saddlemeat

Rec Trails Program funding

We got $187,000 for the Zuni Mountains!

Trail Projects in N.M. Will Share in Federal Funding
    By Jim McElroy
    Monday, 09 November 2009 11:22

Nearly $1.6 million being awarded for eight projects selected under the Recreational Trails Program

Eight trail projects in New Mexico will share in nearly $1.6 million in federal funding that is being awarded by New Mexico State Parks through the 2009 Recreational Trails Program.

State officials said in a news release Monday that the funding will support maintenance of 90 miles of existing trails and development of 9.5 miles of new trails.

The Recreational Trails Program, which is managed by the State Parks Division of the New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department, is a federal aid program that assists communities and other entities in the construction and maintenance of trails, according to the news release.

The program provides up to 80 percent of a project's total cost with a minimum 20 percent match from the sponsoring entity, the news release said. Projects are recommended for funding by the Recreational Trails Program Advisory Board, a panel of trail users and experts from across the state. Eligible projects include motorized and non-motorized new trail construction, maintenance, trailhead improvements and acquisition of land or right-of-way for trails.

The news release says the 2009 Recreational Trails Program grant recipients are:

•New Mexico Off Highway Vehicle Alliance, $332,392, to restore and upgrade 60 miles of multi-use trail in the Cedro Peak area of the Cibola National Forest.
    •City of Truth or Consequences, $93,844, to purchase and install trail signage and amenities along three miles of the Healing Waters Trail.
    •City of Clovis, $15,000, to restore six miles of motorized-use trail at Ned Houk Park.
    •McKinley County, $187,894, for trailhead construction and trail enhancement in the McGaffey area of the Cibola National Forest.
    •Chimayo Youth Conservation Corps, $383,377, for access and safety enhancements and restoration activities on a BLM-owned multi-use recreation area near Espanola.
    •City of Hobbs, $300,000, for construction of 1.25 miles of a jog/bike trail along N.M. 18.
    •Living Desert Zoo and Gardens State Park, $128,000, to purchase and install interpretive signage along the main pedestrian trail in the park.
    •Elephant Butte Lake State Park, $140,140, to construct four additional miles of the Rio Grande Trail in the park below the main dam.
    Last edited by bsieb; 11-09-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: thats between me and my keyboard
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

I ride with tools

Sweet!

That is awesome news Bill! Any idea where or how it will be spent?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Great news Bill! Y'all are doing good things out there. I'm figuring you played some part in securing the grant, so permit me to say "Thanks!" and please pass along my gratitude to the others. (more) Happy trails,
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam
    That is awesome news Bill! Any idea where or how it will be spent?
    It will be spent on Quaking Aspen Trailhead development. A much needed master plan for future mountain wide development efforts. Also signage, road signs, trail signs, interpretive signs. The Youth Conservation Corps labor force will get a substantial part of it. McKinley County is very proactively pursuing trail development in the Zunis and is providing the funding match. County Commission Chairman Dave Dallago is an avid mountain biker and his support has been invaluable.

mtbr member
    Congrats Bill, bout time someone paid you for all that hard work!

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by desert flower
    Congrats Bill, bout time someone paid you for all that hard work!
    My time is priceless.

Hey, there's no boss, the hours are great, and beer drinking is de rigueur.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Way to go Bill and the rest of the GallupTrails2010 gang!!! I really enjoyed the lap I did for the "Zuni 50" last month. I'll definitely be back for more.

Single Speed Junkie
    Always good to hear when trails are being supported.

With that type of coin it will get quite a few McLeods or a Dingo or two. That should help gain and maintain the trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rec Trails Program funding-mccloud.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    Always good to hear when trails are being supported.

With that type of coin it will get quite a few McLeods or a Dingo or two. That should help gain and maintain the trails.
    If you have you ever seen a big YCC work crew rolling down the trail in formation to the worksite, white hardhats flashing in the sun, gleaming edges on shovels, picks, and rockbars perched on muscular physiques, why would you not just open your cooler in the shade and watch it happen? Maybe take a few pitchers for the internets.

I don't think any of US should be running tools with engines, frankly.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb

Seriously though, I don't think any of US should be running tools with engines.

I agree. Lets not automate everything. Good hard work makes is so much worthwhile. And when you donate some blood, sweat, and tears you are bound to take much better care of it. Way to go, Bill. I hope to see you soon.

Single Speed Junkie

Thanks for the laugh. For some reason I got a mental image of someone wanting to attempt hucking a dingo off an 8 ft drop at a wild top speed of 3 MPH.

Thread Pollution

SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    Thanks for the laugh. For some reason I got a mental image of someone wanting to attempt hucking a dingo off an 8 ft drop at a wild top speed of 3 MPH.
    yeah I like crack too...