mtbr member

Placitas Area Trails Project - Scoping Letter

The Sandia RD is currently scoping for the Placitas Area Trails Project.

To view the letter and map, go here.

The scoping period starts with the publication in the Albuquerque Journal.

Hammer

Idea! Your comments will help make it happen!

Thanks Kerry for your hard work on getting this prepared. Having reviewed the plan, I think it looks great! It is important that we in the mountain bike community support the proposal by submitting positive comments supporting the project. This project will enhance both the quantity and quality of the trails we have to ride. As with any project like this, there will be a vocal minority that oppose it. So it is important that we voice our support. Silence from mountain bikers will not help with with what we all want, more great trails to ride!

The main thing to say is that you support the proposed action. Beyond that, look over the documents in the link Kerry provided and give the NSF feedback as you see fit. Comments can be submitted in three ways:

Mail to:
    Sandia Ranger District
    c/o Placitas Area Trails Project
    11776 Hwy 337
    Tijeras, NM 87059

Email to:
    Kerry Wood
    District Trails and Wilderness Manager
    kwood@fs.fed.us

Call:
    Kerry Wood
    District Trails and Wilderness Manager
    505-281-3304
    Placitas Tim

banned
    May 2013
    Based on the map there will be as much or more trail lost as there will be new trail construction. What kind of research is being done out there?

I also see there is a "hiker only" trail. Hikers have access to all of the adjacent wilderness. What is the purpose of having a hiker only trail coming out of the main p-lot? Is there any discussion about bike only trails?

TIA

Hammer

Smile

Based on the map tracks I see it adds up to about 14 miles of new trail and around 8.5 miles of trails deleted. So, a net gain of 5.5 miles. A few things to consider.

1. Areas in the Pueblo land swap area are not in the scope of the project. Only the trails in red with x's are to be removed

2. The majority of the trails removed are not good trails and / or have sustainability issues. Most of these are replaced by new trails. The majority of the rest are removed to simplify the trail system

The hiker only trail is there as a way to reduce trail conflicts. Having ridden in this area for over a decade, the main conflicts I have encountered are near the main trail head. The hiker only trail allows people in the local community to walk their dogs and such without worrying about other trail users. This is a great idea and it uses parts of trails rarely ridden by mountain bikers.

To my knowledge here is no research being done in the Research Natural Area. Kerry can provide more info on this. I believe that this is state and not a federal designation.

There are a few new trails that will be kick ass fun for mountain bikers. So, we are getting a lot from this project.
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    Great points Tim. I know a lot of riders look at that 40,000 parcel and think "why would we give another inch when we're not permitted in the Wilderness." I'd echo Tim's comment and add that it's a small price/token in an effort to alleviate conflict.

Also in a "damn it!" moment, after the map went out I noticed the entirety of the trail along the power line had the red X symbol. I'd rather keep something there as it provides more loop opportunities in addition to the fact that its along a power line so we'll most likely have to keep something there (although we'll look to keep the vehicles off). So there's another mile or two back...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That plan is pretty much what I was thinking. Close all those crappy erroded trails and build some new sustainable trails that will be much more enjoyable.

I like the idea of some hiker only trails. I have seen the use of this area grow substantially in the last 20 years and we really need that to give hikers a place to go to get away from mountain bikes and to reduce conflicts.

Mars

Hammer

Listen! Pics of the Scoping letter and the trail map

Placitas Area Trails Project - Scoping Letter-patsproposedactionmap.jpgPlacitas Area Trails Project - Scoping Letter-pap01.jpgPlacitas Area Trails Project - Scoping Letter-pap02.jpgPlacitas Area Trails Project - Scoping Letter-pap03.jpg
    Placitas Tim

banned
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Biker View Post
    Based on the map tracks I see it adds up to about 14 miles of new trail and around 8.5 miles of trails deleted. So, a net gain of 5.5 miles. A few things to consider.

1. Areas in the Pueblo land swap area are not in the scope of the project. Only the trails in red with x's are to be removed

2. The majority of the trails removed are not good trails and / or have sustainability issues. Most of these are replaced by new trails. The majority of the rest are removed to simplify the trail system

The hiker only trail is there as a way to reduce trail conflicts. Having ridden in this area for over a decade, the main conflicts I have encountered are near the main trail head. The hiker only trail allows people in the local community to walk their dogs and such without worrying about other trail users. This is a great idea and it uses parts of trails rarely ridden by mountain bikers.

To my knowledge here is no research being done in the Research Natural Area. Kerry can provide more info on this. I believe that this is state and not a federal designation.

There are a few new trails that will be kick ass fun for mountain bikers. So, we are getting a lot from this project.
    Thanks.

Hammer

Idea! A small price for good trails to ride

The end of the comment period is coming up in a few weeks. It may seem that trails just come about because the trail fairy waves its wand. In reality it that takes participation by dedicated trail users to make things happen. I know all of you want more good trails to ride. Spending a few minutes writing an email will help make that happen. Thanks for everyone's support!
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    In spite of any criticisms we might have with the proposed plan, we should all support it. This plan is the next step to improving the Placitas Trail System. There is a public meeting tomorrow (Monday 17th) evening at the community center on Camino De Las Huertas Rd. The meeting starts at 7:00.