Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pajarito DH

banned

Pajarito DH

Congrats on a successful race.

Thanks to all that volunteered their time and energy into organizing the Punishment DH event. The course was fantastic...although I still never sacked up for the big step-down At one point I wished I could be a spectator to watch some of those pro's rip it. They were throwing down some unbelievable times. I think my class (sport 30-40) was one of the most competitive. EricB put the smack down (4:09) and that was enough for third. Never having entered a race...I'd say that's pretty impressive. He would have taken first if a couple of would be Cat 1 racers would have coughed up the xtra fitty in order to race their class

Oh...and lets not forget RCC's victory. He too has never raced and captured 1st in his category. Granted there were only 2 racers, he still had to beat at least one rider. I've never seen the ol' boy so proud. Way to go my friend

BIG THANKS again to rsclimb, nealpederson (and his son ), Bikeworks, and many other notables for their contributions and cooperation.

EricB and I took advantage of our early arrival and headed up (literally) Pajarito Canyon

It was some tough climbing...

Then we headed up the XC course for a quick DH practice. This was the view from the top.

I tried to get fancy with my camera

A couple of Turner pony's dressed up and ready

Bikeworks was on-site to lend a hand to the racers

The weather was perfect. There were hints of moisture, but they would quickly dissipate.

Only 6 more days until [SIZE="4"]Summerfest[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 06-01-2009 at 07:07 AM.

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Oh...and lets not forget RCC's victory. He too has never raced and captured 2nd in his category. I've never seen the ol' boy so proud. Way to go my friend
    RCC, nice job on the race. Glad the Bandolero's represented in style.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Is the bike OK?

Thanks!

I'm sitting here working in Capecod, Mass. and want to send out a huge thanks to all the volunteers who helped put this race together! There are way too many to list everyone but here are just a few:

• Tony G and the Bikeworks crew did a ton of work to get this thing ready including getting T-shirts designed and made, getting all of the sponsors, and helping run the whole race.
    • Chris Boice and Rich Strang with help from a bunch of other trail builders put together a great race course in a very short amount of time.
    • My wife Kristin stepped into the big unknown and took over for me when I was forced away on business for the race weekend. Thanks babe!
    • Lynnie Thompson drove up on Saturday & Sunday to help out big time.
    • Tom Long and Pajarito ski area provided great hosting for the event.
    • Gary put up with all the crazyness of downhill practice surrounding his XC event which was a great event as usual. Sorry there were a few issues but practice day really makes a great race day.
    • RIDERS: We more than doubled the number of riders over the DH races we had several years ago. DH racing is all about bringing the riders together and downhillers know how to put having fun above simply competing against each other.

It sucked not being there to organize and race but I did feel like I was partially there with all the phone calls from Kristin & Ben. I'm sorry I couldn't be there to keep Ben's bike working. He somehow managed to stop the drivetrain from working on his and my DH bike but still managed to get 4th w/o being able to pedal. He's gonna have to start doing more work on his own bikes

Thanks again to all who helped and I hope everyone had a fun weekend. I'll see you this coming weekend for summerfest

banned

I had a blast!!!...lookin' forward to Summerfest

Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson

Thanks again to all who helped and I hope everyone had a fun weekend. I'll see you this coming weekend for summerfest
    Neal, Kristin really stepped up. If I did not know any better, I'd say she had been involved from the get-go. The whole event seemed to go off without a hitch. Super job!

Sorry about Ben's bike. I offered to fix it, but he opted to run home and grab his bike instead. I had no idea that he eventually busted that one up too. Probably could have had him going again on your bike in a few minutes if I had known .

When and where will the official results be posted?

Is the bike OK?

Resuts!

I just posted the results:

http://www.nmfreeride.com/ppdh.html

Good job everyone!
    Last edited by nealpederson; 06-02-2009 at 05:04 AM.

Is the bike OK?

Summerfest

Glad to here you'll be coming back for summerfest . It will be good to be able to ride all the trails that weekend!

banned

Couple of photos..

Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson
    I just posted the results:

http://www.nmfreeride.com/ppdh.html

Good job everyone!
    I snagged these from James Rickman's (aka blister butt) website. Great pics, James!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Great race to watch.

Load up the dog, beer and food to watch the race, and to take the full-face helmet to RCC.

Rock garden was good to watch, but the lower step down

I <3 NM
    I few more pix from a friend of mine who lives in SFe. He is looking to ride WM with me late next week:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubink1/
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    step down

mtbr member
    took the scenic route through the Jemez

mtbr member

mtbr member
    GREAT JOB RACING GUYS
    Hopefully I'll get the video up sometime soon
    Wished that I had raced with you all
    but then I wouldn't have been able to fix things up and get good footage

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    [QUOTE=NE2NM]

Cool, this video is my 15 year old neighbor, who got 3rd in the sport jr class.. He convinced my son to sell his go kart and the Santa Cruz superlight XC bike I got him last year and get a Kona Stinky instead. Should be here this week, my son is psych'd. There were some seriously fast guys at the DH. Maybe his wheels down, XC, old fart dad will have to try it out...

BTW, the kid in the video's dad won the 50+ sport XC race on Saturday. (I was at Cochiti doing loops 1&2. What an ending - Crosstown-Motown-Carl Shipman- fly through 25+ stream crossings back to Dixon apple orchard. )

Bandolero
    Nice job Brian.:thumbsup.

banned

Thanks Crash...

Quote Originally Posted by Jemezc

BTW, the kid in the video's dad won the 50+ sport XC race on Saturday. (I was at Cochiti doing loops 1&2. What an ending - Crosstown-Motown-Carl Shipman- fly through 25+ stream crossings back to Dixon apple orchard. )
    I met is dad as I was eyeballing the step down. His son came through on a practice run and launched it. I stood there in disbelief as his dad said, with a huge grin on his face, "that's my son". He was one proud papa, and with good reason

If you ever get an itch to do that loop again starting at Dixon's an looping Carl Shipman BWO Medio Dia, I found a better route that includes more mileage and more singletrack. It's and awesome loop for sure, but I can't even fathom convincing myself to do it twice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yea, they're both awesome riders. Sr. is 64 and still hauls, Jr got 3rd at the La Tierra XC race, only 5 minutes behind the 18 year old winner. Jr. also finished first in the 4cross at Angel Fire last weekend in his first 4cross race. They both motorcycle as well and are part of the gang of moto guys we can thank for great trails like motown and crosstown.

Sometime I'd like to go explore more of Cochiti, I'd love to learn more of the singletrack over there. I'll pm you if I get a free weekend, TIA...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Some More pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    And a couple pics from the Trash Pit after the race.

Daniel on the hip line step down.

Bryan on the Step up.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I wish I hadn't had to work the weekend you guys did this race. I'm still fixin my bike and myself from Angel Fire, but man that course looks fun.

Bandolero

Cochiti

I met is dad as I was eyeballing the step down. His son came through on a practice run and launched it. I stood there in disbelief as his dad said, with a huge grin on his face, "that's my son". He was one proud papa, and with good reason

If you ever get an itch to do that loop again starting at Dixon's an looping Carl Shipman BWO Medio Dia, I found a better route that includes more mileage and more singletrack. It's and awesome loop for sure, but I can't even fathom convincing myself to do it twice!
    Let's go do it. New stuff in cochiti is cool.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash88
    Let's go do it. New stuff in cochiti is cool.

I'm down Crash! I would like to complete that loop at least once this season without the hike-a-bike, so how about next Tuesday?

Bandolero

Cochiti

I'm down Crash! I would like to complete that loop at least once this season without the hike-a-bike, so how about next Tuesday?
    I'm working tue let me see if I can shuffle my schedule I'll let you know this weekend.

mtbr member
    I snagged these from James Rickman's (aka blister butt) website. Great pics, James!
    Thanks, Mtn Biker 123!

It's always great fun to see these guys in their element!

--Jim
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

banned

Touche

Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt

It's always great fun to see these guys in their element!

--Jim

..and you do a fine job of capturing it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast