Is the bike OK?

Pajarito Mountain Biking Postponed This Weekend :(

I just got this from Tom Long, the manager of Pajarito

"Good Afternoon Neal:

We have had a major water line break and our water tank has drained.
    Without water, no bathrooms, no food service and our crew will need to
    be working on the water line break on Saturday for sure. If you can
    pass the word that we will have to postpone this weekends Bike & Hike
    to the bike crew that you ride with it would be helpful. Thanks

Tom"

mtbr member
    Darnitt!!!! Thanks for the update. Let us know if you hear of a possible make-up weekend. Thanks Neal.

banned
    Sep 2005
    So you coming down then, Teeg?

mtbr member
    Looks that way. I'll give you a shout this eve.

mtbr member
    Aye, can confirm that I got a similar email. Here's the email sent out to all the ski club members today:

There will be no Pajarito Mountain lift served hiking/biking this weekend (Saturday-Sunday Sept 12-13). Pajarito Mountain cafe will also be closed.

Overnight, our domestic water line broke, and so we do not have any water at the ski area. We are challenged to find the leak, due to the amount of rainfall that has fallen this last week. We need our ski area staff to continue to work on finding the leak, and so we will not be able to operate the lifts this weekend.

We regret the inconvenience. We will posts updates on our website, www.skipajarito.com. Thanks for your patience.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

Bandolero

Back off bi tch

Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    Too bad about Pajarito.

We've got a shuttle bi tch lined up for tomorrow so that should ease the pain.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Too bad about Pajarito.

We've got a shuttle bi tch lined up for tomorrow so that should ease the pain.
    Yep, yep, us as well, see you guys tomorrow

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    Yep, yep, us as well, see you guys tomorrow
    I'm planning on going Sunday.

Bandolero

Hail Caledonia!

Managed to avoid the storms but it was coming down hard for a while.

There were signs of big hail. Glad we missed this part

Further down it got wetter

And more hail

Near Tree Springs we stopped for a short rest

The skies were clearing

Bit o the white

Managed to slug through the thick parts

Down into the sun and trees

Lather, rinse. Repeat

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am very disapointed in Pajarito, We drove all the way from Oklahoma for nothing, I see no reason why the lifts had to stay closed, specially after they found the leak Friday night and had temporarly fixed the leak and had some water. Bring in some port a potties and run the lifts, there were other groups of people that came a considerable distance as well. We did hit the skills park and dirt jumps before we left, and those were a joke, they were fun, but i could have done the same things here in Oklahoma. I couldnt believe thats all they had. I dont mean to offend the locals that ride here, but there is no reason the lifts needed to close. I guess next time it will be worth the extra drive to go to Crested Butte or Winter Park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa
    I am very disapointed in Pajarito, We drove all the way from Oklahoma for nothing, I see no reason why the lifts had to stay closed, specially after they found the leak Friday night and had temporarly fixed the leak and had some water. Bring in some port a potties and run the lifts, there were other groups of people that came a considerable distance as well. We did hit the skills park and dirt jumps before we left, and those were a joke, they were fun, but i could have done the same things here in Oklahoma. I couldnt believe thats all they had. I dont mean to offend the locals that ride here, but there is no reason the lifts needed to close. I guess next time it will be worth the extra drive to go to Crested Butte or Winter Park.
    One less Oklahoman at Paj will be awesome. Please, do go to those CO areas instead from now on. Your dim-witted, cry baby antics are along the same lines as the "Psychos & Morons" post.

If you are judging Paj by the skills park or dirt jumps, then you do not even have a clue what Paj really is. The 2 sections you did ride are for Oklahomans to figure out how they might be able to enjoy themselves on a mountain that is more than most Okies can handle. So go ahead and tell all of your Okie friends how it sucks, because if they are anything like you, we don't want them around.

While your at it, get your wedged panties out of your rear end and take your balls out of your purse. All you had to do was check the status on their website before you came. I certainly would have before I traveled that far. Sorry things didn't work around your individual and very fragile personality & schedule... Sorry that emergencies happen and it makes you all pissy. Would you be crying even if the weather legitimately shut the lifts down also?

You were still in NM, and could have put together an incredible weekend (Shuttles, XC, Freeride/jump) that would have been as good as Paj, had you looked at other options or contacted any of the willing guides on this board (like our crew, that shuttled all day for an incredible day - yes, we would have accomodated you). Instead you chose to be a big crybaby. Go back to your box of tissue and keep posting your hissy-fit throwing statements. It's entertaining and funny to watch grown men reduce themselves to full-blown fragile crybabies in a public forum.

