mtbr member

Pajarito Punishment '08 Website: Up and Running

The 2008 Pajarito Punishment planning is moving ahead well. The website is ready (at least mostly ready), check it out and register online if you are planning to race. We hope that most will register early so we can get a handle on numbers before the day... this being our first time as organizers, that would help a lot.

www.nmmtb.org

As it is still early (6 weeks or so), the course and t-shirt colors and other details like the mass start may change a little, but for the most part this is how it will shake out. So check back from time to time and we will update the page as more details are settled.

And please help me to get the word out. -Thanks.

Gary
    there can be only one... track

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by NM_Highlander
    The 2008 Pajarito Punishment planning is moving ahead well. The website is ready (at least mostly ready), check it out and register online if you are planning to race. We hope that most will register early so we can get a handle on numbers before the day... this being our first time as organizers, that would help a lot.

www.nmmtb.org

As it is still early (6 weeks or so), the course and t-shirt colors and other details like the mass start may change a little, but for the most part this is how it will shake out. So check back from time to time and we will update the page as more details are settled.

And please help me to get the word out. -Thanks.

Gary
    Lookin' good.

I'll try to get the updated series flier info posted up tomorrow. I'll also help spread the word on the race site and registration.

On the one day licenses, you may want to be more specific that they are available for Beg,Sport and SS, but that Expert racers will need to have or purchase an annual USAC license.

Sending the SSers out for the big ride, eh? Sounds like an ASS* event.

[SIZE="1"]*Advanced Single Speed[/SIZE]

In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update! Been looking forward to this one for a while!

Mythical Creature
    Looks great Gary - while I know some folks lament the loss of the 'epic loop' aspect of Guaje / Perimeter / Pipeline - I thought the race was a blast 3 years ago when it was 3 loops (for pro/expert) at the ski area. Climbing that 3rd lap nearly cracked me, but man! What a great race. Sending racers through the base area as many times as possible is cool for friends, family (now that I have one), and neutral water / bottle hand-ups. Folks needing an epic can do the SFBFL or other NMES event...

...better yet, if others really want a Guaje Grind / Pajarito Epic - there's nothing stopping anyone from stepping up and organizing it themselves, right?

Thanks for spearheading an event at a great venue, right near home (for me anyhow) - look forward to doing my 1 and only XC race this year with you guys. I like the idea of a mass start (like the Firecracker 50) - as long as the course works out so that there is no issue with the return leg on Canada Bonita back to the ski hill. Doesn't look like there would be - but it's no fun for the pro/ex's nor the beginners when there's a bottle neck or choke-point. Hopefully everone is strung out and in battle positions as they start climbing the mountain. I dig the direction you're running it on the mountain too - opposite of the last time I did it, anyhow - and looks fun. I like the climbs a the Camp May end, and descending the townsite side - on trails I helped the Tuffies build years ago..
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Glenzx, it was your inspiring post-race write-up (Race Report: Pajarito Punishment; a Northern NM classic! [O]) from a few years ago that got me thinking about another race on the ski area. Since 2005, we have built miles of new singletrack to add to the course.

If people want to stick around and ride the Guaje epic on Sunday (for fun), that would be cool. I might even be able to get out for that one.

As for the mass start... we have at least 1/2 mile of wide parking lot area to start in and then a good stretch of doubletrack to space out on. I think it will be enough room and I also think the loop is long enough that we will get the stragglers through the two-way section before the fastest riders are returning.

And thanks for helping with the trailbuilding up here. It is all volunteer built... by local mountain bikers... for mountain biking... now that is something to be proud of.

Good luck in the race!
    there can be only one... track

Mythical Creature
    Cool. Sounds like the start will work perfect - certainly a bit more friendly than cranking right up he hill at the gun! 2005 was a fun, hard race indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by NM_Highlander
    I think it will be enough room and I also think the loop is long enough that we will get the stragglers through the two-way section before the fastest riders are returning.
    Thanks again for picking up the reins!

g
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -