Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

Puzzler thread...

Here you go. First loop is gps'd. It will be what everyone will do. We are having a CAT 3 event that will only have to do the first loop. It will be an all day ride for most of them.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...27#post5003027
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Winter Break

Hopefully, it will be another great break from our colder winter, up in the Abq. It was great this year, and sounds good for next year also.

The calf says he wants to do the puzzle. He's a CAT 2 now, and will have to do the full puzzle.

For all who missed the first version of the puzzler, it was the most shwag laden event I've ever seen. They got the stuff together, and they probably had to take some of it back to the puzzler warehouse. Food was awesome too!

C Cow and Calf

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Count me in. Road some of the stuff on the weekend. Can't find the new stuff on eastside?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tybo
    Count me in. Road some of the stuff on the weekend. Can't find the new stuff on eastside?
    The eastside stuff is out by Horizon I think. I might try out the Northeast stuff next week. Still learning all of the trails out by Redd. I really want to be able to go from Redd over Mundy's without going through the State Park proper.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    The new trail is on the east side of the mountains which is "northeast" El Paso. There is nothing in the Puzzler that extends all the way out to Horizon. Everything hugs the Franklin Mountains.
    If you're lost and need some intro to the northeast section of trails, on Sunday, November 2nd, the BMBA will be doing a club ride starting at Heinrich Park, in northeast El Paso. We'll ride all the trail included in the Puzzler for that area. If you're not familiar and will be in that neck of the desert, come on out as there will be a cookout/tailgait afterwards.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    Sorry, I didn't mean the Puzzler route. Supposedly there is trail building going out by Horizon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm curious about that 1000ft/2mi section at the top of the big climb. It's obviously a grunt, but is it a rideable grunt, or does the nature of the trail require that mortals are going to be reduced to a march? How about going down the other side?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mundy gap is a walk ride. If that's what you are asking. We should invite some of the Colorado people. So they can see buff durt is realy not that hard too ride. However, rocks are a different story.If you can ride in El Paso everything else is easy..

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've ridden Mundy's Gap at least 100 times and have flashed it only twice. It's loose, it's steep, and it's beautiful. The descent down the other side is steeper but volunteers have been out and fixed some questionable areas. However, the bottom stretch is what we El Pasoans call " a most lovely display of boulder scree." It's ridable with a pair of large huevos. I personally know 3 people that have ridden it on ridged hard tail ss.
    I beat my husband at the CreamPuff 100.
    Relavant blog:

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Make a note that the gps track I have posted starts at about the 26 mile mark of the first loop. The 8.5 mile mark is about where the race will start. I started my ride there to save gas and an extra couple of hours on the bike.

Blog this...!

7MGTE
    Any pics???

banned
    Agreed! Their idea of ST is askew.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    Any pics???
    Here's some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog this...!

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Here's the infamous boulder scree field. I was so stoked to have an audience for the first Puzzler. Then I got out of the rough stuff and a medium size rock got kicked up and nailed my shin so hard I had to stop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog this...!

Thread Pollution
    got any pictures of the Bandaleros?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Good pics. Can't wait untill I can start training again. I love that ride.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    Here's the infamous boulder scree field. I was so stoked to have an audience for the first Puzzler. Then I got out of the rough stuff and a medium size rock got kicked up and nailed my shin so hard I had to stop.
    Sweet, thanks That boulder field looks painful if you fall. Lok

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    got any pictures of the Bandaleros?
    We did not go maka but if we did oh you better believe you would see some pics I sold my bike Friday and my new bike does not ship till the end of the week.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Here's the rest of the course. The start/finish of this gps track is the actual start/finish for the race.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...kValue=7123591

This one is going to be hard. I'm kind of glad I'm the race director as I have an excuse not to race.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    That looks boring...
    Bliss-Stick kayaks Agent, NEMO Representative,

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by perropirana
    That looks boring...
    Yep. Like a road race. I guess if you didn't hit the scree until hour 6 or so, you probably would think it's boring.

Blog this...!

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

Early Discounted Entry

We've got early registration on right now for $35 until Nov. 30. Email bmbaelpaso@hotmail.com for a copy of the form.

Also have some google shots of the course on the website here.

Blog this...!

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    You new mexicans should be ashamed that the first person to register for this event is a pro from central texas. Come on and show this guy how you all can ride. Your mad skills should easily out weigh somebody else's endurance. The weather down here has been ridiculously nice. I've got to go buy some more sunscreen.

We've got more mappage on the website with some video as well.

http://elpasopuzzler.wordpress.com/course-information/

Blog this...!

Thread Pollution
    [QUOTE=tribebabe]I've ridden Mundy's Gap at least 100 times and have flashed it only twice. It's loose, it's steep, and it's beautiful. The descent down the other side is steeper but volunteers have been out and fixed some questionable areas. However, the bottom stretch is what we El Pasoans call " a most lovely display of boulder scree." It's ridable with a pair of large huevos. I personally know 3 people that have ridden it on ridged hard tail ss.:cool
    you think large gonads are cool?

Thread Pollution

takes large eggs to clear that,according too...

small balls on a tall guy,must look like a Frakenstein conglomeration of body parts.You cann't blame it on cold weather shrinkage.
    what?
    I couldn't resist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast