mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Organs turned wilderness?

Could you Las Cruces riders clue me in on the effort to turn the Organ mts and Robledos and other surrounding mountains into wilderness. I like riding in the Robledos and use to ride that up-and-over hiking trail from the west side of the Organs to the east side which is technically legal to ride on a bike, but gets little traffic because it's tech-trials riding in too many spots to really enjoy. A blurb about the topic surfaced in the El Paso Times and it sounds like mt. bikes won't have a place, and cows and horses and hunters will.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by yetipop
    Could you Las Cruces riders clue me in on the effort to turn the Organ mts and Robledos and other surrounding mountains into wilderness. I like riding in the Robledos and use to ride that up-and-over hiking trail from the west side of the Organs to the east side which is technically legal to ride on a bike, but gets little traffic because it's tech-trials riding in too many spots to really enjoy. A blurb about the topic surfaced in the El Paso Times and it sounds like mt. bikes won't have a place, and cows and horses and hunters will.
    The write ups never seem to have a usable map to refer to.

In the Robledos, the talk is for the existing WSA to become Wilderness. The Trackways area figures into this as well. There is supposed to be no effect on existing bike trails (which are recognized and approved) and jeep roads.

I'm not so sure about the Organs. I believe you refer to the Baylor Canyon Trail. Other than that, I don't know of any biking areas in the Organs (other than Sierra Vista and a short loop in Soledad Canyon (that I haven't seen)).

FWIW, here is a 2005 map I found showing the WSAs. It appears to show the Baylor Canyon trail in the WSA. It doesn't show the Robledo trails.
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

It was Baylor canyon

Havin a senior moment last night and couldn't remember the name Baylor. Thanks for putting my worries to rest. Anytime I see the word wilderness mixed with politicians I connect it to no mtb riding.