Int'l Man of Leisure
    pwnd
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Bandolero

Speechless

One less Oklahoman at Paj will be awesome. Please, do go to those CO areas instead from now on. Your dim-witted, cry baby antics are along the same lines as the "Psychos & Morans" post.
    You stole all my good lines before I could put them into a post.

You missed:
    • "they normally close the mountain when they hear teh awsomeness of Okies/Tesans are coming."
    • "Not only did they close Pajarito, they closed the whole firkin state"
    • "you breathed our air. that's worth the drive alone"
    • "um you boys never heard of Guaje or Nail Trail"
    • "that nealpederson never told me un nuthin"
    • "hold on there parder, there's a - NEW - Mexico"
    • "for $20 a pop, some NM would have shuttlebiatched for the two runs they'd make"

I was contemplating doing another run with RCC yesterday as the sun was shining down but couldn't convince myself to put on my soaking wet clothes again.
    Last edited by notaknob; 09-13-2009 at 12:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    One less Oklahoman at Paj will be awesome. Please, do go to those CO areas instead from now on. Your dim-witted, cry baby antics are along the same lines as the "Psychos & Morons" post.

If you are judging Paj by the skills park or dirt jumps, then you do not even have a clue what Paj really is. The 2 sections you did ride are for Oklahomans to figure out how they might be able to enjoy themselves on a mountain that is more than most Okies can handle. So go ahead and tell all of your Okie friends how it sucks, because if they are anything like you, we don't want them around.

While your at it, get your wedged panties out of your rear end and take your balls out of your purse. All you had to do was check the status on their website before you came. I certainly would have before I traveled that far. Sorry things didn't work around your individual and very fragile personality & schedule... Sorry that emergencies happen and it makes you all pissy. Would you be crying even if the weather legitimately shut the lifts down also?

You were still in NM, and could have put together an incredible weekend (Shuttles, XC, Freeride/jump) that would have been as good as Paj, had you looked at other options or contacted any of the willing guides on this board (like our crew, that shuttled all day for an incredible day - yes, we would have accomodated you). Instead you chose to be a big crybaby. Go back to your box of tissue and keep posting your hissy-fit throwing statements. It's entertaining and funny to watch grown men reduce themselves to full-blown fragile crybabies in a public forum.
    I will refrain from giving out the douche bag responses and simply say, we checked before we left, it was open, not everyone travels with a computer to look up other options, it would have been nice to pay someone to take shuttle us up. I am not trying to start crap with you guys, I am just stating my opinion. Bad weather is one thing, but no water is another. The weekend was not a complete loss, did some drops jumps and enjoyed the mountains.
    Although I had no idea some New Mexicans (notaknob) were douches like Texans.

Bandolero

Tallahassee -- The Mountain Goats

I will refrain from giving out the douche bag responses and simply say, we checked before we left, it was open, not everyone travels with a computer to look up other options, it would have been nice to pay someone to take shuttle us up. I am not trying to start crap with you guys, I am just stating my opinion. Bad weather is one thing, but no water is another. The weekend was not a complete loss, did some drops jumps and enjoyed the mountains.
    I'm originally from Florida so my immunity to generalizations regarding how people from a certain area is strong. I've discovered this immunity is not shared by many. To sum it up, "All generalizations suck"

Pajarito being closed also sucked, as it was on such short notice. Most people who post here recommended it to you and you got the shaft. That's the difference between a hill ran by the ski club and one run as a business. The latter would have gotten a water truck up there so as not to lose current/future business. The former, well, you see what happened there.

Since you'd posted here before, I'd thought you were in the group supramk388 was puttin some flat-lander hurt on. Those Texans got the local knowledge tour and will probably be back*. I'm surprised to see you'd posted up about missing out on the awesomeness that is NM.

There were about 3-4 groups on Sandia doing shuttles on Saturday and I'm sure there were a few out and about in Santa Fe, Los Alamos and Sandia today.

* you either get better, get hurt or find someone/someplace else to ride - sometimes all three

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i am not sure what you mean by the supramk388 group, someone stirring up trouble?
    I think you nailed it, it was a ski resort, not a business, I couldnt believe they didnt get a water truck and some port a potties up there to keep customers happy, I am sure if it was ski season, that would have been the consequence.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Well, that was your first mistake - believing that Pajarito has any interest in their customers at all, much less keeping them happy. Bummer to have made that long of a drive only to strike out. Sorry for your poor experience, pero asi es Nuevo Mejico.
    - Joe

I think you nailed it, it was a ski resort, not a business, I couldnt believe they didnt get a water truck and some port a potties up there to keep customers happy, I am sure if it was ski season, that would have been the consequence.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

RCC
    Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    pero asi es Nuevo Mejico.
    That's funny!
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just super D on Saturday. Wet, wet, super D, Ya bummer about Pajarito, but there is always good riding to be had here, epically if you drove that far! You just have to speak up. Our Texan guests were worked at the end of the day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yeah it would have been nice to hang around and find some shuttles, i actually busted my front wheel the big drop in the skills park, so i was done for the weekend.

I do have one question.....

WHAT ARE THOSE CHECKPOINTS FOR???

Is the bike OK?
    What checkpoints are you talking about?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    snicker.

mtbr member

when life gives you lemons ....

1 the crew hanging
    2 the knob breaking the sound barrier
    3 double
    4 dude who hit the double like butter
    5 my muddy co-pilot
    6 what the hail
    7 slip and slide. Seriously, inches of hail in September????

..... and I got out of this was a muddy truck and a dirty dog
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NE2NM; 09-14-2009 at 10:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson
    What checkpoints are you talking about?
    the big one when you turn to head to the mountain, and a smaller one when you are leaving

Is the bike OK?
    the big one when you turn to head to the mountain, and a smaller one when you are leaving
    Oh, those are the Los Alamos National Laboratory checkpoints going on and off their main area that were put in after 9/11. Most people think they're fairly worthless but it's a government thing. There is an easy way around the checkpoints. On the north side of the bridge that goes between the Lab and town there is a road that goes down into the canyon and up to the ski hill road. It's actually faster if you are headed from town.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I figured you'd get a kick out of that.

banned
    Sep 2005

Masquerade.

Ah...those are or Okie warning stations. They call ahead and have everyone disappear into Camp May when the okeballs arrive. They also give the all clear once they have left the vicinity.

Bandolero

pezón

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Ah...those are or Okie warning stations. They call ahead and have everyone disappear into Camp May when the okeballs arrive. They also give the all clear once they have left the vicinity.
    Don't listen to this JA.

Give Pajarito and New Mexico another try 25-26 September and I guarantee that someone will:
    • fall.
    • hurl.
    • make fun of Tesans/Okies/Coorsaradians/Aridzonians.
    • get some of the best trails in NM.

AM riding but if Pajarito can get their act together, some DH too. Substitute Sandia or maybe SF riding for Sunday if you want.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I'm just screwing around. I understand that not everyone uses MTBR, but now you know.

There was another group that came up from TeJas and they were taken care of. We already had a contingency plan posted that you would have enjoyed. Next time check-in with some locals before you hit the road.

Bandolero

Rio en Medio

Managed to avoid the storms but it was coming down hard for a while.

There were signs of big hail. Glad we missed this part

Further down it got wetter

And more hail

Near Tree Springs we stopped for a short rest

The skies were clearing

Bit o the white

Managed to slug through the thick parts

Down into the sun and trees

Lather, rinse. Repeat
    Missed that ride.TJ called but I was in Taos nice and dry. Almost got it though. We should shuttle Rio En Medio this weekend. Between my truck, Brian's, and TJ's - if willing we could get some good runs in?

Bandolero

The Unwelcome Savior

Quote Originally Posted by Crash88
    Missed that ride.TJ called but I was in Taos nice and dry. Almost got it though. We should shuttle Rio En Medio this weekend. Between my truck, Brian's, and TJ's - if willing we could get some good runs in?
    I knew you'd be using the "S" word soon...

Something happen to make you want to shuttle?

Bandolero

Gravity

I knew you'd be using the "S" word soon...

Something happen to make you want to shuttle?

Good bike and gravity

mtbr member
    Good bike and gravity
    Bruce beat me to the punch. Where did you ride in Taos? Who did you hook up with? I'm pretty sure I'm down for this weekend. My truck is good to go if we borrow someone's hitch rack. Let's chat toward the end of the week, Crash.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Bruce beat me to the punch. Where did you ride in Taos? Who did you hook up with? I'm pretty sure I'm down for this weekend. My truck is good to go if we borrow someone's hitch rack. Let's chat toward the end of the week, Crash.
    Double Boundary...duh!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How did it go Dave? How was the weather? You find the course ok?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I wish we know about this forum before this weekend as we would have loved to have been part of the shuttles. Our son and his friends came up from Crested Butte to ride Pajarito. They know it's "a way better mtn"! We knew about there being no water earlier Friday so we planned on using the outhouses that are up there and bringing our own lunch and water but we were super bummed to hear the lifts would not be running. Pajarito is not like other ski areas that have both a maintenance crew AND a lift crew during the summer so we understood there would be no one to run the lifts since they had a more important job and that was to find the leak. We all were bummed but lets not take it out on our out of town friends. This was a first and hopefully the last time the lifts failed to run.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    There was another group that came up from TeJas and they were taken care of. We already had a contingency plan posted that you would have enjoyed. Next time check-in with some locals before you hit the road.
    Yep, yep, what he ^^^^ said. I was with that group of 4 from Texans. They had drove 12 hrs to ride Pajarito for the first time. Rob (from TX) was back for his second trip to NM for some killer DH but this time he and his 3 buddies with him. They were all about Paj. for the entire weekend.

I am on the Bando email list from time to time and Mtn.Biker123 was cool to copy me on the closing. I have a season pass and was looking forward to hitting Paj with everyone. Hopefully a make up day but if not i will be there last day of the season.

So I ended up taking them to do local DH trails with a shuttle b--tch lined up On Sat. we decided on a long AM/Super D from the top of the mtn I wanted to get there feet wet before we hit the DH courses. In hind site this was not the way to go, oh well I will need to check weather better next time.

Well with/in a few miles down we got stuck in that hail storm I thought it would pass so we kept going down trying to make it to Doc Long. Well it seemed to get worse so we all had to stop under a tree for a bit. Sounds bad but I was more worried about them because this was NOT the first time for me. I got stuck in a worse hail storm last year on RR with Bruce, Ramon and Dave. Anyway we keep going thinking we were going to jump out early at oso or something but somehow we made it.

So we get back up to the car and all is good. Sun is out, not to hot, man life is good. Needless to say they were done for the day? WTF? Something about wet shoes, not sure so we went to eat at Ribs. Myself and ROC worked on the Texans to get them out to Cedro. They were game and we were off to Cedro! We went to the top and did Super-D course but kept going straight down Franks and Beans for some DH (well all 20 feet of it, ) as well. That was the warm up, back up and bombed all the way down PowerLine to Cedro PL. We called it a day at that. No pics, they had camera so maybe later Justin or Joe will post up.

I started hyping up our local DH trails. Letting them no they (the trails) are NO joke. I explain they need to be on there A game but there will be go a rounds for SUM of the stuff. Told them about when I smacked a tree a few years back with Bryan and Tim. Explained plenty of carnage on those trails

Sun morn. I start to think, wait maybe I hyped things to much. I hate when people do that so I explained to forget EVERYTHING I SAID, the trail are ok guys. I told them I mean they are cool and all but just you average stuff, we are going to have a good day either way.

The day was awesome. Did DH all day from 10AM-6PM The Texans tried new things and held there own on our trails. They seshed the super X area, rock drop, and many other spots. A few mechs and couple of flats but that is expected on those trails. I realized these DT Swiss 6.1Ds need to go! Those rims are way to soft so I am looking for a new set now. Got to ride with Neal and Ben a few runs, Tony, Vinny, Chris, sure was fun I am glad I went I needed to work out some old demons Have not attempted 1 & 3 in the super X area since last season (ate crap pretty good twice and only cleaned it once ). Well all is good nailed that section 3 for 3 finally and step down as well. Finally getting use to riding a big bike

We went to eat after that, then back to ROCs house to hang out. I let the Texans know if they did not get enough I will take them out Mon. morn. but they were like "we are good". They needed to get back home to there families. I am sure they got in enough riding for two days they looked beat. They will be back next year early on to rip it up at PAJ!

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    Went well. With what you showed me and gps (also following other riders) I found my way. There is some good hills there. I missed the storm but some riders got hit by down pours and snow.

7MGTE
    Sweet ride Dave!

banned
    Sep 2005
    Nice Supra, way to "give it" to those Texans!

Bandolero

Momma I don't wanna sell

Good bike and gravity
    I heard you were afraid of chairlifts because your team would be shutdown by some Bandoleros or the squeaky squirrels.

I'm good for this weekend. Maybe NE2NM would volunteer as shuttle driver?

Bandolero

S P A M B A L A Y A

I am on the Bando email list from time to time and Mtn.Biker123 was cool to copy me on the closing. I have a season pass and was looking forward to hitting Paj with everyone. Hopefully a make up day but if not i will be there last day of the season.
    I must be on the wrong list. All I get from him is Nigerian scams and V1agr_a ads.

