Thread: Pajarito XC

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Pajarito XC

Another great NMORS outing today, and another first class production by Gary Parker and his merry band of volunteers. Weather at race time was unbeatable, and the condition of the course only just shy of perfect. It's tough to lay out a course in this venue that everyone's going to love, since the conditions are just so challenging. But if you can forgive the thin air, the steep climbs and the fact that, by the time you get to the descent, your arms are already set to fall off from the climbing, then it really is as good as they come, and definitely has a little (or a lot) of everything.

Although this is the first race this year that I haven't ridden significantly faster than last year, it wasn't for lack of effort. I know I had some good splits, and was feeling just about the worst I've ever felt at altitude in the upper reaches of the climb, so I'll settle for what I had, and be content with everything except getting beat up by the same 4 or 5 guys that crawled out of the woodwork this year. Great bunch of guys though, so I'll let 'em enjoy it while they can. How about that Henry Lanman? Geeeez. I think everybody would like to be that fast when they're his age, but I'd love to be that fast when I'm 7 years younger.

Also, I think I'd rate this year's course as slightly slower overall, although it wasn't any longer. Since there was some distance added early on, plus the new s/t at the top was definitely slower than last year's romp on the road, and the only subtraction was on the descent. So, congrats to anybody that managed to shave serious minutes off last year's time. Just rationalizing, not complaining. You lay it out and start the watch, and I'm grateful to ride, walk or crawl it.

Thanks again, Gary. Looking forward to seeing you at the start line (ON A BIKE!) next year.

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    Indeed, a good race!

Sounds like we were having identical days Garson. My legs were feeling decent at the start, yet I got a nasty case of "wanna puke and give up" towards the top. My pace seemed faster than last year, yet I was 3 minutes slower. I've been faster on my other races this year. I wonder if the course was just a bit longer overall?

Wow - there were some strong riders out there. I got passed on the final decent by a 14/15 year old. He's an animal, and gave me proof that I REALLY need to work on my descending skills.

Glad the weather dried out a bit. I still had problems with a couple roots, including one that put me right on my side when I hit it wrong. If I want to get any better at this course, I really need to spend time riding it. It had been a LOOONG time, and I paid for that lack of familiarization big time.

Hope the downhill race goes great tomorrow - I imagine we'll get a nice report.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i thought the race was great also....i didnt like the no prize money...i won 50+ expert and didnt win anything! also i signed up early to get the t-shirt and was told that only shirt they had for me was a xs!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardinLA
    Indeed, a good race!

I wonder if the course was just a bit longer overall?
    My gps says it took me 90s. to ride the new loop on the return from canada bonita, but then we were stuck behind a guy on crutches pushing a shopping cart for a ways through there, so someone else's time might be less or more (if you're the guy on crutches).

Also, the new s/t at the top had to have been slower than last year's route, since it not only took us probably 40' higher than last year, but also involved a dismount at the top for every mere mortal in the race. However, I'm pretty sure it had to have been shorter from point to point.

The route change on the descent seems to have shortened it by a couple hundred yards.
    I only rode a few seconds per mile faster coming down , but made it in a minute less than last year.

In the end, according to my gps, this year's course is only about 200' longer. Still, given where it's longer, where it's shorter and the nature of the changes, the course appears to me to ride a tick slower. Still, a great course that's probably going to get better every year since there's no sign of Gary and his friends losing interest in their trail building.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5876
    i thought the race was great also....i didnt like the no prize money...i won 50+ expert and didnt win anything! also i signed up early to get the t-shirt and was told that only shirt they had for me was a xs!
    Definitely heard a lot more grumbling about Pajarito's top heavy prizes this year. It's a windfall if you get one, but obviously doesn't spread things out the way people are accustomed in NMORS races. This approach definitely favors the faster (younger) riders at each skill level, not to mention the sandbaggers among the Beginners. People seemed to misinterpret the pre-race email, too, which ramped up the discontent.

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    In the end, according to my gps, this year's course is only about 200' longer. Still, given where it's longer, where it's shorter and the nature of the changes, the course appears to me to ride a tick slower. Still, a great course that's probably going to get better every year since there's no sign of Gary and his friends losing interest in their trail building.
    Yup. Results are up at www.nmmtb.org and they look a touch slower in general. Damian and other first placers were faster, but overall it seems a bit slower this year. At least that's what I'm telling myself to make me feel better.

And, agreed about the t-shits and prizes. I'm pretty sure the registration company can track and log the t-shirt size for the hundred. The only other hurdle then is having the order accurate and ready to print before the race. I know it's a challenge, but is worth investing time in so that those who sign up early get a shirt that fits.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yup. Results are up at www.nmmtb.org and they look a touch slower in general. Damian and other first placers were faster, but overall it seems a bit slower this year. At least that's what I'm telling myself to make me feel better.

And, agreed about the t-shits and prizes. I'm pretty sure the registration company can track and log the t-shirt size for the hundred. The only other hurdle then is having the order accurate and ready to print before the race. I know it's a challenge, but is worth investing time in so that those who sign up early get a shirt that fits.

results arent coming up

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5876
    results arent coming up
    Sorry... towards the bottom: http://www.nmmtb.org/results.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Damian and other first placers were faster, but overall it seems a bit slower this year.
    Geeez, there just aren't that many Sport times to compare from year-to-year. It's like racing on a different planet this year. Who are these guys? And where'd everybody go? I don't think there's much question that the quality of the competition is way up in every category so far this year.

mtbr member
    Y
    It takes about 15 days from submission of the graphics and sponsors' logos until printing and delivery of the t-shirts. Fifteen days before the race, we had about 25 people signed up... give us a few days of wiggle room and make it 20 days before the race... well, then it was even less people. That is why we try every trick in the book to get people to sign up EARLY As with last year, there is no point whatsoever asking people for their shirt sizes... unless you can give me a hint on convincing people to register earlier The day before the race we had about 65 registrants... 12 hours later it was 154. How do people expect me to predict that?

As for the prize purse, we try to be generous to the best riders. Sorry that we didn't spread the purse out more. Last year we did guess what? A common post-race comment was that we gave out too many small $30 prizes Still thanks for your comments... Next year we may do it differently. This way, the frustrated people will only have to be frustrated every other year.
    there can be only one... track

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Suggestion on the shirts - for people who pre-register hold their shirts. Late registrants are first come first serve. At least that way people who act early are covered.

You can' satisfy everyone all the time. If you can frustrate people once every other year, you are doing well.

For all of you who put in the effort to organize any event THANK YOU. It is easy to complain when things don;t go your way, but the people organizing are the ones putting in the effort and usually not recognized.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by nmfly
    Suggestion on the shirts - for people who pre-register hold their shirts. Late registrants are first come first serve. At least that way people who act early are covered.
    Yep, that worked great for the DH race and if you do not pre-reg. then you should not be upset if you did not get a shirt.

BTW anyone want to trade a large for a med.? DH race shirt

mtbr member

Results, Photos, Press

The race website has been updated to include final results, links to photos (there's a bunch to look through) and links to reports in Mountain Flyer Magazine and the Los Alamos Monitor. Good job to everyone who raced; it was another success year
    there can be only one... track

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ride hard. Ride often.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Maybe another possibility for t-shirts is to have people buy them (with specific size) during on-line registration and if they are too late (e.g. later than the 20-day cutoff), you could do a second post-race order. There'd have to be a late charge + an extra postal charge or something? Might be too much extra work, but maybe not(?) Non of the shirts Ive ever got fit me, but my kids wear em (until they outgrow them). Nice shirts though -- whoever designed them did a great job.

On the prize front, I'm not so sure its a bad thing to top load the cash -- Ive always thought that the best riders ought to be winning the bulk of it. One idea could be to have winners of the various "prizeless" CATS get an "instant win" on the raffle??

Quote Originally Posted by NM_Highlander
    It takes about 15 days from submission of the graphics and sponsors' logos until printing and delivery of the t-shirts. Fifteen days before the race, we had about 25 people signed up... give us a few days of wiggle room and make it 20 days before the race... well, then it was even less people. That is why we try every trick in the book to get people to sign up EARLY As with last year, there is no point whatsoever asking people for their shirt sizes... unless you can give me a hint on convincing people to register earlier The day before the race we had about 65 registrants... 12 hours later it was 154. How do people expect me to predict that?

As for the prize purse, we try to be generous to the best riders. Sorry that we didn't spread the purse out more. Last year we did guess what? A common post-race comment was that we gave out too many small $30 prizes Still thanks for your comments... Next year we may do it differently. This way, the frustrated people will only have to be frustrated every other year.