mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Northern NM, who rides?

Hey guys, i'm always riding with my local buddies but it's always fun to meet some new friends and go on epic adventures.

Who rides in the northern NM area?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    TSV opens their lift access trail this weekend, and I'll be checking that out. Will keep you guys updated

Heres a map of the new trail: http://skitaos.org/files/maps/TaosBikeParkTrailMap.pdf

And a link to their details on biking at TSV: https://www.skitaos.org/page/biking

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am not from the Taos area but would like to ride up there more. I was curious how the TSV MTB stuff was. I know the new trail is opening but the website mentions a more family friendly Pioneer bike park, what is that?

I hear the Northside trails are great but have a lot of steep climbing, how does one best enjoy those?

And I really want to do SBT this season but I don't know that the people I normally ride with could handle it just yet.

Pax

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have no idea about any of the TSV stuff, because it has not opened yet. I've heard good things about the big 2.5 mile trail they have and I'll be checking it out this weekend. AFAIK the pioneer park is a xc type flow trail, and i believe there is a pump track too. I'll give a full review after this weekend, because I'm going to check it out since it only is $12 with my ski pass.

Northside is amazing, lots of work to ride up there though. Great downhill when you do, and some nice single track and tons to explore up there.

SBT has been good, definitely drop me a PM if your in town and want to ride something. I'm down for SBT anytime.

ATR
    mtbr member
    This is part of the Pioneer park just after it was built last year;
    Taos Ski Valley Flow Trail - YouTube

It looks like either another trail was built just above this or it has been expanded into more of a loop.

Northside is sweet. It is about 2600' and 4-5 miles from the parking lot to the Summit of Frazer Mountain so lots of climbing and a few sections require hiking. Very worth it if you like high alpine traverses and tight downhill singletrack. Bull of the Woods Mountain is a shorter and requires slightly less vertical climb than the Frazer Mtn side. This is from Northside last September, not the best cam angle but it shows Frazer summit to Wheeler Trail, Bull of the Woods Road, and sections of Antione's Corner, Redi's, Steam Engine and Sawmill trails.

Northside Edit 2 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ATR, are you going to check it out this weekend? The little flow trail looks neat, can't wait to see how the new berminator is. I'm going to be riding it on my 5" trail bike, i'll report back on the conditions after i get some shredding in. I rode angelfire on a 5" bike and had a blast, so i'm sure it will be great. Gravity bikes are looking pretty awesome though at this point with angelfire so close and now taos opening lifts to bikes..

ATR
    mtbr member
    Some more Northside
    Steam Engine and Sawmill;

banned
    May 2014
    Nice! That last section looked funfun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ATR, is that recent? want to ride northside this weekend?

Edit: no gloves , you ride that solo?

ATR
    mtbr member
    Yeah that was yesterday I'm down ride there this weekend

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Headed up to ride the bike park on the 5th. Hopefully the weather will be decent and the dirt will be great.

ATR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    Headed up to ride the bike park on the 5th. Hopefully the weather will be decent and the dirt will be great.
    Pioneer trails were real gravelly and not packed yet yesterday, it's dumping rain up here now so probably going to be real nice by Saturday

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    Nice! last weekend (opening weekend) the berms were a bit washy like ATR said and it still needed some fine tuning. It's raining right now so the riding this weekend should be great wherever you go in taos.

I just got a loop around the trail I built by my house and my is that dirt damp and grippy.