Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Pajarito trails thi weekend

I assume the Pajarito Ski area mtn biking will be on this Saturday ?
    I know if the Thompson Ridge fire gets worse things could change.
    Does anyone know if the other trails are open such as Guaje Ridge, Mitchel and Perimeter ?
    Thanks

Is the bike OK?
    Yes, this Saturday is a go for the first day of lift-accessed biking this season and all the trails are in great shape. Thompson Ridge fire is close by but I don't think it will affect Summerfest. You will have a great view of the fire from the top of Pajarito.

We're only at Stage II fire restrictions so everything around here is open for biking. They had the Jemez Mountain run a couple weeks ago so Guaje Ridge/Mitchel/Perimeter are all in great shape.

Something else to consider: There's a really cool trail right next to Camp May road that makes for a great way down at the end of the day if you've got someone to shuttle your vehicle. That or you could even do it with a free shuttle from town since they'll run the LA Bus service Saturday for SummerFest.

Here's the SummerFest flyer: http://skipajarito.com/files/2013_Summerfest.pdf

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks, sounds perfect, see ya there !

7MGTE
    Is the lift go to go?

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388 View Post
    Is the lift go to go?
    Yeah

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They have the hooks on and I don't think there's been anything to fry stuff so I hope so...

mtbr member
    Stoked for some Paj! Can't wait to see the new Chupacabra! Gonna be a great day.

Bandolero
    I'm sorta wondering how bad the smoke is going to be. Last few times I looked over there you couldn't see the top of Pajarito. I
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by 90supra View Post
    They have the hooks on and I don't think there's been anything to fry stuff so I hope so...
    Yes but last year opening day lift was down. Neal did shuttle us and that was dope but just making sure lift was OK this year.

Still trying to set up my bike so looking forward to it. New Fox 40 air rips!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    camp may is open to camp fri night?

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    camp may is open to camp fri night?
    It's closed until mid-July because the county updating the whole campground. Once they open you can call the Los Alamos Aquatic Center at 505-662-8170 about reserving camp spots. A lot of people camp out in the Pajarito parking lot for free.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    neal - I'm bringing a newbie so what would be the easiest trail to take from the ski area to town to catch the shuttle? How hard is it? I would be counting on the shuttle to take us back to the ski area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by granpa View Post
    neal - I'm bringing a newbie so what would be the easiest trail to take from the ski area to town to catch the shuttle? How hard is it? I would be counting on the shuttle to take us back to the ski area.
    Interested in hearing about this as well
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by granpa View Post
    Definitely the one I was talking about that goes parallel to Camp May Road. I'd call it intermediate. Not hard but it is a bit loose with the extreme dry conditions we've had this spring.
    - Ride the road down past the ski area and the steep windy stuff.
    - Pass the first dirt road on the right. This is the road we usually use to get to Nail Trail.
    - Take a right on the second dirt road just after the first one.
    - Look for a small carin and trail head on the left not very far down the road.
    - This is the start and will take you down the majority of single track and it generally parallels fairly close to the road.
    - You'll eventually cross two dirt roads. When you cross them you'll generally go left on the road a bit and will have to look for the carin and trail that starts back off the road. Shouldn't be too hard to find but I think the second one you'll have to look for.
    - Eventually the trail will come to an intersection that goes straight onto a dirt road or a hard right that keeps you on single track. Only take a hard right if you are capable of nose wheelying switchbacks down the steepest section of trail. If you go straight down the dirt road you'll hit the paved road for the last small section. The switchbacks will also dump you at the beginning of Camp May Road.
    - Where Camp May Road hit's the T go straight through the T and up a small hill. This will put you on Gabriella Trail which is another nice single track taking you back to the bridge across the canyon to Los Alamos.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thnx Neal! Sounds like just what I was looking for and a great write-up. where will the shuttle stop be?

Is the bike OK?
    I think the shuttle stop is in the high school football stadium parking lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I know its a stupid question before I even ask it (apples and oranges kinda thing)... but, how does Pajarito compare to Anglefire? I've never ridden Paj...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Does anyone know if 126 is open from Cuba? Hope to make it over from Farmington, thanks for all the work to keep Pajarito going for all these years.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtieterror View Post
    I know its a stupid question before I even ask it (apples and oranges kinda thing)... but, how does Pajarito compare to Anglefire? I've never ridden Paj...
    Pajarito and AF are totally different mountains and both very fun in their own ways. Pajarito has a ton of North Shore wooden structures including teeter-totters, cork screws, numerous log rides, and wooden drops. The mountain is steeper so many of the trails reflect this but there are some good flowy intermediate trails too. Pajarito is only open a couple days a month so the trails do not get worn out (i.e. braking bumps) nearly as much as AF. Saturday will be the first day of the season so the trails are totally fresh for the season. The majority of the trails at Pajarito were designed by Rich Strang (aka The God Father). If you've ever ridden any of the freeride stuff at La Tierra you'll understand that Rich is a true artist when it comes to trail building.

Is the bike OK?
    Forgot to post this but here's a link to POV videos I've taken of nearly all the trails at Pajarito:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...NCul5pe8twTroH

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by nmfly View Post
    Does anyone know if 126 is open from Cuba? Hope to make it over from Farmington, thanks for all the work to keep Pajarito going for all these years.
    Fenton Lake has been closed so 126 might be closed too. In any case, I would suggest either going down to 4 or taking 96 through Abiquiu & Espanola. 126 looks like a shortcut on the map but is really windy and slow. I about ruined a bike rack coming back from Telluride that route a long time ago.

Is the bike OK?

Chupacabra

We got Chupcabra roughed in top to bottom but we're going to need some descent rain before we can really pack down the jumps and berms. Here's a couple shots of the old jumps at the bottom and the two big S berms:

Pajarito trails thi weekend-imag0867.jpg
    Pajarito trails thi weekend-imag0868.jpg

7MGTE
    Neal, did you all get any rain? Thx in advance.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388 View Post
    Neal, did you all get any rain? Thx in advance.
    Yes, we did! It dumped rain and hail in town. I don't think they got as much on the ski hill but at least they got something

Is the bike OK?

Thanks!

Just want to say thanks for everyone who rode today. Perfect weather, dry trails but not too blown out, and *****en beers and bands after the lifts were done

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast