Hammer

Idea! Placitas Area Trail Association

Hi Fellow Trail Users,

About 6 months ago a number of riders that use the trails in Placitas formed the Placitas Area Trail Association (PATA). PATA has been hard at work mapping the trails, working with the National Forest Service (NFS), and building membership. Currently we have about 60 registered users, but we want everyone here to join us as well. A large well organized association will let us get things done the way the trail users want them done.

Placitas is a complex area with a variety of trail users, wilderness areas, and land use issues. PATA will be there to make sense of that complexity. PATA has been assisting the NFS in developing a trail plan and that has been very successful. We hope a trail plan will be approved in the near future. Prior to the approval of the official trail plan, the NFS has authorized some critical trail maintenance. The trail maintenance is needed due to a 50 year flood in the Northeast section of trails that occurred this summer. We completed the first of 4 projects on the 18th, see pics below.

We will be completing project #2 on Sunday December 16th and we invite everyone to join us. Use this link for more info. Trail Reroutes | placitasareatrail.org

Checkout our web site and register at placitasareatrail.org and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PlacitasAreaTrailAssociation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Placitas Area Trail Association-601366_134640716686259_1542521746_n.jpg  

Placitas Area Trail Association-547018_135172879966376_991212785_n.jpg  

Placitas Area Trail Association-21740_134640686686262_1525165524_n.jpg  

Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    PT, you didn't call me out for Project #1!

December 16 is on my calendar. See you then, hope we have reasonable weather.

Hammer

Wink Too small

Project 1 was too small for your skills Bob. The next few are up to your standards
    Placitas Tim

I <3 NM
    Very impressive works!

I'll get it on my schedule too.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is there an email list for the Placitas Area Trail Association? Any meetings planned?

Mars

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars29 View Post
    Is there an email list for the Placitas Area Trail Association? Any meetings planned?

Mars
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Biker View Post

Use this link for more info. Trail Reroutes | placitasareatrail.org

Checkout our web site and register at placitasareatrail.org and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PlacitasAreaTrailAssociation
    You can sign up here as well:
    Contact Us | placitasareatrail.org
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars29 View Post

Mars
    We maintain an email list and you'll be on it when you register on our web site. at placitasareatrail.org. We will start holding meetings soon. We are waiting for the trail plan from the NFS to come out so we have something to talk about. The trail work day coming up Dec 16th is the best kind of meeting to attend. Hope to see you there! Use this link for details on the trail work day. Trail Reroutes | placitasareatrail.org
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    Hey, is there anyone on here who would show me around the Placitas trails? I have been there a couple times but only rode about 10 miles worth of trail and that was doubling back on some stuff. I hear there is a lot more there. If anyone is riding out there this weekend (Dec. 1st or 2nd) I would love to tag along so I can get to know the trails. I will supply the beer of course.

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    Hey, is there anyone on here who would show me around the Placitas trails? I have been there a couple times but only rode about 10 miles worth of trail and that was doubling back on some stuff. I hear there is a lot more there. If anyone is riding out there this weekend (Dec. 1st or 2nd) I would love to tag along so I can get to know the trails. I will supply the beer of course.
    I am out there frequently, they don't call me Placitas Tim without a reason, and could show you around. However, there is a very good interactive map, GPS download, and such on the our web site. Check it out using this link Trail Map | placitasareatrail.org. If you have a PC or MAC you can use the interactive map and clicking on a trail will get you more info on it. Let me know if you still want to meet up.
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ssweetleaf -

i'll be out there tomorrow (sun dec 2) morning at 8:30 if you can make it. i think i've ridden about all the trails there a hundred times...single speed of course.

sscage

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sscage View Post
    ssweetleaf -

i'll be out there tomorrow (sun dec 2) morning at 8:30 if you can make it. i think i've ridden about all the trails there a hundred times...single speed of course.

sscage
    Bummer, didn't see this til this morning (Sun). Hope you had a good ride. Maybe could get you to show me around in the future?

mtbr member
    Bob, if you want a ride from the ranger station, I'll be leaving @ 9am

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    Bob, if you want a ride from the ranger station, I'll be leaving @ 9am
    You're on. Not exactly sure where I'm going, was going to pick up my SS at Fat Tire but can't really ride it up here right now, and not sure if the white toad will make it to Placitas. See you then.

mtbr member
    Anyone riding at Placitas this weekend (jan.5th or 6th)? Would love to ride with someone who knows everything there is there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have been interested in trying these trails out for a while... would you say they are pretty comparable to North Foothills?

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by m_dub007 View Post
    I have been interested in trying these trails out for a while... would you say they are pretty comparable to North Foothills?
    To a certain degree the terrain and soil is like the north foothills. However, the trails are not as wide and they see a lot less traffic. There is actually more trail mileage in Placitas, but about the same when you count just the trails that are fun to ride. It is harder to put together a really fun ride until you ride all the trails as there are a lot of trails and intersections. I prefer it to the foothills trails. Currently the trail map is not available on our web site. But I can send you the map through private. You can signup on our web site to receive updates on the trails. placitasareatrail.org
    Placitas Tim

snickers driven
    Better singletrack if u like it single. Current conditions?

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB ABQ View Post
    Better singletrack if u like it single. Current conditions?
    With the moisture we have gotten recently, it is about as good as it gets. Just a few small patches of snow in the upper parts of the trail system.
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you could send me the map through private that would be great!