mtbr member

Reminder - Last work Days for the Season - October 13 & 14

We're really close to getting this trail finished. Won't you come out weekend after next and help us finish? You can even cut the ribbon....

Oct 13 & 14 Tunnel Canyon trailhead 9:30 - 2:00

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Just posting again to put it at the top of the list. If you've thought about coming out this season or want to come out again, here's your last chance to do manual labor with a bunch of swell folks for the remainder of the season....

Hope to see you out for a day or two.

Thanks.

K

mtbr member
    I'd say we had about 15 volunteers today and we finished the top! For tomorrow, we'll finish the bottom and do a little clean/touch up including cutting all the stumps. I'm taking my bike to do an inaugural ride after the work day. Would be great to get about the same number of folks tomorrow so we can put this project in the books. Thanks so much for everyone helping make this happen.

Please remember, it's a new trail, we haven't had any moisture in a while so it will take some time to compact and get fast so be careful in those turns!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    I...I'm taking my bike to do an inaugural ride after the work day.
    I was thinking MTBNate's idea would be more appropriate after we finish for the day: Ibuprofen and IPA. The oak in those burn scars was no fun.

mtbr member
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this trail it's done and it's pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Yep we finished yesterday. The end near Tunnel is really soft and not dug all the way out. We had a short crew (3) vols so it was a lot to finish in addition to cutting all the stumps along the trail. Either way, thanks so much for everyone who contributed. I especially would like to thank Bob G. and Tim G. who were there for almost every workday (Bob missed one but made up for it working additional days not scheduled).

Despite being exhausted from a 6 mile hike with a chainsaw, I rode the trail yesterday and gps'd it and I'm showing 2.4 miles! Another great trail for a great system. We'll get signs up as soon as we have materials and we have just a few more trees that need to go but I ran out of saw gas so we'll have to get up there one more time.

It's still really soft and bumpy but I really love the section up top where you come out of the trees and get those expansive views of the Sandias....really cool.

REMEMBER - IT'S SOFT AND STILL NEEDS TO COMPACT - BE CAREFUL ON THOSE TURNS!!

From TrailWork

These two are responsible for 10-15% of the total labor this season. Thanks Bob and Tim! Now take a weekend off and go ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Can't believe Skerry rode afterwards. I didn't feel right until Tuesday. Looked like we were going to finish early when Stu tied into his BFR. The BFR came out but I think it squeezed the rest of the juice out of us. And straightened out the rock bar Bruce bent earlier on the Bone...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Is the entrance to this trail easy to find? Where does it start?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr boo boo View Post
    Is the entrance to this trail easy to find? Where does it start?
    Yes. Just inside the Tunnel trailhead the new trail starts just off of the first arroyo on the right or (if you just want to ride down and not up) you can pick it up at the top of Rambo.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks! Can't wait to try it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The new trail is seeing a lot of traffic. Very loose, we badly need some precip. Amazing how sections will fly by but took many, many hours to hack through.

but i want to ride now
    Rode it today, aint no way I'm going down it until it firms up. Switchbacks are currently 4in. of powder. Besides that, thanks to all the volunteers who built an awesome new trail!
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    I'm stuck here in the DC area with Hurricane Sandy about to bear down on us. Wish I could send some moisture that way. However, it will be nice to see some sun when we get back west (whenever that happens...flights cancelled).

There are still a few trees that will have to come out in a spot or two and hopefully those turns will firm up after some moisture.....

Genius
    Yes. You guys did a nice job. Its definitely a workout on the way up with all the beach sand. It needs moisture to pack it in. Coming back down is sweet tho!! Even with the deep sand its pretty fast.

Again, well done.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Calling on Trail Fairies and Berm Queens: On Friday Dec 7 or Saturday Dec 8 I'm planning to head up Der Bone, Birdcage, Burning Man, or whatever you want to call it and fix the fourth climbing turn. It never did get finished and will get really torn up when the motos get on it.
    Short hike, not a huge project, I think we just need to berm the lower section and widen it by pulling the stump at the top.
    4 to 5 people max will do it. I've got tools but you'll need a hardhat and gloves.
    Sanitizing the turn? Maybe, but Skerry gave the OK about a month ago and he can change his mind any time until I unload tools. Please send me a message off line if you're interested. Depends on the weather of course.