference:
    Events Calendar