Is the bike OK?

Pajarito, Round 2&3, can I scare you?

Pajarito to be open Saturday & Sunday this weekend! Come take advantage of those cheap season passes.

We finished the new drop on Muy Rapido. This thing is going to be 10'-20' vertical depending on how fast you take it. We've got a fairly descent run out but it still needs a bit more cleaning and packing. If you don't want to ride this thing take a look to the right when you're nearing the top of Aspen Lift. I'm riding my Demo 8 Saturday instead of the SX Trail

View from bottom:
    PajaritoPlankDrop1.jpg

View from top:
    PajaritoPlankDrop2.jpg

If the above drop doesn't scare you just wait until you see what Rich has planned on the far west side of the ski area. Hint to locals: Ma Bell cliff drop with a landing to be built by Dan E.'s tractor

Last week me, Rich, and Jese routed a line through the rock garden underneath the top of the chair (aka "Off The Rocks"). This trail will be a cool way into the top of Muy Rapido but make sure you wear your body armor .

Tonight we also added back the two small jumps on the first trail that heads west. There are still easy ways around these jumps for XC and light DHrs. Here's the lower one:
    PajaritoWestTrailJump.jpg

Lastly, we cleaned up the lose rocks on the upper half of Muy Loco.

Single Speed Junkie
    Found the XC trail decent enough for entry level DH exposure. A midlevel trail between MM and the Aspen trail would be a welcome addition. To bad ABQ is such a drive or I would offer to assist in the trail work.

Great work guys.

banned
    Dammit! Just when I got comfortable with all new stuff, now there is more new stuff?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That looks a lot like part of the Drop Zone at Keystone. Easily the worst wreck I have ever taken was on something like that- run out was not packed down and was newly built with a g-out at the end that put me going very fast into rocks and broken trees! More than likely will not hit that first time out at PSA! That being said, most of the stuff I have seen in the pics/video is much better built than some of the stuff in CO and with a whole lot more "flow"

I wanted to ask some of you all that were up there last weekend what are good runs to start with as this will be the first real DH in a year and I will be bringing up my cousin who is a solid biker on his ASX, but both of us will be a little rusty. I am guessing it will be 2-3 runs before the speed/comfort comes back into play.

Lastly, I will be up there Sunday on a red dh-9 and the other guy will be on an asx if anyone wants to meet up. In the other PSA Opening post I had put it out there that I am down for carpool and that would still stand for this weekend. I am basically east of I-25/Paseo 2 miles and the target/lowes lot is easy to meet in.

mtbr member
    Looks nicely built... have you dropped it yet?
    there can be only one... track

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by NM_Highlander
    Looks nicely built... have you dropped it yet?
    Not yet, but I'm bringing the big bike on Sat. I'm also going to try to get a couple people to pack out the landing some more on Wed.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by mpyeti
    That looks a lot like part of the Drop Zone at Keystone. Easily the worst wreck I have ever taken was on something like that- run out was not packed down and was newly built with a g-out at the end that put me going very fast into rocks and broken trees! More than likely will not hit that first time out at PSA! That being said, most of the stuff I have seen in the pics/video is much better built than some of the stuff in CO and with a whole lot more "flow"

I wanted to ask some of you all that were up there last weekend what are good runs to start with as this will be the first real DH in a year and I will be bringing up my cousin who is a solid biker on his ASX, but both of us will be a little rusty. I am guessing it will be 2-3 runs before the speed/comfort comes back into play.

Lastly, I will be up there Sunday on a red dh-9 and the other guy will be on an asx if anyone wants to meet up. In the other PSA Opening post I had put it out there that I am down for carpool and that would still stand for this weekend. I am basically east of I-25/Paseo 2 miles and the target/lowes lot is easy to meet in.
    I hate the landing off the 20' drop at Keystone. It's just sketchy! I think this one will be better. We plan to pack it out better this week but I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you're really comfortable with it.

Checkout the trail map, http://skipajarito.com/files/bikemap_web_08.jpg, start with Aspenola, and Half Aspen. Then work your way west to east on the black runs. Muy Loco and the new Muy Rapido are the steepest and most technical runs.

