mtbr member
    May 2010

New question here. Penasco - Sipapu area trails

A friend at work has been touting the trails near his home in the Penasco area. I rarely, if ever, have seen anything posted here about that area.

Who has intel on this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

mtbr member
    that is a really cool area, I would like to hear about trails there also.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Genius
    I am curious if these trails your friend is riding are single track or ATV double tracks. I have done some exploring in the Tribal areas south Espanola and east of of Los Alamos and found most trails to be either standard double track or ATV doubles.

Apparently this is my 666th post. How Nice.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    I am curious if these trails your friend is riding are single track or ATV double tracks. I have done some exploring in the Tribal areas south Espanola and east of of Los Alamos and found most trails to be either standard double track or ATV doubles.

Apparently this is my 666th post. How Nice.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    I was driving through there the weekend before last. There are so many trailheads that come off of the road to Sipapu (Hwy 518). I've always wondered about that. It appears to be safe to ride, as it's not wilderness. It also looks as if you could link into the South Boundary trails from some of the trails off of Hwy 518, near Sipapu.
    The trails I know of near Penasco & Rodarte go into areas that are pretty steep valleys with a lot of deadfall. I'm pretty sure all of that is wilderness. I've backpacked some of the peaks off of the trails from Santa Barbara road in Rodarte. That area is incredibly beautiful.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Trip report 11/30/2012

I and Chuck went up there Nov 30. We rode 2 forest roads at US Hill and some singletrack at Amole Canyon. Here is a google map showing our (edited) gps tracks:
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...69519,0.151234

Picuris Peak road was described as being "intermediate to advance depending on road condition." Maybe. It was a pretty ride. There was enough snow, and it was slick, that I didn't want to commit to a long descent.

Gallegos road looked like it would connect to plenty of singletrack. Again the slick snowy conditions inspired me to turn back.

We drove down the the Amole Canyon trail head and rode some singletrack, We had to search around to follow the trail.
    Here is a map of the Amole Canyon XC ski trails:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5308162.pdf
    We scratched the surface here; a follow up trip would probably be worthwhile.

Here are some more guesses at trail locations based upon the Carson NF web site:
    https://maps.google.com/maps/myplace...z=420&t=h&z=11

Here's the Carson NF web site for MTB trails:
    Carson National Forest - Bicycling:Mountain Biking

I want to go up there next summer to check out more singletrack.