Mythical Creature

Pajarito this weekend

Who's racing this weekends NMORS event? That course is rockin' indeed. I just registered and (shhh!) it's still $30. I'm in, but am weary of my return to XC racing - as my old self I ain't. 2 days left to pre-register. Seems like both the 30-39 sport mens, and 30-39 expert mens groups are going to be the usual slug-fest adventures. Big fields, strong and capable racers/riders. 3 laps (I think I have that right - though one of the maps says TWO laps...) with that Canada Bonita start is going to be cruel. At a moderate pre-ride pace, my buddy and I were doing 42-45 minute laps (just the ski area loop), which I'd imagine will be a decent lap time by lap 3! A lot of middle ring stuff, but some granny ring stuff likely by the end.

If it's not clear from the discussions, and the website - it's a pretty family-friendly course as we go through the lodge area every lap, which has toilets, a big deck, and room for a cooler .

Hmmm. Now that I think about it - is it 2 or 3 laps?

See you all out there.

glen
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

rohloff rich
    Experts do the Canada Bonita loop then two ski area laps.
    http://nmmtb.org/expert_pro.html
    Glad I'm a wimpy Sport and only have to do one ski area lap.

Another question for Gary: is there a designated feed zone?

mtbr member

The secret is out

Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Who's racing this weekends NMORS event? That course is rockin' indeed. I just registered and (shhh!) it's still $30.
    As Glen said we have a good number of early-registrants! 94 as of this evening. And, due to a glitch in the on-line system, the price increase did not kick-in automatically. What the heck! -- we decided not to try to fix it. So if you register before midnight Thursday you will still get the cheaper price. We WILL charge $40 on the morning of (we're trying to discourage day of registration).

I'm in, but am weary of my return to XC racing - as my old self I ain't.
    Glad you decided to give it a go. I was a little sad a few days ago when you posted and seemed unsure. At the very least, you write up some of the best post-race reports .

As for the number of laps:
    Sorry for adding more confusion, when all we tried to do was help. Rich is correct, Experts will race the Caņada Bonita start plus 2 laps on the Ski Hill. So your times should hold up. I was GUESSING the strong Pros/Experts/SS may put in 1hr 45m times. Though I expect to be surprised and amazed.

The rain this week should make the surface super-sweet . Much better than it was this last weekend.

Good luck everyone and please register on-line it makes our live a million times easier.
    -Gary
    there can be only one... track

mtbr member

Aid Stations

Quote Originally Posted by rs3o
    Another question for Gary: is there a designated feed zone?
    Yes! The plan will be to have an aid station on the bunny slope so that racers can refuel before starting up the big climb on the Aspen for Trouble singletrack. Hammer Nutrition has donated gels and Heed Energy Drink which will be served in cups. We also have Elete Electrolyte mix-ins which we will hand out in the pre-race shwag bag. The aid stations will also have plain old water and probably bananas too.

We will have a smaller aid station on top of the hill where the singletrack spits out on to the service road heading south of the summit. As this is section is followed by the long descent, we don't expect it to get as much action and only plan to have there for those in desperate need.

As for REAL FOOD, the cafe will be open for after-race grubbing. It will also be serving breakfast burritos for your friends and family.

-Gary

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by NM_Highlander
    Yes! The plan will be to have an aid station on the bunny slope so that racers can refuel before starting up the big climb on the Aspen for Trouble singletrack. Hammer Nutrition has donated gels and Heed Energy Drink which will be served in cups.

As for REAL FOOD, the cafe will be open for after-race grubbing. It will also be serving breakfast burritos for your friends and family.

-Gary
    Gary, sounds like you've outdone yourself(selves) this year. VERY stoked you'll have some hammer stuff, and H2O on course. Also cool that the cafe will be open for post-race cokes.

AND I am rather relieved, I admit - to only have to do the ski area loop twice! I suspect Damian and the other hammers are gonna post some unbelievable splits.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mnt bike laws of physics
    As for the number of laps:
    Sorry for adding more confusion, when all we tried to do was help. Rich is correct, Experts will race the Caņada Bonita start plus 2 laps on the Ski Hill. So your times should hold up. I was GUESSING the strong Pros/Experts/SS may put in 1hr 45m times. Though I expect to be surprised and amazed.
    Everyone down here in Las Cruces seems to love this course. This will be my first time there. I'm usually about 15 min. behind Damian so that will make it about 2 hours for me...should be loads of fun.

Will not have time to pre-ride - will the course be well marked or should I follow someone in the know?

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    dbl post

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    Who's racing this weekends NMORS event? That course is rockin' indeed.
    Agreed! When the course is a meer 15 minute drive from home, it'd be silly to miss the fun.

I've got only two goals: to not crash (and hopefully avoid any mechanical issues) and to beat an hour thirty (sport class of course). We'll see how that goes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Everyone down here in Las Cruces seems to love this course.
    I cut my teeth mountain biking in Las Cruces in the early to mid 90's while attending NMSU. I love those trails down there. They taught me to appreciate technical riding and how to deal will loose stuff. I think you will dig the trails we have built... we didn't polish them too much if you know what I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Will not have time to pre-ride - will the course be well marked or should I follow someone in the know?
    I'm taking Friday off of work, gonna load up a pack with supplies and will mark the course well. Tell you the truth, I can't wait to ride it -- haven't been on the bike in 9 days and am itchin' for some exercise. We don't have a million volunteers this year to marshal, so the tape and bio-degradable spray paint will have to do the trick.

-Gary

mnt bike laws of physics
    I cut my teeth mountain biking in Las Cruces in the early to mid 90's while attending NMSU. I love those trails down there. They taught me to appreciate technical riding and how to deal will loose stuff. I think you will dig the trails we have built... we didn't polish them too much if you know what I mean...
    The riding down here has made me step up my game. I look forward to riding your trails and to feeling the oxygen deprivation

I'm taking Friday off of work, gonna load up a pack with supplies and will mark the course well. Tell you the truth, I can't wait to ride it -- haven't been on the bike in 9 days and am itchin' for some exercise. We don't have a million volunteers this year to marshal, so the tape and bio-degradable spray paint will have to do the trick.
    -Gary
    Sounds good Gary, hope the rain won't wash all the paint away.
    speaking of rain, should we prepare for muddy conditions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm signed up for the sport race but may need a ride back to Santa Fe after the race. Anybody got room for me and my bike? Send me a pm, thanks.

mtbr member
    As for mud... so far... and only so far... the rain hasn't been too bad on the hill. In fact, I would like to see it get a little more. Tonight it is drizzling and that should help. Hopefully we will get a nice storm tomorrow and that will be all.

When the trails get wet, mud is generally not too bad up there. Slick roots tend to be the challenge more than the mud.

mnt bike laws of physics
    As for mud... so far... and only so far... the rain hasn't been too bad on the hill. In fact, I would like to see it get a little more. Tonight it is drizzling and that should help. Hopefully we will get a nice storm tomorrow and that will be all.

When the trails get wet, mud is generally not too bad up there. Slick roots tend to be the challenge more than the mud.

Ahhhh, Slick roots I am sooo looking forward to slick roots.
    Can you tell I miss the trees?