mtbr member
    Jun 2012

... and if we just ... Otero Canyon Debate

So, where exactly are these sections of Otero? I moved here in January and have rode all over the East Mountains (Otero, Tunnel, West Ridge, Blue Ribbon, Mars Court, etc.) this summer but don't recognize any of these trails.

EDIT: Thread split by CHUM per OP (from original threads) request - jkldouglas did not start this thread is what I'm trying to say....meh
    Last edited by CHUM; 11-30-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Explain thread spilt

but i want to ride now
    I recognize the second half of the video. However, I'm not sure if the creators of said stash want a press campaign.
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That is kinda what I figured. I saw the videos and they look like they are located in the parts of Otero that I won't ride.

I <3 NM
    I've sat in enough mtgs at kafb over the last several years to know that tossing out the UXO reason is just an excuse not to take any action on the issue and kick the can down the road for awhile.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Repster View Post
    How much taxpayer money was wasted on that EA? And, it was all for nothing apparently.
    I wouldn't say the EA was for nothing - it was effective enough to cause the whole Otero issue to be put on the back burner for quite a while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sorry MTBNate,I had no desire to hijack your video thread! I didn't realize this was such a touchy subject.

Now, back to the videos...

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Repster View Post
    Point taken.

Perhaps the Rec department could start charging for guides, and that would put it on the fast track
    interesting idea.

ODR could offer a guided tour thru there with a couple EOD techs to render any offending UXO "safe" with a little C4.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    interesting idea.

ODR could offer a guided tour thru there with a couple EOD techs to render any offending UXO "safe" with a little C4.
    I would pay $50 for that tour
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Saddam Hussein used to walk old men and boys through minefields ahead of his troops when at war with Iran. I'm confident enough mountain bikers have been over the upper Otero trails to clear the UXO to my satisfaction. Where can I sign a release?

mtbr member
    If the Air Force really thought there was danger in those hills, there'd be a fence to go with the signs. Funny how you can drive all over that area from the other side.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    If the Otero issue is on the back burner with the AF, then don't poke the sleeping dog. It might wake up and bite. It's a military thing. Don't ask and don't tell.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    That was funny... I mean the part about the Air Force being military. Sorry... x-Army. Can't help it.
    There actually is a fence, but it's much further west. There are some massive steel gates on the forest road that could stop a speeding truck, which are unlocked. Unlocked? I don't know whether to take them seriously or not. What's really important is, they were expensive.
    Anyway, ride the trails, enjoy the mountain. What are they going to do? Take away your birthday?

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    That was funny... I mean the part about the Air Force being military. Sorry... x-Army. Can't help it.
    i lol'd