We went to eat after that, then back to ROCs house to hang out. I let the Texans know if they did not get enough I will take them out Mon. morn. but they were like "we are good". They needed to get back home to there families. I am sure they got in enough riding for two days they looked beat. They will be back next year early on to rip it up at PAJ!
    Way to show the foreigners around. NM's got cool stuff for everyone. One thing, I noticed a specific lack of the words "beer, margarita, tequila" in that write up.

mtbr member
    maybe later Justin or Joe will post up.
    What's up Supra? Joe here.
    We didn't even have time to be bummed about Pajarito being closed down because you Larry and Rich were all over setting up plan B. Rob Justin and I have all said that we think our weekend ended up being better riding the stuff we did with you guys locally. Sick trails you guys have there!

HUGE thanks to Rich and Adrian for putting us up for a few days and being unbelievable hosts. We also really appreciate you and Larry being our guides putting up with some of our sea level lungs as we got used to the altitude.

Justin and Rob were the only ones with camera's so hopefully they post up pics soon. That pic Rob took of you hitting double #3 in the super x section is huge!

Can't wait till next year!

(inserted a stack of smileys since you and mtb123 might not be able to read my post without them )

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    He did great, long day on a HT SS, but he kept up on the up and hauled on the down.

banned
    Sep 2005
    That's our Crash!...way to go Davide!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Good job Dave, just making it is an accomplishment!

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemezc
    He did great, long day on a HT SS, but he kept up on the up and hauled on the down.
    It was great riding with you Brent.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am not a Texan, but I am glad you didn't follow up my recommendation that you email me before the trip!
    Sucks for you, our plan B worked out great

mtbr member
    May 2004

Psychos and morons??!

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Rims
    Justin and Rob were the only ones with camera's so hopefully they post up pics soon.
    I have been getting sucked back into reality here, but finally made the time to get my shite together and get the pics up.

First off - I have to give a huge thanks to ROC for putting us up for a few days. Both Rich and his girlfriend put up with us taking over their place, and they couldn't have been more accommodating.

It was great having a whole crew going, learning the lines and trying to keep up with you guys, supramk388 and atenciole! I think we held our own off the mountain too - must push harder on all sides next time <laughing>. Definitely need a group pic, damnit.

Mtbiker123 and notaknob, good meeting you two. Oh, NE2NM, I met you, albeity breifly when you guys rolled up while we were unloading my truck. I should have been better about introducing myself to your whole group, but that was a bit hectic trying to pull it all together. First time shuttle/MOUNTAIN biking and looking after my buddy (his 2nd day on the bike) conspired to make for a rush to keep up with the group in preparations at the top of the mountain there. Next time we are in town, I will ping you again to let you know. We might even be able to shake that Tejan title if we can keep up?

I know there are some other guys that we met up there too that hang out on here, but not sure of any usernames, etc. Sunday's shuttlefest was just a great time - good to see such a strong riding community!

So for pictures - it was tough. I could go up there and just shoot for a day. The hardest part is STOPPING to get pics, with the abundance of flow, trying to stop and session is completely counter intuitive. I am glad that we did make the time to do so on one run on sunday, because that is about all we got.

Oh, thanks for the pics of the hailstorm/aftermath - that was EPIC (as overused as that word is). Yes, that hellstorm kept up with us for a long time. Not to mention the lightning. And bears. Oh. my. At least the afternoon shuttles were dry (but our feet weren't).

So here it goes... some pics from the trip. I will keep it short, as I do have some multi-shot sequences that I will try and turn into a gif or something.

Stoke coming to fruition (that is Rob/BustaRims/myself l2r):

This is the newbie, McCall, stepping it up:

Here I am trying to put that TM thru some paces:

BustaRims:

Rob leading BustaRims into the double sequence:

Yeah, he did hit it. That is the biggest hit I have seen:

Supramk388 leading Rob:

BustaRims on a new-to-him ride after a brake issue forced it:

Flatlanders...headed home:

Man, what a *****in' way to spend 4 days. The drive was worth every minute of it, it is pretty easy when driving is split up between us. There was much (too much?! ha.) beer consumed on Friday night - ROC had the cooler packed when we got to town, so quite the cold welcome there. I was drunk by the time we made it out of Kelly's (thanks science of altitude!) and it was still daylight at that point. BBQ and beers between runs was great - thanks Larry and Ricky for your persistence in keeping us motivated for those afternoon runs on Saturday. We would have kicked ourselves if we didn't go back up! Nope, no tequila was consumed (at least by me).

Until next time...I will be hanging out on this forum more!
    I am already learning to use smileys.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 09-22-2009 at 09:42 AM.

banned
    Sep 2005

ya'll come back now...

Great write-up!

See you next time