Maui Grown

Pajarito Questions

I'm thinking of getting out of the desert heat and coming out to Pajarito the weekend of August 29th.
    I'll be traveling with my wife and 4 yr. old son. So here are my questions:

1. Is there a place to stay on the mountain, like a lodge? I was on the Pajarito website and couldn't find anything about lodging except in the town of Los Alamos.

2. If I have to stay in Los Alamos, is it really close to Pajarito or is it like an hour away?

3. Is there anything for the wife and son to do on the mountain or is it strictly a bike park during the summer?

4. If there's nothing on the mountain for them, does Los Alamos have anything for the family to do/see? I need to keep them occupied while I ride all day on Saturday.

If I do make it out that weekend, hope to hook-up with some of the locals to show me around.
    My bros Helimech & Lostboyz were out there a few weeks ago and had a great time.

Thanks!

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    I'm thinking of getting out of the desert heat and coming out to Pajarito the weekend of August 29th.
    I'll be traveling with my wife and 4 yr. old son. So here are my questions:

1. Is there a place to stay on the mountain, like a lodge? I was on the Pajarito website and couldn't find anything about lodging except in the town of Los Alamos.

2. If I have to stay in Los Alamos, is it really close to Pajarito or is it like an hour away?

3. Is there anything for the wife and son to do on the mountain or is it strictly a bike park during the summer?

4. If there's nothing on the mountain for them, does Los Alamos have anything for the family to do/see? I need to keep them occupied while I ride all day on Saturday.

If I do make it out that weekend, hope to hook-up with some of the locals to show me around.
    My bros Helimech & Lostboyz were out there a few weeks ago and had a great time.

Thanks!
    1. No lodge but town is only 10-15 minutes away. There's camping by ski hill.
    2. It's close (see 1)! Plus, all the places to get breakfast burritos are in town anyways.
    3. There's plenty of hiking and XC riding too but that's about it at the ski hill. They can ride the lifts cheap if they're hiking.
    4. Town has swimming, science museum (not sure about hours) and Bandelier National Monument (ancient Indian Cliff Dwellings) is nearby.

Hope you can make it!

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    What Neal said, plus: If you get into town Friday evening, there's a free outdoor concert at Ashley Pond (Band of Heathen?). Nice hiking from the Pajarito parking lot, but off the ski hill and mellow grades, by hiking out Canada Bonita. Plenty of public parks w/ playgrounds, and there's also the LA History museum. There are a few B&Bs in town, if you are looking for someting besides camping or the hotel thing.
    - Joe