I'll be on a white Demo 8 and my son has a red Demo 9. Also talk to anyone on a DH bike. Anyone who knows the trails would be more than happy to show around (as long as you can keep up ).

mtbr member
    Dan and I will be up there ALL DAY on Wed. I'll see if I can get over there and clean it up some more - Maybe I should bring the V-10 up to test it ? I don't think that I want to hit it first time out on the bullit

C S
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson
    Checkout the trail map, http://skipajarito.com/files/bikemap_web_08.jpg, start with Aspenola, and Half Aspen. Then work your way west to east on the black runs. Muy Loco and the new Muy Rapido are the steepest and most technical runs.
    Last lift day was my first time ever riding DH . I started with the beginner skills area, then I rode Aspen for Trouble to Half Aspen, Aspenola, and Dogpatch. None of these are too difficult for someone who is just getting into DH, but Dogpatch provides an interesting challenge as it is pretty steep. A lot of fun though This weekend I'll probably start out roughly the same, except maybe skip Aspenola and add Sidewinder-Air Raid-Battle Stations. Neal (or anyone who has ridden these trails before), how are these trails for someone who is pretty much a newb at DH riding? Any spots in particular I should pay particular attention to?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    nealpederson, I would agree the landing off the 20 was terrible. What made it worse was the two smaller drops fed right into where you would land off the biggest drop causing a hole mid season. As for speed, once I get an idea of what the trail is, I can usually hang with most:-) Where I lack is in the big drop at speed catagory.
    I will take the advice and try to hook up with people once I get there. I am envisioning an area that has the fun/fast of keystone with a mix of vail steep/rutty fun. If you have ridden magic forest/old 9 combo you know what I am talking about. First couple of times I went there it was raining and crazy slick!
    Either way, I am looking forward to a great day of blasting berms and trying to find some flow in what sounds like a nasty rock garden!

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by C S
    Last lift day was my first time ever riding DH . I started with the beginner skills area, then I rode Aspen for Trouble to Half Aspen, Aspenola, and Dogpatch. None of these are too difficult for someone who is just getting into DH, but Dogpatch provides an interesting challenge as it is pretty steep. A lot of fun though This weekend I'll probably start out roughly the same, except maybe skip Aspenola and add Sidewinder-Air Raid-Battle Stations. Neal (or anyone who has ridden these trails before), how are these trails for someone who is pretty much a newb at DH riding? Any spots in particular I should pay particular attention to?
    Defintitely hit up Sidewinder-Air Raid-Battle Stations and then try Mother's Milk. Sidewinder is really steep for the first few turns but once you get through those the rest of this trail and Air Raid- Battle Stations is easier than Dogpatch. They have some big stunts on them but everything is easy to get around. Mother's Milk is steeper and more technical but not any harder than Dog Patch if you go around the stunts. Muy Loco and Muy Rapido are extremely steep in places so you may want to hold off on these unless your feeling really good. In general, the closer you are to the top of most of these trails, the steeper they are. An option for the Muy's is to take jeep trail 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down the mountain so you can hit the lower sections of the trails.

C S
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson
    Defintitely hit up Sidewinder-Air Raid-Battle Stations and then try Mother's Milk. Sidewinder is really steep for the first few turns but once you get through those the rest of this trail and Air Raid- Battle Stations is easier than Dogpatch. They have some big stunts on them but everything is easy to get around. Mother's Milk is steeper and more technical but not any harder than Dog Patch if you go around the stunts. Muy Loco and Muy Rapido are extremely steep in places so you may want to hold off on these unless your feeling really good. In general, the closer you are to the top of most of these trails, the steeper they are. An option for the Muy's is to take jeep trail 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down the mountain so you can hit the lower sections of the trails.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll do Dogpatch and Sidewinder-Air Raid-Battle Stations a couple of times and if I'm feeling comfortable with my riding, I'll give Mother's Milk a try. Man, I can't wait for this weekend Thanks for all of your work building trails so all of us can go out and give DH a try!

mtbr member
    Saturday: possible albuquerque carpool / caravan leaving from either the Frontier Restaurant by UNM at 0715 or possibly the Target on Paseo at ~0725. Any interest? PM me with some contact info. So far, its just me and my gf, but we spread the word.

I look forward to not trying the big drop. It's not the comfort level I lack, it's the skill. (insider note: that bit hard once in laguna canyon, ca.)

AKA shitbird
    I just found out about this place, looks like my kinda fun. Anyway's a bunch of us A-holes from Phoenix will be coming your way sometime soon for some NM gnar.
    JRA

Is the bike OK?

Picrutes of Rich's new Jump Trail

While riding XC at the ski hill last night I snapped some phone camera shots of the new trail that Rich S. and Dan E. have been working on. This trail is sweet

Top of trail showing second jump and berm:
    JumpTrail1.jpg

After above berm you go into another berm and a 20'-50' (depending on speed) step-down jump :
    JumpTrail2.jpg

After above you go through another sweet berm to this table top:
    JumpTrail3.jpg

At this jeep rode there are plans for a plank road gap in this location:
    JumpTrail4.jpg

For now when you hit the jeep road just take a right and go to the lower section of Battlestations, Triple Threat, Skills Park, or Jump Park. Once the lower section of this trail gets built there will be some more incredible features.

Is the bike OK?
    **Note** Rich's new trail above needs a name too if anyone has any ideas.