Thread: Otero Accident?

High Alpine Adventure

Otero Accident?

Friend of mine said she was told there was a pretty serious Mt. Bike accident on Otero yesterday morning. Required someone to be airlifted out. They had the road shut down so my friends had to head back down South 14 and do Tunnel.

Anyone know what may have happened? Hope everyone is alright!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Yea my concerns as well. We also had to re route, but it sure made my ride a bit more careful.

mtbr member
    Scary. Its easy to get in too deep out there

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    A friend of mine on my FB page said something to the effect of the guys front brake went into his tire, he went over the handlebars, broke his back and shattered his jaw. This is coming from someone that knows the biker. He also said he isn't sure if the person is going to make it much longer.
    Trying to sell a GIANT ROAM 2 or trade it for a HardTail MTB. Albuquerque area only.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I don't know anymore details besides that.
    Trying to sell a GIANT ROAM 2 or trade it for a HardTail MTB. Albuquerque area only.

I <3 NM
    damn...

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    My heart and prayers go out to him and his family. A reminder of the big price you can pay out on the trail. Be safe everyone!
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

Genius
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    My heart and prayers go out to him and his family. A reminder of the big price you can pay out on the trail. Be safe everyone!
    Sad to hear of Ed's passing... when one of us perishes doing what we all love it does hit hard! This sport that brings so much pleasure is not without it's risks... just the other night on Birdhouse, a friend of mine took a pretty hard tumble. He's fine with no broken bones... just bruises. But we both looked off the edge of the trail and thought of what could have been. Trees and cliff's... and lots of danger.

RIP Ed... the mountains you encounter now are those Mt. Bike dreams are made of!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Village Dirtbag
    What exactly happened? V-brakes with the pads rubbing on the tire?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'd heard that somehow the front brake got into the wheel/tire...? Did the caliper come off? I'm checking my bolts before I ride. Does anyone know where the wreck occured exactly? I was out there last night and looked for obvious signs...didn't see anything.

Regardless, very, very sad, Let's all be careful out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah from what i understood his caliper or something came right off his bike. I don't know if that's 100% true though. Just heresay from someone that knew him. Sucks to hear that he didn't make it.

And yes, everyone double check your bikes before you're going out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    LEUTE, EDWARD Edward "Ed" Leute, 55, of Albuquerque passed on August 14th after sustaining an injury from one of his favorite activities, mountain biking. Ed passed comfortably, surrounded by family. Some of Ed's last words were, "There are three key things: You never know what is around the corner; Be nice to each other; Work hard." This epitomizes how Ed lived his life. Ed discovered one of his passions while exploring 4WD roads in the Sierras when he stumbled across a working gold mine. He became fascinated by mining and started small, but every year or so, he'd graduate to larger and more intricate devices for extracting precious metals from the ground. Finally, Ed opened his own company to sell prospecting equipment, and created his own design for a compact, reliable sluicebox for working in low water conditions. He was a very active member in three Albuquerque gold clubs, New Mexico Gold Miners Association, The Gold Prospectors of New Mexico, and The Lost Dutchmen's Mining Association. He made many friends in the prospecting community and will be dearly missed. Almost every Saturday morning, Ed could be found at the flea market and Sunday was saved for bike rides, and he especially loved San Dia Crest and Cedro Peak. Ed was an incredibly kind and fair man, who was quick to laugh. Friends described him as "one of the nicest men I know". Ed had a very strong work ethic and was highly respected by his coworkers at St. Pius, where he worked for forty years. It is no surprise that this vibrant, kind, hardworking man was very loved by his friends, coworkers, the prospecting community, and family. Ed is survived by his sisters, Jacqueline, Pat, Diana, and Kim; his cat, Nugget; and his nieces and nephews. Ed's family would like to thank the staff of St. Pius, the firefighters, and the ICU nurses at UNM. Friends of Ed are welcome to join the family in celebrating his life on Saturday, August 17th at St. Pius X at 11:00 AM. In lieu of flowers, please consider donations to the St. Pius X Advancement Office, Care of Ed Leute 505-831-8423.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Any further information on how the brake failed? Would be very interested in knowing more. Could prevent another tragic accident. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jg1990 View Post
    LEUTE, EDWARD Edward "Ed" Leute, 55, of Albuquerque passed on August 14th after sustaining an injury from one of his favorite activities, mountain biking. Ed passed comfortably, surrounded by family. Some of Ed's last words were, "There are three key things: You never know what is around the corner; Be nice to each other; Work hard." This epitomizes how Ed lived his life. Ed discovered one of his passions while exploring 4WD roads in the Sierras when he stumbled across a working gold mine. He became fascinated by mining and started small, but every year or so, he'd graduate to larger and more intricate devices for extracting precious metals from the ground. Finally, Ed opened his own company to sell prospecting equipment, and created his own design for a compact, reliable sluicebox for working in low water conditions. He was a very active member in three Albuquerque gold clubs, New Mexico Gold Miners Association, The Gold Prospectors of New Mexico, and The Lost Dutchmen's Mining Association. He made many friends in the prospecting community and will be dearly missed. Almost every Saturday morning, Ed could be found at the flea market and Sunday was saved for bike rides, and he especially loved San Dia Crest and Cedro Peak. Ed was an incredibly kind and fair man, who was quick to laugh. Friends described him as "one of the nicest men I know". Ed had a very strong work ethic and was highly respected by his coworkers at St. Pius, where he worked for forty years. It is no surprise that this vibrant, kind, hardworking man was very loved by his friends, coworkers, the prospecting community, and family. Ed is survived by his sisters, Jacqueline, Pat, Diana, and Kim; his cat, Nugget; and his nieces and nephews. Ed's family would like to thank the staff of St. Pius, the firefighters, and the ICU nurses at UNM. Friends of Ed are welcome to join the family in celebrating his life on Saturday, August 17th at St. Pius X at 11:00 AM. In lieu of flowers, please consider donations to the St. Pius X Advancement Office, Care of Ed Leute 505-831-8423.
    Sad. Two days after he passed, I took a digger and broke my neck at Otero. C5. It was a very painful and scary accident. I was fortunate to ride out and now am back on bike. Erie thing was we were just talking about him before ride and then I had my accident. It was frightening for me and my two riding partners...

Be careful at there you all. Freak accidents happen...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    Sad. Two days after he passed, I took a digger and broke my neck at Otero. C5. It was a very painful and scary accident. I was fortunate to ride out and now am back on bike. Erie thing was we were just talking about him before ride and then I had my accident. It was frightening for me and my two riding partners...

Be careful at there you all. Freak accidents happen...
    Glad you're ok, buddy! I heard about your crash and was amazed to hear that you rode out. Take care.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
    Glad you're ok, buddy! I heard about your crash and was amazed to hear that you rode out. Take care.
    Thank you, much appreciated.

I <3 NM
    Otero can bite back pretty hard when you least expect it...

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Seems I remember you getting chewed on a while back...