Old School
    Jun 2008

NM tire recomendations

Hello all,
    I've been lurking on the NM forum for the last few weeks and am in need of some advice. I'd post this on the Wheel/Tire forum, but honestly I figure you guys are much more relevant advice given that you are all familiar with the trail conditions around here.

I've recently gotten back into riding after moving back to NM from DC (almost 5 years of 60-70 hour weeks will kill you!) and have been mostly riding around the foothills. Typically once or twice a week after work I'll enter bear canyon below Tramway & Manitoba, climb to the wilderness fence and then ride over near the Tram and back. This is a nice quick ride that i can just bomb after work. My fitness level is improving and I'm getting some of my old bike handling skills back, but I'm sure I have a long way to go.

My older hardtail has a set of Mavic Crossmax wheels on it and I've been using Hutchinson Python tires since "back in the day," but I'm a little unhappy with the way the front tire is starting to track when I'm doing higher speed runs back down the canyon to my parking spot. I think my tires are worn out and I'm looking for advice on what i can replace them with that will be appropriate for NM conditions.

My hardtail is pretty light and I'd like to keep it that way, but I'm not a weight freak. I also am not going to do any monster downhill action. I'm looking for a tire that will roll fast, has good traction and will climb well in our conditions. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    I don't use tubeless & don't care about weight.
    The best tires I have found have been the Tioga Factory DH. I like the 2.3 for my XC rig (2.5 on DH rig). They come in front and rear specific and you can get them in 2.1 as well.

The thing I like about them is they have a lot of meat on them, the knobs aren't spaced too widely (helps avoid pinches and less rolling resistance) but wide enough to really grab, and seem to hook up and brake well in every kind of terrian, wet or dry. They are also tough against cuts on the sidewalls etc. I have always seemed to get plenty of mileage out of them as well. I also like the roundish and not-so-squarish profile of these tires.

You can always pick them up in the low $20 range at Price Point .(online). Not too bad in my opinion. I honestly like them more than any other tire out there.

mtbr member
    Look at the thread entitled "Rubber" under the New Mexico forum.

Take note of what Mtn.biker123 suggests, then do the opposite.

Old School
    Jun 2008
    Rubber

A link to the tread in case anyone wants to review the recommendations or update their choices.

Thanks for the info.

7MGTE
    High Rollers have been a pretty solid tire so far. True little more rolling resistance than I would like but grip pretty good. Worked real good this winter that's for sure.

I have used the Specialized Eskar as well. Fast light tire but the side walls are little to thin for me for some conditions.

banned

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Nice tire but will not be avl. in UST this year. I called Maxxis a few months ago when I saw the new design and they said no plans for UST this year

I would already have a set if so. I know you can prob use them as UST but I have not needed new tires yet.

I also like the Big Betty tires but I have not ordered a set going to were down the High Rollers some more.

mtbr member
    I find I go through a set a tires really fast out here in NM. The riding on slabs-o-rocks just chew them up in a short period of time. So, I've moved to whatever is in the $15 sale bin. Good and bad tire designs, they are all chunked up in a few weeks and don't get traction like they were designed for anyway.

I dunno if 'buy what's on sale' is a good suggestion, but at least you won't spend lots of money if the tire sucks.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr member
    A Kenda Nevagal 2.1 in the front and Blue Groove 2.1 in the rear is what I used to run. Predictable and decent grip, but they roll very slow. You can typically find these on sale somewhere since they are very popular.

My new setup is an Schwalbe Albert 2.25 in the front and a Nobby Nic 2.25 in the back. I've only gotten 2 rides in with them but so far I'd say huge improvement. They roll much faster and the traction is just as good. I went all out and did Stans as well, so running lower pressures is very nice. I hope they wear well since they are pricey, German engineering and all that.

If weight is a concern, I met someone riding WTB Wolverines over the weekend. He said they were under 600g and very grippy. I haven't ridden them but they looked good...almost like an xc version of a Weirwolf.