mtbr member

Possible lost dog @ Otero Canyon

Another biker coming up the canyon asked if he was ours before we encountered him. We reached the dog further down the canyon near the rock wall booter. He seemed lost and scared. I tried to approach him to offer water but he cowered and walked away.

I'd guess he was fifty pounds or so, looked sort of like a Chow mix. Black with fluffy fur, grey around the chin, clearly an older dog. Red collar, though I could never get close enough to him to read any tags that he may have had.

I looked for any postings @ both Tunnel and Otero but saw nothing, went by the ranger station @ Tijeras too but it was closed. No missing dog flyler there either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Is it possible that people are dumping dogs up there? We found a great little guy across the highway at Cedro. We told the camping troll, put up some signs and tried to spread the word but he is still a welcome addition to the family.

Brought another dog to the humane society from Otero a couple of weeks ago, he had been out there for a while and was pretty far gone.

banned
    I wouldn't doubt it. Times are pretty tough.

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    Brought another dog to the humane society from Otero a couple of weeks ago, he had been out there for a while and was pretty far gone.
    Don't tell me that crap. I'm cynical enough as it is.

People suck.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    Is it possible that people are dumping dogs up there?
    That was the first thing one fella said to me when I asked if he was missing a dog.

Heartless if it's the case.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    We used to live out west of Taos, rarely did a week go by that some pathetic creature wouldn't stumble onto our land obviously not equipped to deal with the wild. I hope it is not the case near Tijeras, but it would not surprise me.

mtbr member

Pretty soon

we will be seeing lost wives out there!

mtbr member
    Went back this eve with extra water, a bowl, and some jerky in hopes of seeing the fella again and maybe luring him outta there. No luck.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Dang. Sorry to hear that. Pets dont tend to last very long out here when they are left to fend for themselves. Hope he made it to someones house. Seeme like every summer I run unto someone hiking that has lost track of their dog.