I <3 NM

Possible to ride from Santa Fe to Taos?

Heard someone asking about it & thought I'd see if y'all knew a route.

I couldn't think of a way - a SAFE as possible route, anyway.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

but i want to ride now
    Road bike yes? If so, look up the Taos High Road. It's a Scenic byway that goes from pojoaque, through chimayo, truchas, penasco and a bunch of other little villages and dumps you out at Ranchos de Taos. It's all quiet roads, unceasing hills, and extremely scenic. The best way to get to Pojoaque is to leave Santa Fe up Bishops Lodge Rd. which goes up through Tesuque. There is a section from Tesuque through to Pojoaque where you have to ride the frontage road, but at least its downhill
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There are three Pueblos to cross (all restricted) along with miles and miles of National Forest Wilderness designated lands (all restricted) making a legal ride from SF to Taos impossible.

I <3 NM
    I believe the person was looking for a roadie ride.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    There are three Pueblos to cross (all restricted) along with miles and miles of National Forest Wilderness designated lands (all restricted) making a legal ride from SF to Taos impossible.
    Hey, I am the BeastMaster. How can there be 2 of us?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    Hey, I am the BeastMaster. How can there be 2 of us?
    Now that is good!!!!

And for the person looking to road ride from SF to Taos; Take Bishops Lodge Road to Tesuque; Take the frontage road of 285 north to Pojoaque; Take HWY 503 to Cundiyo (you will bypass Chimayo this way, but this little valley is not to be missed!) and to HWY 76 to Truchas; Stay on HWY 76 to Las Trampas, going through Chamisal and Ojo Sarco; Turn right onto HWY 75 going through Penasco and Vadito. Turn left onto HWY 518, go over US Hill to Talpa and Rancho de Taos; turn left onto HWY 68 (Paseo del Pueblo Sur) and ride into Taos proper. It is a long, long ride; about 80 miles with lots of elevation changes -- mostly up! If you are crazy fit or have good support, it can be done in one, very long day. Try it in late June when the days are the longest. Have fun!!! Or tell them to blow that off and go ride the South Boundary or Garcia Park stuff......

Genius
    San Ildefonso Pueblo grants access if you ask ahead of time. I have ridden most of their area. The only place that was off limits was the the big mesa just behind the town. You have to go around it. Take the river side for more a more scenic vista and to fill the water bottles. These are all dirt trail/roads.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12