mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Pajarito Burnout Advice

Anyone familiar with the Pajarito Burnout race? I've never ridden up there and I'm signed up for the 37 mile option B. I'm trying to decide between SS or gears. Obviously there's gonna be lots of climbing but I'm wondering if its loose techy type stuff where I'm prone to spin out a lot or if its a little more established where I can keep traction and momentum?

Gonna run 34:22 if I ride SS, it's the easiest gear option I've got.

Is the bike OK?
    I don't race it but live in Los Alamos and am very familiar with the trails. I would absolutely not ride a SS on any of the options! It could be done but there's plenty of steep climbing and some fairly fast descending. The climb up Quemazon is relatively steep but very grippy so that part would be doable on SS. However, that second half of that climb is up Pipeline road which is very rocky and loose and really hard to keep on the pedals even with all your gears. One more thing, I don't know if you're doing this with full suspension or not but the trails around here really take advantage of bikes with travel. Descending Guaje Ridge is fast, loose, and rocky.

There's a few single speeders around so hopefully one will tune in and give their opinion too.

SoloMojo
    Sep 2006

SSing Pajarito Burnout

Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    I don't race it but live in Los Alamos and am very familiar with the trails. I would absolutely not ride a SS on any of the options! It could be done but there's plenty of steep climbing and some fairly fast descending. The climb up Quemazon is relatively steep but very grippy so that part would be doable on SS. However, that second half of that climb is up Pipeline road which is very rocky and loose and really hard to keep on the pedals even with all your gears. One more thing, I don't know if you're doing this with full suspension or not but the trails around here really take advantage of bikes with travel. Descending Guaje Ridge is fast, loose, and rocky.

There's a few single speeders around so hopefully one will tune in and give their opinion too.
    I'll be running a 32x23 for the A course. I think I ran a 32x22 on the B course last year and pipeline HURT and is the reason I bailed on to the B course... We did the lower canyons last year before pipeline. This year pipeline is earlier when we are fresher... :-)

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Former LA local and singlespeed here - LA is tough on everyone. It's tougher with less gears and less suspension because it's very seldom flat and very seldom smooth. You're not going to find 4' drop type technical stuff most of the time but it will be relentlessly rough and often loose. Descents are often steep so pedaling on them won't be a big concern - gear low!

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Kinda wish I had a spare 32T lying around, but I think I'm going to play it safe and switch to gears. I'd rather finish than DNF.

Walt, hats off to you for building some great bikes! Hopefully I'll add my name to your wait list one of these days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well here was the end result:

freedom through cadence: Lost Alamos

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjohn View Post
    Well here was the end result:

freedom through cadence: Lost Alamos
    Great Job John! wish I could have gone with...