Mythical Creature

NMES - SFBFL Chatter Thread

Thought I'd start up an mtbr.com version for the BFL ride this Saturday. Saw a huge herd of Elk yesterday morning, at the end of Sunset Trail (in the ski area). Cool!

Big question that comes to mind is Rancho Viejo in - or not?

And Maka is right - still lot's of trees down on the upper section of Big T - after the campground.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Ohhh cool. Yeaa Anthony and I were enjoying a post ride beverage yesterday at the Big T campground when we heard some elk up the hill a ways. We also came down sunset and did not see any elk. Though we did see about 700 hikers throughout the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mnt bike laws of physics
    I don't even remember a campground.....I must of been out of it

Is it 14,000 feet of climbing or 14,000 trees to climb over?

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf
    Ohhh cool. Yeaa Anthony and I were enjoying a post ride beverage yesterday at the Big T campground when we heard some elk up the hill a ways. We also came down sunset and did not see any elk. Though we did see about 700 hikers throughout the day.
    Even at the crazy-early time in the morning I was descending through the ski area (considering the preceding 2 hours of climbing), I was surprised to see as many hikers as I did! I was back in town, at home by 9AM....
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    I don't even remember a campground.....I must of been out of it

Is it 14,000 feet of climbing or 14,000 trees to climb over?
    I think both!

Seriously - one could not possibly miss the campground, and smoldering campfire smoke-filled air.
    follow me on Twitter!

Thread Pollution
    anyone stashing stuff the night before at the ski basin or else where?

mnt bike laws of physics
    I'm stashing my wife at 1)the parking area on (what's the road that goes up to the ski area) and 2)at the ski area parking lot after the big climb.
    After that I'm at the mercy of other...I sure hope there are a few nice ladies at the begining of the last dirt road climb like last year. They saved my @ss. No way I could carry enough liquids to make it all the way back to civilization.

Now that you know were Shaila(my wife) will be, if you are interested in having her hold some stuff for you, get up with us at the maroon Toyota Previa van before the ride.

Thread Pollution
    I'm stashing my wife at 1)the parking area on (what's the road that goes up to the ski area) and 2)at the ski area parking lot after the big climb.
    After that I'm at the mercy of other...I sure hope there are a few nice ladies at the begining of the last dirt road climb like last year. They saved my @ss. No way I could carry enough liquids to make it all the way back to civilization.

Now that you know were Shaila(my wife) will be, if you are interested in having her hold some stuff for you, get up with us at the maroon Toyota Previa van before the ride.
    Thanks ,saturday morning I'll look for the tall guy coming out of the Previa ,btw,water refill at the chupadero fire station

Mythical Creature

4 Days to GO!!!

So ya'll likely know, Jens announced in response to my query re: [edit] Rancho Viejo is in the route, this year.

Cool!
    Last edited by glenzx; 07-02-2008 at 01:51 PM.
    follow me on Twitter!

rohloff rich
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    ...Plus I can roll out at my usual 430AM - 500AM ride time, as I have indeed gotten that slow.
    {cough, cough} BULLSH!T! {cough, cough}

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Liquids and Solids for SFBFL

I've heard some chat about support vehicles loaded with goods at a few locations. I don't know who yet. The support last year was great, at the ski parking lot and Pacheco start. It seems that Tim has something arranged again, or almost arranged? Tim, where are you?

I'm having a 70 oz camelback bladder surgically installed in my midsection wherever it can be fitted. It may actually fit in my head, there's not much there sometimes.

GZX- which turn do we goof to do the route you mention? Maybe the SFBerFL and the SFSmallerFL will provide enough options for all who are not interested in following the unnoffical crowd in what is the best NMES route (this year). Maybe next year, we'll have a 300 mile option and a 1 mile option.

C Cow

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    ,btw,water refill at the chupadero fire station
    I looked for that fire station last year and did not see it. Does it have a very small sign?
    Anyway, does anyone know if the water angels will be there at the beginning of the last climb again this year?

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by C Cow

GZX- which turn do we goof to do the route you mention?
    Instead of turning 'left' heading downhill when you hit Nambe, cross the creek and head over to the NEXT drainage - Rio Capulin. Pretty obvious on the maps. Wicked fun/hard climb, followed by one of the nicest descents in the state. Then, head up the cobbly hike-a-bike end of Tr. 179 as you would coming down the other route.
    Last edited by glenzx; 07-02-2008 at 07:45 AM.
    follow me on Twitter!

Mythical Creature
    I looked for that fire station last year and did not see it. Does it have a very small sign?
    Anyway, does anyone know if the water angels will be there at the beginning of the last climb again this year?
    I think it's HERE - just past en Medio (LINK)

Easy to miss as you'll be on pavement after a LONG haul through the woods. It's a tan pro-panel metal building (on riders' left on BFL route) that I've never seen signs of life at, nor seen the fabled hose spigot.
    follow me on Twitter!

Mythical Creature

Update

The fellas keeping the NMES running smoothly have added Rancho Viejo as an officially sanctioned option now. Thanks Lenny and Jens - I think it's a good move.

g
    follow me on Twitter!

Mythical Creature

Bring jackets and a spare set of gloves

Holy Moly - Monsoon season is fast approaching! Around the corner from my office I have a decent view of the 'venue' and by lunchtime, the clouds are getting BIG! Same to the west (this is looking NE). Not a lot of rain in/around town, but even the Dale Ball trails, and Atalya - have taken a pounding. Great hook-up, but some new ruts and recently dislodged rocks as well.

We all know what the rocky mountain afternoon thunderstorms are capable of, so be ready just in case. The top picture, dead center - shows Tesuque Peak, long with the others - about to get overtaken:
    follow me on Twitter!

mnt bike laws of physics
    Should be fun...we're even getting are fair share of rain in Cruces, but the signs of it are gone fast with no trees to protect the ground.

BTW, thanks for the fire station description Glen. Looks like we may need it since there is no aid committed to be after that.

Mythical Creature
    Should be fun...we're even getting are fair share of rain in Cruces, but the signs of it are gone fast with no trees to protect the ground.

BTW, thanks for the fire station description Glen. Looks like we may need it since there is no aid committed to be after that.
    Ahhh... I bet that rain feels/smells great down your way. If I'm out by Chupadero in he next day or two, I'll snap a photo of the station, and triple-verify my locator map. Maybe I'll go knock on the door and/or see where the hose bib is. Seems like it'd be smart to pack some extra drink mix powder and make up a batch or two prior to climbing Pacheco Cyn. with water from this aforementioned spot.

Otherwise, there are a few houses at the very base of the dirt road climb, where I know folks have humbly pleaded for water at before. If at all possible, drive out there prior to the start and drop your own stash... it's about a 45-60 minute roundtrip from 2nd Street Brewery with light early morning (lack of) traffic.
    follow me on Twitter!

Thread Pollution
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Ahhh... I bet that rain feels/smells great down your way. If I'm out by Chupadero in he next day or two, I'll snap a photo of the station, and triple-verify my locator map. Maybe I'll go knock on the door and/or see where the hose bib is. Seems like it'd be smart to pack some extra drink mix powder and make up a batch or two prior to climbing Pacheco Cyn. with water from this aforementioned spot.

Otherwise, there are a few houses at the very base of the dirt road climb, where I know folks have humbly pleaded for water at before. If at all possible, drive out there prior to the start and drop your own stash... it's about a 45-60 minute roundtrip from 2nd Street Brewery with light early morning (lack of) traffic.
    water spicket is easy to find,wtf,your micromanagement drives me nuts ,close your yapper and analyze this.
    On 2nd thought. ooops,
    didn't mean to rain on your parade,i know your excited.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    water spicket

Speaking of details, would you mind letting us know if it's a free standing 'yard hydrant' or a hose bib - aka spigot - and where it's located then?

Note I admitted the thread was for 'chatter'. I'd posit that many folks doing the ride not familiar with the area (and some that are) are very detail oriented, and appreciate minutae / details like where they can get water .
    follow me on Twitter!

Thread Pollution
    frost free hydrant, believe, i was pretty much in another world by that time during last years bfl.to get there ride up the driveway to the chupa.community center the building will be on your left,face left,look towards the building,step with your left foot forward, ,look on the bottom of your shoe,smell and confirm that it is dog feces.Now, you need a drink of water from that spicket.

Mythical Creature

en Medio Community Center

Checked it out, Maka is right. Looks like this from the road we'll be riding on:

...and the Yard Hydrant is located to the left of the main entrance:

Yard Hydrants are not something I was ever familiar with until moving out to the whacky west.... perhaps I'm the only one.
    follow me on Twitter!