Airborne Flight Crew

Pajarito Visit...

Trying to decide between Pajarito and Fruita for a riding/camping trip with the GF this weekend. The issue at hand is that She is a beginner level rider and I'm not sure what the xc trails at Pajarito are like.

I've ridden Fruita, and am confident she can handle Mary's/Steve's and most of the Horsethief bench stuff. Anyone who has ridden both care to compare?

The Description for Aspen for Trouble sounded friendly enough - are there any really techy parts that will give a beginner headaches?

(Other than the lifts - the draw for Pajarito is that I'd "sneak" the dh bike along with us and get a couple runs in on that.)

Thanks!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

banned
    I hope you will be taking some pics too!

I think she would have a blast! The trails can be as aggressive as the rider in most cases. There are some other rides in the area that she could do as well.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    If she's truly a beginner, I'm not sure I'd be bringing her here. Even down off the ski hill, we don't have much beginner stuff here in LA County, and I certainly wouldn't take a beginner up to Pajarito for a day. There's probably only one trail that she'd be comfortable riding down, and the jeep roads can be sketch with any sort of speed. If those are your two choices, and you want her to be have fun riding, I'd choose Fruita, and just be prepared for the heat.
    - Joe

mtbr member
    Ridden both, Fruita for sure.

banned
    FWIW, I have seen plenty of guys bring their GF's to Paj for the day and they had a blast. Heck, I've seen beginners on HT's that think the XC trails were the beez kneez. Plus the lift does the hard part for you.

I <3 NM
    White Mesa is kinda Fruita-ish... and fun!
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    FWIW, I have seen plenty of guys bring their GF's to Paj for the day and they had a blast. Heck, I've seen beginners on HT's that think the XC trails were the beez kneez. Plus the lift does the hard part for you.
    Thanks you guys for the feedback, appreciated.

The GF is more towards... "advanced beginner" lol. She also zooms about on the road on her Ducati, so she has pretty decent coordination on moving things. She loves momentum over rocky stuff, and does well on most of the trails in Durango, so...

I'm inclined to come to Paj - as I'm also scouting for future FR trips. I just noticed on the Summerfest flyer that the lifts close @ 3? We'll be leaving Durango late morning on Sat, and probably wouldn't arrive until around the time lift(s) close. We'd still ride on Sunday of course, but missing the lifts on Sat would be a bummer.

Of course, Fruita has NO lifts
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard

The GF is more towards... "advanced beginner" lol. She also zooms about on the road on her Ducati, so she has pretty decent coordination on moving things. She loves momentum over rocky stuff, and does well on most of the trails in Durango, so...

I'm inclined to come to Paj - as I'm also scouting for future FR trips. I just noticed on the Summerfest flyer that the lifts close @ 3? We'll be leaving Durango late morning on Sat, and probably wouldn't arrive until around the time lift(s) close. We'd still ride on Sunday of course, but missing the lifts on Sat would be a bummer.

And their will be some of the finest Microbrews there on Saturday!
    Last edited by Eric B; 06-05-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My son and I will be heaading up from Farmington for Saturday. If you like lift served terrain, excellent beer, and even better people, Pajarito is tough to beat. Just wish it was closer.

mtbr member
    There are a few trails in Los Alamos you could ride upon arrival. Then hit the lift on Sunday.

I'm taking my GF on the lift both days. She is a true beginner, but I'm sure she'll have a good time.

She's hiked Pajarito in the past couple years, and wants to check out the XC trails on her bike this time.

Custom User Title
    The beer will be better at Pajarito for sure! Oh yeah, and the trails are sweet also. Even if you miss the lifts on Saturday, you could still ride out the Canada Bonita trail (very nice ride, and mostly beginner friendly) and enjoy a pint or two after word.

banned

Ok...so my plan is to hit SF for quick alpine experience (Ravens Ridge to REM) on Saturday and then possibly head to Paj afterward (I'm not totally sure on this yet). If I do, I will likely camp Saturday night and ride the lifts on Sunday.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Ok...so my plan is to hit SF for quick alpine experience (Ravens Ridge to REM) on Saturday and then possibly head to Paj afterward (I'm not totally sure on this yet). If I do, I will likely camp Saturday night and ride the lifts on Sunday.
    95% sure on Paj.... Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'll be on a patriotic color schemed Giant Faith on Sunday if I can sneak in it the jeep. Otherwise I'll be on the grey/raw Reign... Lifts on Sunday, weeee!

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Is the bike OK?
    95% sure on Paj.... Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'll be on a patriotic color schemed Giant Faith on Sunday if I can sneak in it the jeep. Otherwise I'll be on the grey/raw Reign... Lifts on Sunday, weeee!

If you get here late Saturday there are some great XC and shuttle rides in the area. Just ask around to the bikers in the parking lot or campground for directions. I'll be at the lodge after 3pm with a black & white jail brake jersey if you want to ask me.

banned
    Yeah, make sure Neal gives you a map .

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson
    If you get here late Saturday there are some great XC and shuttle rides in the area. Just ask around to the bikers in the parking lot or campground for directions. I'll be at the lodge after 3pm with a black & white jail brake jersey if you want to ask me.
    Thanks - I'll be sure to look you up
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website