mtbr member

North Foothills Access from Big Horn Ridge Closed

The path through the private land at Big Horn Ridge in Sandia Heights connecting to 365 has been posted. The owner was putting up signs today and I stopped to talk. He says there's just too much traffic and destruction. Even though most users are hikers, he specifically cited mountain bikers.
    I'm going to miss that trail.

mtbr member
    not familiar with it, at least by name...

mtbr member
    About half way between the Tram and Elena. I think Strava calls it 'freedom trail' or something like that.

mtbr member
    the small part of private land from the road to the trail where you duck under a top wired fence? Once you go under fence, you can either go right up steep hill or left skirting back yard walls for a bit?

mtbr member
    That's the one. Got to be a bit much for the land owner to the south. His trail's been there maybe 30 years? I've only been riding it 15 or so.

mtbr member
    That sux. I use that a lot when riding NFH from house. Sometimes people park there and hit trailhead. That irritates them. They would leave courtesy notes on cars explaining not to park and use access. Very nice of them to allow access all these years. Guess someone or some incident made them say no mas.
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Top end of Cedar Hill to the north has official access, but it's a lot of hike-a-bike and sand... and no parking of course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    The path through the private land at Big Horn Ridge in Sandia Heights connecting to 365 has been posted. The owner was putting up signs today and I stopped to talk. He says there's just too much traffic and destruction. Even though most users are hikers, he specifically cited mountain bikers.
    I'm going to miss that trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    That sux. I use that a lot when riding NFH from house.
    That does suck. I used this trail as a bailout once when riding from my house and really enjoyed the rocky sections on the downhill at the end. I can see why it is being closed though, as it never felt like an approved trail.
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Yes, it is a fun blast downhill, and back when it used to rain here, it would change a bit after every thunderstorm to keep it interesting. I can't think of a neighbor who does NOT use that trail, so it will be a big loss.
    Tried the Cedar Hill trail and it is real challenge in spots. I think I like it.

mtbr member
    He did the same thing a while back then people tore down the signs and continued to use it and he chose not to do anything about it. I hope people respect his right to close access this time.

I will say, most of the folks who use that access are my neighbors and I've been on pretty good terms with them over the years, but they are decidedly anti-mountain biking, and there is just no reasoning with them. I've tried to get them to attend some trail work sessions, as I've found when different user groups are out working together, people build relationships and the rhetoric subsides. Still no takers......

A reminder about the Cedar Hill access for anyone using it; you have to carry your bike and climb up over the boulders to be on FS property. The easier way to the right crosses private property and that owner has it posted as such, though people still cut through there.

mtbr member
    No quarrel with the owner. It's his land and I respect his decision. I got off my bike and helped him dig the holes for the 'No Trespassing' signs. Sounds like we have the same neighbors and yes they are a bit biased against bikers. We can change that. You know the old saying: kill them with kindness.
    Went up Cedar Hill again today and it's growing on me. Short but technical.