zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

NM riding in November

Hi All

I will be visiting my mom in Pie Town for Thanksgiving week and was thinking of bringing my mt bike along to check out some of the great NM riding I hear a lot about. I will be coming from Norcal across on 40 to Gallup and then to Pie Town. After a few days with mom I will head north and return to Norcal via 191 and 70/50 home.
    Question,, are there places to ride in NM in Nov anywhere along my route or near Pie Town? I would be looking for intermediate to advanced trails and typically prefer to ride 30 + miles. I imagine the weather can be unpredictable in NM this time of year but I won't have another opportunity like this for a few years.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    While in Gallup you can try the High Desert trails, as you said, if the weather cooperates.
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...0_4565crx.aspx

Aside from that while in Pie Town you could drive east to Socorro, once again weather permitting.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    While in Gallup you can try the High Desert trails, as you said, if the weather cooperates.

Thanks!! That is exactly what I am looking for. Look like perfect trails to sample SW riding. Now if old man winter will hold off a bit.

mtbr member
    Here's a pretty good map.

http://www.gallupnm.org/visitors/pdf..._trail_map.pdf

Last time I rode High Desert was in December, and while a bit cold it was otherwise a good day.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    In addition to High Desert, there are some nice trails up in the Zuni Mtns, too. Hard to say if they'll still be open later this month, but there are Gallup locals that frequent this board who could no doubt give you some beta as the date approaches.

Say, if you discover any trails while your visiting, post 'em up. NuMexDonna's job used to take her to Fence Lake, and I've always thought the Pie Town & Datil area was just about the most beautiful, achingly lonely part of New Mexico. I'd love to spend a weekend riding in the area. Have a great trip!
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by AndyN

Aside from that while in Pie Town you could drive east to Socorro, once again weather permitting.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Thanks all,, that looks like some sweet stuff. I can't wait to get out and ride it. Looks like tieing together all three loops will make for a good day of riding.

Anything around Pie Town?

banned
    The GDT runs through there. You may want to contact the local FS or BLM and check it out. Like NMjoe said, if there is anything ridable we don't know about it, so post up if you discover any goodies.

cantankerous crank
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    Anything around Pie Town?.
    The San Mateos are less than an hour away and won't be quite as cold/windy hopefully. Lots of singletrack... hopefully not too snowy yet.

I've always wanted to pioneer some trails in the Sawtooths and Datils, in fact there a Sawtooth loop that I'm hoping to check out before winter hits hard.

I work about 1/2 hour away from PT, so if you're there during the week and want an anchor or two I can try to sneak out of work early, hopefully drag some of the Socorro crew out too. The weekend may be dedicated to both parents and in-laws, and bouldering.

There is a somewhat local forum here:
    http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~offroad/phpBB2/index.php?c=6
    You can see some of our expeditions in the San Mateos there.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elblat

There is a somewhat local forum here:
    http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~offroad/phpBB2/index.php?c=6
    You can see some of our expeditions in the San Mateos there.

nevermind

cantankerous crank
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Password required
    Password given on the entry box. "offroad" for both. I think it's supposed to be a cheap and quick anti-spam measure.

banned
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ... that looks like some sweet stuff. I can't wait to get out and ride it. Looks like tieing together all three loops will make for a good day of riding. ... .
    Start from the eastside trailhead and ride all 3 loops counterclockwise, saving 1st mesa for last. Start from the west, and you do all the serious climbing cold. Ride it clockwise, and you do the beautiful, but precarious, southwestside stuff downhill and grunt up the relatively boring northwestside. More enjoyable counterclockwise, imo, unless you have time to do 3rd Mesa both ways.

Above all, do it. Everybody that does, loves that ride. Classic fast XC.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    Start from the eastside trailhead and ride all 3 loops counterclockwise, saving 1st mesa for last. Start from the west, and you do all the serious climbing cold. Ride it clockwise, and you do the beautiful, but precarious, southwestside stuff downhill and grunt up the relatively boring northwestside. More enjoyable counterclockwise, imo, unless you have time to do 3rd Mesa both ways.

Perfect! I will ping this forum when I know exactly what day I will be riding. Maybe we can get a group ride going.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kingman, AZ

Several trails there, Camp Beal Loop and Monolith Gardens off highway #93, just north of I-40 and Hualapai Trail up the big mountain there. I wasn't that impressed with Camp Beal but Monolith Gardens (opposite side of highway 93) while small was interesting, big rock garden. I haven't ridden Hualapai but supposed to be best local trail.
    Many around Flagstaff. While it'll be chilly on Mt Elden's great trails there is a nice easy ride by Walnut Canyon, indian ruins.
    agmtb

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson

I agree with Garson except prefer to switch over to the north side of 3rd Mesa on the out and climb up the south side of 3rd Mesa the way back. Love that climb!
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Man, the High Desert trail is one of my favorite rides. I have ridden it so many times and it never gets old. I have ridden it from all directions to switch things up and it feels like a whole new ride. I usually start on the Mentmore side in the cool weather to warm up faster, lol. Really, the climb isn't too bad as there are quite a few breaks in between. I ride every piece of that trail when I get into Gallup, so much fun. I'm really bummed about the time change as I can't to Gallup quick enough for an after work ride during the week. The Quaken Aspen is another good trail the connects to the Quazi Moto, not sure if there will be snow there later though.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by elblat

I work about 1/2 hour away from PT, so if you're there during the week and want an anchor or two I can try to sneak out of work early, hopefully drag some of the Socorro crew out too. The weekend may be dedicated to both parents and in-laws, and bouldering.
    I will be arriving it PT Sunday evening and hanging out there through Wednesday. Maybe a Tuesday ride???

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    looks like I will be arriving in Gallup this Saturday evening and plan on Riding HDT on Sunday at around 10AM, hopfully it will have warmed up a bit by then. Anyone up for playing tour guide?
    Last edited by zon; 11-17-2008 at 10:38 AM.

saddlemeat
    looks like I will be arriving in Gallup this Saturday evening and plan on Riding HDT on Sunday at around 10AM, hopfully it will have warmed up a bit by then. Anyone up for plaing tour guide?
    Hope you had a great ride!

I was up in the Zunis all weekend, didn't see your post until now but the HDT is pretty friendly to new riders. Hard to leave the mtbing in the mountains while it's still beautiful up there.

So how was your ride?
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb
    Hope you had a great ride!

I was up in the Zunis all weekend, didn't see your post until now but the HDT is pretty friendly to new riders. Hard to leave the mtbing in the mountains while it's still beautiful up there.

So how was your ride?

Sorry,, forgot to mention the date. It will be this coming Sunday the 23rd Nov.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Heading out today. Will be spending Sat night in Gallup and riding HDT on Sunday. Woohoo!!!

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Finally made it!! Hanging at the Hampton Suites getting ready to ride today. Will be at the east trail head at 10 AM if anyone wants to join us. We'll be riding a pair of Ventanas.
    Last edited by zon; 11-23-2008 at 08:15 AM.

banned
    Finally made it!! Hanging at the Hampyon Suites getting ready to ride today. Will be at the east trail head at 10 AM if anyone wants to join us. We'll be riding a pair of Ventanas.
    Have fun!

You should see SSweatleaf and Crash88 at the TH.