mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Pajarito avg ride times for XC! And black recommendations.

Just trying to plan things out. What do most take to do the XC loop where you go up Aspen, across aspen, then down Aspenola?

Also, If you can only do one black on a 4” 29er would it be Mothers Milk or the sidewinder, air raid, battle stations combo?

What is the drive time from Santa Fe for pre dawn on a Tuesday. I am guessing right at an hour.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mothers Milk is kind of steep and if you aren't going to ride all the log rides it would be better to do something else. Air Raid/Battlestations seem to be more popular because the grade is a bit mellower and it does have the Big log. If your looking for alot of elevated though do Mother Milk down into Triple Threat. Also half climbs work real good for a bunch of the trails - Half Aspen is only part way up the XC trail and you can ride the road up a real short distance to do just Triple Threat
    Don't know what the ride times are I think thats only about a 6 mile circuit when I do it, usually take around 1-2 hours (the climb up is STEEP if your not in good shape)

mtbr member
    The best way up is on Aspen for Trouble. The start can be found near the chairlift just west of the lodge. Aspeñola is a good XC-style descent. As a loop, the fastest racers were doing it in about 45 minutes. A more typical time might be 1 hr 15 min.

As for a black descent... I recommend the Sidewinder/Air Raid/Battle Stations/May Day link-up (As rsclimb said, it is more mellow). You will know for next time if you want a harder trail.

The drive will take about an hour.

Have fun, the aspen are peaking and it should be really nice.
    there can be only one... track

mtbr member
    Climb times are something like 1hr up when I'm fresh and enjoying the ride (i.e. not racing up it).

Drive time from SF is about 45mins from the north side to maybe a little over an hour from the south part. Keep in mind that coming in on a Tuesday morning, you'll be going with the LANL work crowd, so it might take a little bit longer. Once you get to LA, it takes about 15 mins to get up to the top of the ski hill.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What? work crowd? Is the LA cost of living high? Where do those guys live? Or do those guys make enough to live in SF?

Sounds like the loop will take less time than I thought. I will shoot for two hours stopping to take pictures and such. I only worry that on the way down it will be too fun to want to stop for a photo opt.

Looks like some weather might blow through on Saturday. Not sure how to know if the mountain got any snow or not. Local news maybe.

Thanks guys

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    What? work crowd? Is the LA cost of living high? Where do those guys live? Or do those guys make enough to live in SF?

About half of "those guys" live here in town, with the rest spread out in SF, Espanola, ABQ, etc. Cost of living is only slightly more than SF, but much higher than, say, Rio Rancho.

Sounds like the loop will take less time than I thought. I will shoot for two hours stopping to take pictures and such. I only worry that on the way down it will be too fun to want to stop for a photo opt.

Two hours is reasonable, plus whatever time you spend hanging out at the top. I just got back from a post-work ride (and yeah, the aspen will be at peak this weekend) and it took us 2 hours spot on to spin up from the Townsite lift to the top of the Aspen chair, chill there for 10 minutes sitting on the chair and enjoying the sunset view, and then come down Aspenola w/ several stops to soak in the view.

It was Negra Modelo tonight, under a very bright partial moon. I wish Fall could last longer....
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.