mtbr member

New question here. Red Mesa directions / map?

Thinking about checking out Red Mesa on Saturday PM. Can someone help me out with some directions? All I've found so far on the forum are pics, but I gather it's not too far from White Mesa?

Cheers,

Rob

I ride with tools
    Head out to San Ysidro on 550. Go about a mile past the junction with Highway 4, watch for a parking lot on the right, just past a wide spot / semi trailer pull-out.

Park and go through the gate and ride up the hill about a half mile. You have 2 options here, you'll want to try both. You can go left over the fence and explore the trails to that side, lots of fun stuff on mostly dirt trails. Do it.

Eventually you'll get lost or backtrack and end up exploring the stuff more to the north / east / right side of the road (which ends in another parking lot for the moto-trials riders who have keys to the gate). There are more trails here on mostly rock, also several open rocky areas with all manner of technical lines to try. LOTS of fun to be had if you like this kind of riding. Find an arroyo and ride down it then back up. There are at least 7 of these.

There are no maps to speak of, and trails and junctions are mostly unmarked.

Have fun, but bring a friend and a cell phone. Tubeless is good too, lots of cactus.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jim!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I explored this area this morning using the directions above! WOW, what a place! Somehow I rode 8.5 miles! I'd love to join you guys next time you're out there. I found some pretty cool stuff, but haven't developed an eye for it yet.

I was pretty hot, though. I imagine the season is almost over for this area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    I explored this area this morning using the directions above! WOW, what a place! Somehow I rode 8.5 miles! I'd love to join you guys next time you're out there. I found some pretty cool stuff, but haven't developed an eye for it yet.

I was pretty hot, though. I imagine the season is almost over for this area?
    Its a little more techy then the south foothills huh.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    From what I've seen of the South Foothills, my sidewalk is techier than they are. Hoping some people will show me where the good stuff is, though.

Genius
    Follow the powerlines. Plenty of tech in SFH.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Okay, so I've tried that, and all I've found are loose, washed out lines that go straight down. I saw some dudes on 5" or 6" bikes out there one day, so I asked them about techy stuff, and their reply was, literally, "Ya just gotta go faster, bro!" Then they proceeded to skid and tail-whip their way down yet another steep, sandy wash...

Is that what you're talking about?

What about the stuff in those videos, with the rock gardens and rollers and whatnot? Are they near the powerlines also? I'm assume they're off side trails that you have to look for.

mtbr member
    A bunch of stuff is at copper near the rock climbing stuff and a little east. Also if you go to fooville theres the nuke cactus trail which is awesome. Whats your normal ride out there? it would be easier to give you directions from your own land marks then my own. Wish i could meet you for a ride then it would be much easier but im swamped with work .... ps the loose down hill is the tip of the iceburg

Genius
    Ride directly under the power lines. Fuglio has a nice vid here of the powerline and some other areas. It's much steeper than it it looks in the video and he makes it look easy. Showoff!

Also, go slow and look side to side. There is some tech here and there hidden off of the main trail.
    Last edited by De La Pena; 05-13-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Na. A-lines not in that vid. But it is all 29er hard tail friendly.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    First off, thanks a TON for being so helpful and bearing with me.

Okay, I haven't checked around the climbing areas yet. I'm actually a climber, so I know my way around there, but wasn't looking for bike stuff while I was climbing!

I see Nuke Cactus trail on Strava. Is there anything else worthwhile in this area marked on Strava? It looks like about 1/2 of the stuff in the video bobby just posted is down near I-40, I haven't gotten that far South.

So I rode the power line trail from the water tank at Indian School down to the switchbacks by Copper one day, and didn't see much off to the sides, but I didn't really know what to look for.

Then, last week I parked at Copper, checked out the 3 or 4 little rock piles in that open area, and didn't see much. Then I rode South on TR 365 toward I-40. The trail went up a little, and between two hills. I HAB'ed up a rocky wash on the hill to the East of 365, thinking it might be a good ride down. At the top I was directly under a large power pole, and there was a fence running North along the base of the hills. The dh was okay, but not worth the HAB up.

The hill to the West of 365 had a couple slides on it. I rode a trail around that, which was mildly entertaining. Then I came back and rode up the switchbacks to the SE of U-Mound.

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Na. A-lines not in that vid. But it is all 29er hard tail friendly.
    Roger, roger. powerline not A line.

Here is A line courtesy of RCC

A line-power line SFH on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Lets not forget this is a red mesa thread

Red Mesa Part Cinco from RCC on Vimeo.

WildWest 0001 - YouTube