mtbr member

Recomment LBS in Abq?

Trying to get back into mtb'ing after quite a few years and extra pounds *ahem*

Any recommendations for a LBS to check out here in Abq? Since I'm just looking for an entry level bike, good recommendations and service are more important to me at this time than specific brands...

banned
    Bikeworks...of course!

I am not positive, but I think they even have some consignments.

Single Speed Junkie
    Think that they do have a few bikes on consignments.

The guys over a bikeworks really know their stuff and have great customer service. Actually I would consider it the ONLY shop in ABQ worth visiting. (sure that is a bold statement, but after a few experiences around town I could back that up.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If Rio Rancho is not too far a drive for you...you really should drop by High Desert Bikes just off Southern Ave. This, like Bikeworks is owner run and a very dependable shop with folks who really know their product lines

mtbr member
    If you're into Specialized bikes and gear there's a new shop opening (The Kickstand), Lee from Sportz Outdoors, and previously ABC (when they still carried Specialized and didn't suck like they do now) will be in charge. He's a good guy who knows his shite. Pretty sure it will be located at Indian School & Tramway, and from what I hear will be deal solely in Specialized bikes, gear, and apparel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    Think that they do have a few bikes on consignments.

The guys over a bikeworks really know their stuff and have great customer service. Actually I would consider it the ONLY shop in ABQ worth visiting. (sure that is a bold statement, but after a few experiences around town I could back that up.)

Where is bike works? For some reason I thought they were on the west side. A quick google search shows them around carlisle and candelaria.

The west side is too far for me to go for a bike shop, however, I might check out this one.

banned
    Carlisle, between Menaul and Cadelaria...west side of the street in the new shopping cntr.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I guess I was thinking of High Desert Bikes - Since I live in Edgewood, I'm not going there. But I do work downtown, so I'll try out bikeworks.

Really, with the demos and and advice and help I've been getting from Sport Systems, I'm planning on getting a Yeti from them in the spring. But I like to have a couple of shop options.

mtbr member

Recommended LBS in Albuquerque

Been to Albq to race/ride since '82 and during my visits went to most of the shops, (some now closed). I like to spend what i call my "Happy Money", meaning I am happy when I go into a shop and spend me $$. If I am ignored or misstreated I don't go there and spend my $. Simple. I've spent my Happy $ @ Sport Systems and ABC. I would to ABQ to race @ Sandia and always made it a point to stop @ ABC just to say thanks to them for supporting the races.
    Recently (a year ago) a new shop opened up, Bikewroks, on Carlisle. Great place I spent lots of Happy $$ there! Been treated with courtesy and respect. Also have had fun there just visiting.
    I understand there are a few newer shops in the ALB area but haven't been there yet. I plan to go by High Desert Bikes on my next trip since they are close to the start of the San Ysidro Dirty Century. I want to go and ride out in that area.
    My suggestion is to go to all the shops close by and see how you are treated and go with that. Good luck to you! I know what it is like to go to a shop and be ignored, disrespected, dissed, by the owner. There is a place like that here in La Cruz, and they sell golf clubs also
    Too bad you don't live in La Cruz (Las Cruces). Outdoor Adventures is THE shop top go!!
    I had to go to Bikeworks cause Outdoor isn't a Maverick dealer.
    Good luck to you!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

banned
    They carry Turners now too!

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    They carry Turners now too!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys! I'm actually taking of monday or tuesday to do the rounds all in one go

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    High Desert Bikes is a Yeti Dealer and currently has a couple 575's on sale

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankarm
    High Desert Bikes is a Yeti Dealer and currently has a couple 575's on sale
    The way I'm looking at it is Sport Systems put the effort into putting on demos that got me interested in the Yeti. They have earned my next bike purchase.
    Doesn't mean I'm not interested in finding other good shops, but I like to reward the good shops and Sport Systems has taken pretty good care of me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like ABC and Bike N Sport in Santa Fe. I live in the East Mtns and Santa Fe is not that far up North 14. I bought a HiFi Carbon there and the guys really know their stuff and they carry some great brands, Ibis, Yeti, Specialized, Titus, Scott, Fisher, Ellsworth, Orbea.

mtbr member
    my pom poms are cheering for high desert also. i travel to rio rancho 5 times a year on business and stop in every time i am up there. the guys have even gotten to know my name and great me with a smile when i roll in. not bad for an out of towner. besides after you spend your money there you can drown your sorrows in some tasty turtle mountain brew and a monzano calzone......man i got to get my ace back to town....
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

banned
    Word on the street is Bikeworks has got a fresh keg of Marble IPA and they are looking for a few good drinkers.

7MGTE
    Word on the street is Bikeworks has got a fresh keg of Marble IPA and they are looking for a few good drinkers.
    Nice! I know where I will be for lunch

banned
    mmmm.....good beer!

7MGTE
    mmmm.....good beer!
    Hell yeah it was glad I went for lunch to check it out.

banned
    I heard you left on a 'GOOD' note!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Waves77
    Trying to get back into mtb'ing after quite a few years and extra pounds *ahem*

Any recommendations for a LBS to check out here in Abq? Since I'm just looking for an entry level bike, good recommendations and service are more important to me at this time than specific brands...
    What I found is it's hit and miss at all the stores in town. You build a relationship with one manager and the next time you go in he's not in and the person there is trying to rape you....

Lately, I've been using Bikes Plus, it's near my house and they've been treating me well.

A good rule of thumb is find out prices on line and don't be afraid to negotiate if needed.