Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ATR View Post
    Kind of close but not quite. Gavilan would be a fun ride, esp linked from Gold Hill, it's part of the Columbine Hondo WSA so not legal to ride.
    We linked TSV to Bull of the Woods, Middle Fork?, then Gold Hill and on to Goose Lake once. We dropped into Red River where Gred de Taos lost a crank arm bolt and we had to commandeer a shuttle back to Taos. Thank god we did, he was talking about hitting up the Lost Lake route for the way back. OUCH!

The drop-in to Bull of the Woods was one of the funnest alpine descents I've ever had the pleasure to ride.

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres Bottelas View Post
    We linked TSV to Bull of the Woods, Middle Fork?, then Gold Hill and on to Goose Lake once. We dropped into Red River where Gred de Taos lost a crank arm bolt and we had to commandeer a shuttle back to Taos. Thank god we did, he was talking about hitting up the Lost Lake route for the way back. OUCH!

The drop-in to Bull of the Woods was one of the funnest alpine descents I've ever had the pleasure to ride.
    PS: I am not aware that WSA are actually "illegal" in the sense that they have only been tabled for discussion as "potential" Wilderness.

banned
    May 2014
    Here is a link to the ride. The regulars here are probably sick of rehashing these old threads, but this place has sorta died over the years....

TSV to Red River: Rollin' the Sangre de Cristos

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Haha yeah no prob, I was skeptical about even posting this video, after thinking on it for a while decided it was too sweet of a ride not too. Before we dropped into this section my rear derailleur was caught in the wheel and the hangar snapped (cause I wasn't thinking after a long hot ride up and failed to shift to a higher gear on a short rocky downhill) so I was riding this trail with the chain tight and in 3rd, thanking gravity for the fuel.

This trail was the cleanest I've seen it. The "punisher" line too, could use some work in some of the steep washed out sections, but whomever has been working that trail the past few years, nice work it's awesome
    Haha, no harm done with a video. I've got a few myself, just can't upload a damn thing because my ISP is so terrible (taos, lol).

I wont claim much, but we always keep leave that trail cleaner than we found it. It was mostly built and maintained by locals to the immediate area. There are even a few random singletrack paths going to peoples houses, so don't wonder onto someones property and piss em' off . The punisher line I "found" before I even knew it had a name. Then one day I met another local and he was telling me about it, i was like oh yeah i've ridden that. Some sweet banks and wallrides up there

Holla via PM if you want to ride. I'm always down to session that particular area!

ATR
    mtbr member
    Some Northside and TSV pics from today;

Relica Mountain from Bull of the Woods Road
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-panorama-4.jpg

Yeah
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-dscn4074.jpg

Lower Gold Camp
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-panorama-11.jpg

Riding down to the trailhead
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-dscn4130.jpg

Stream crossing at the bottom of the Steam Engine Trail
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-jared.jpg*

Berminator DH trail Al's Run
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-dscn4133.jpg

Pioneer Flow Trails
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-panorama-13.jpg

The NM Trail Pix Thread-panorama-15.jpg

The NM Trail Pix Thread-dscn4160.jpg*

*Shari took these two pics
    Last edited by ATR; 07-02-2014 at 09:46 PM.

I <3 NM
    Wow, look like a great place to ride!
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ATR, awesome pics man. Me and my brother were up there on sat

The NM Trail Pix Thread-10425856_804188376287957_2224874603352094217_n.jpg

ATR
    mtbr member

Taos

Some pics from TSV's downhill trail today

The NM Trail Pix Thread-fscn4292.jpg

The NM Trail Pix Thread-fscn4293.jpg

The NM Trail Pix Thread-fscn4299.jpg

The NM Trail Pix Thread-fscn4298.jpg

The NM Trail Pix Thread-dscn4253.jpg

The NM Trail Pix Thread-panorama-23.jpg

ATR
    mtbr member

Berminating

Edit from yesterday. Top half of the trail is sick, the bottom half is still pretty rugged but it's taking shape. Just needs some cleaning (maybe more than 2 trail maintenance workers eh TSV?) and more tread on it, and a few adjustments on a couple jumps that are throwing riders forward. Great start to a potentially epic bike park in the making here.

Last edited by ATR; 07-05-2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Grammar

Airborne Flight Crew
    Nice vid and pic ATR, thanks for sharing! I was there opening day and had a great time. Agree, the trails really need more riders on them, but what an outstanding effort, especially considering they have to work with the FS in setting up the trails.

I thought most of the jumps were cool, with lips/transitions leaning towards the mellow end, which is great to get people used to hitting them, and at the same time giving the option to roll over the jumps. Which jumps did you find to be throwing riders forward? Was that on Berminator, or the lower skills trails (where are a blast too actually, just a bit gravelly)....

Very different from trails at AF, even the jump lines. The trail surface is much more regular, but this might change over time, but if it packs in like that, this place will be a keen alternative to AF very soon...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

ATR
    mtbr member
    There were two jumps near the middle of the top half before the berms on Al's run that seem like the top of the lips roll a bit too much to pop up enough to clear the gaps, and they were kind of steep to roll over with speed. Just my thoughts after a few runs. The bottom of the trail is still rough but sweet. It's almost like a different trail, more of a natural terrain feel. Yesterday may have been the busiest day since it opened, we noticed different lines taking shape throughout the day. Signage is good, not too much and everything is visible. Nice work with all the drainages. There's a lot of potential here for some more downhill trail and singletrack even some xc trail. I've learned working at a few different ski areas the FS likes to see how well an area will maintain their new trail(s) and if it's done properly and the resort is willing to invest adequate resources they (FS) tends to allow more use and trail development. This was a good investment, the work PTD and the Ski Valley has put into this trail is really starting to show.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Can't say I noticed those, but I do remember a couple knuckles that would be harsh if a rider didn't have a lot of speed off the lip. One was a "double" (in the section after the step up that's under the lift --- first there's a small hip to the right, trail flattens out for a bit and you gain speed, then the jump, maybe 15 feet if you try to send it all the way, maybe about 4 feet if you just pop off the lip? Anything in between would be uncofortable)

The other two were the little "drops", which are signed as such. I found the faster you hit them, the smoother they are (also stay to the left side of the trail, I tried to cheat inside a bit but the shoulder of the trail/landing got deep and made for a rougher landing).

Can't put a finger on why, but I'm excited for TSV. They did quality work on Berminator, I have fun on it. The lower part and the skills area demonstrate they have a handle what riders like, and what will them progress. I wish them well, and will visit again.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

ATR
    mtbr member

Some more Taos singletrack and stuff

ATR
    mtbr member

Rift Valley Trail

The NM Trail Pix Thread-dscn4786.jpg

The NM Trail Pix Thread-panorama-305.jpg

The NM Trail Pix Thread-panorama-310.jpg

The NM Trail Pix Thread-panorama-307.jpg

mtbr member
    Is this the trail right off of 518 before you get into Taos? Or in your case, right as u leave Taos?

ATR
    mtbr member
    Trail 18 Rio Grande del Rancho is a few miles south of town on 518. Rift Valley is on 68 between Pilar and Ranchos. Pretty fun curvy singletrack and a few different connecting routes.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...e_03052014.pdf

some sections ridden counterclockwise;

Airborne Flight Crew

Flashback

Found this in a random folder on my old laptop... I think this was 2005 when I lived here for a short spell.

The NM Trail Pix Thread-2697372859_e795d79d74_o.jpg
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

ATR
    mtbr member
    Techy climbing (hiking) on the lower South Boundary to access Ojitos
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-panorama-333.jpg
    Nice views
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-panorama-334.jpg
    Just above the SB/Ojitos junction
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-dscn5075.jpg
    Not quite sure what I think about this trail. There were some fun smooth pedaling sections mixed with lots of fun rollers and small drops in the middle, and lots of loose rocks to navigate around. Half of the seven miles were barely rideable. The bottom mile and half was worth navigating thru all the scraggy neglected sections of old mining road.
    Name:  Snapshot 7 (7-27-2014 6-22 PM).jpg
Views: 214
Size:  162.0 KB

Hey, wait up!
    My back yard

The NM Trail Pix Thread-da1.jpg
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

I <3 NM
    Foothills Monsoon Clouds
    (Photo by Chip Simons)

I <3 NM
    Gotta love Foothills rides during the summer monsoon season...

(photo by Nick Flores)

ATR
    mtbr member

South Boundary Trail

Pretty awesome day on the SBT recently. We encountered cows, amanitas, a few downed trees and a hovering aspen. Then got soaked in the rain.

This cow didn't want to move. After a few minutes of unsuccessfully trying to get her to yield she reluctantly let us pass thru the trees below, then had the water all to herself
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-dscn5942.jpg
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-dscn5944.jpg

Trailside Beauty
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-dscn5950.jpg

Even on the ride out they wanted to follow us
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-dscn5974.jpg

Freakin Magic. New Mexico. I think this tree is in two dimensions at once.
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-dscn5977.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5977.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	916468
    Better known as a widowmaker!

ATR
    mtbr member
    Best thing about working on trails... Drinking beer at your favorite bar afterwards
    The NM Trail Pix Thread-dscn6685.jpg

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    best thing about working on trails... Drinking beer at your favorite bar afterwards
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6685.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	918186
    word!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast