mtbr member

NM Ride Suggestions

I am contemplating an extended road trip to NM business in early June and want to bring the spouse and the bikes along for the trip. As it looks now we'll drive over from (Tucson where we live) towards Alamo and White Sands and spend a day or so in that area. I need to be in Albuquerque for 1-2 days and then need to make a stop near Gallup and will head back along 40 towards Flag and south to Tucson from there. I am open to taking a day off track in Santa Fe if there is good riding to be had up that way.

We are fairly strong riders that more or less take anything that the trail can throw our way. We are both comfortable on National at South Mountain or Milagrosa in Tucson if those trails provide any understanding of our skill level. In many ways we are just looking forward to getting out of the heat for a few days an riding in a different area so technical challenge isn't a must.

Any recommendations based on the above general itinerary?

banned

Why do you hate Albuquerque?

Bandolero

Sweet Home Alabama

REM

And as Mtn. Biker123 was inferring, don't discount ABQ. Our local stuff near town doesn't suck.

We even have b itch slappin access squabbles like the AZ folk do.

[SIZE="1"]Caution, gratuitous Bandolero content[/SIZE]
    Last edited by notaknob; 05-22-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Added mandatory MTBR NM forum warning
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member

I don't hate ABQ

We are open to anything along the route that I outlined. Since Albuquerque is on that route and I plan to spend a couple of days there it is very much in the mix. Recommendations/local input is welcomed.

saddlemeat
    Check out the High Desert Trail at Gallup, or the Zuni Mountains Trail system if it's hot.
    Making the smack track baby.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

Bandolero

7k or higher?

I can only give advice for ABQ, so here it is.

Closest is the Foothills, but I'll assume you'll be tired of high desert riding.

You're probably looking for the green goods. A bit o' aspens. Mossy trees.

In order of distance from town:

• Foothills. North or South. North is flatter and can get you an hour or more of quick smooth trails. South is up&down and has loose decomposing granite with rollers.
    • Cedro. Motorcycle playground. Good selection of trails that are getting beatdown by ATVs.
    • Tunnel/Otero. Singletrack at about 7k. Has trees and is about 10 degrees cooler than ABQ. Best bet for easy access and great trails.
    • Sandia. Goes to 10k. Paved road to the top so a shuttle is possible. Alternatively you can climb from Doc Long ($3 pass required to park there or park at FS sign for free). Vegetation varies from top about 3-5 times. Climbing. Trees. Recommended.
    • Cochiti. Remote. Stream crossings. Tent rocks. Singletrack.
    • The SFDFHs can fill you in on trails up there. Most people recommend Winsor (no d!) trail, but I prefer Rio En Medio. There's alternate ways from the way I like to ride it that include climbing.

My first post has links to threads on all of these except Cochiti. Here's one on it.

Be careful about leaving stuff exposed in your car as Cedro, Tunnel/Otero and Sandias do experience smash&dash at times.

PM if you want a guide.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

banned
    Hey, Bill...how's things in the Zuni's? I figured you to be well out of wi-fi range by now. I(we) probably won't make it tomorrow due to a very poor weather expectation. I'll be in touch.

banned
    one more for Cochiti.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    one more for Cochiti.

Now we are talking. Keep the input coming.

Thanks.....MM

banned
    Its a tough route so you would likely need a guide. I believe the NMES website has a really good map of their routes, but I'm not positive they include the Killer Switchbacks.

Hey, wait up!
    Down south, Las Cruces, El Paso and Cloudcroft have sort of ok riding.

Give a shout closer to your trip time, and I can give details.

d/\h
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

saddlemeat
    Hey, Bill...how's things in the Zuni's? I figured you to be well out of wi-fi range by now. I(we) probably won't make it tomorrow due to a very poor weather expectation. I'll be in touch.
    Decided to go up today, as it rained most of the day yesterday. I doubt there was enough to affect the trails, but who wants to set up in a drizzle.

I'll be heading up about noon today.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

banned
    Well, I'm still tempted but it ain't lookin' too good from my vantage point. How is the sky?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Man
    Now we are talking. Keep the input coming.

Thanks.....MM
    Rich just posted up a really good map

Thanks again, Rich!

saddlemeat
    Well, I'm still tempted but it ain't lookin' too good from my vantage point. How is the sky?
    Spot forecast doesn't look too bad:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...0&unit=0&lg=en

I suspect it will be good Sunday, but who knows? I'm going out today unless it's raining here, and if it is I might just hang at Cabin 34 for the next few days and photograph the Osprey family.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

mtbr member
    Next week it is.

I think at this point that we will probably ride Tuesday down south. And I think we are looking more for the "green goods" as notaknob suggested. We get plenty of the desert stuff here in Tucson. At this point I am thinking the Rim Trail in Cloudcroft is the most likely choice unless someone has an alternative suggestion in the area.

We'll be in ABQ Tuesday and probably Wed. nights. Unfortunately it looks like a business associate will likely join us which may put a crimp in the riding department. Local to ABQ riding options are welcomed as free time is likely to be shorter than planned. Cochiti sounds really inciting but is perhaps a bit to epic for the time we have to allow.

In Gallup both the Zuni and High Desert options look very inviting. Depending on the weather we'll likely check one of those out on Thursday or Friday.

Any thoughts or additional recommendations now that dates and times are more clearly defined?

banned

We'll be in ABQ Tuesday and probably Wed. nights. Unfortunately it looks like a business associate will likely join us which may put a crimp in the riding department. Local to ABQ riding options are welcomed as free time is likely to be shorter than planned. Cochiti sounds really inciting but is perhaps a bit to epic for the time we have to allow.
    There are plenty of riding options local to Abq. What are you looking for? XC, AM, DH? If your looking for some elevation, I would suggest the East Mtn. area. Most of this stuff is straight up/straight down but technical, fast, and flowy. Otero will offer more variety of ST and is more undulating. You will likely need a guide or have some very good direction in order to take in the goods without getting turned around. You can't go wrong exploring out there on your own, but if your looking for more "Bang for Buck", some guidance is recommended.

mtbr member
    I would say AM to XC would be more of what we are looking for.

mtbr member
    There are plenty of riding options local to Abq. What are you looking for? XC, AM, DH? If your looking for some elevation, I would suggest the East Mtn. area. Most of this stuff is straight up/straight down but technical, fast, and flowy. Otero will offer more variety of ST and is more undulating. You will likely need a guide or have some very good direction in order to take in the goods without getting turned around. You can't go wrong exploring out there on your own, but if your looking for more "Bang for Buck", some guidance is recommended.

If you have a GPS here is a map and points you can use for the Otero area.

mtbr member
    That works great. Close in to town and looks like fun.

Thank you. Anyone else with track files and recommendations?

mtbr member
    That works great. Close in to town and looks like fun.

Thank you. Anyone else with track files and recommendations?

Here's a little slide show I put together.

mtbr member
    Thanks to those who posted ride suggestions. We had a good time even if we didn't get in any real serious AM riding. Perhaps next time. My ride report is here:

http://tucsonmtb.com/modules.php?nam...ewtopic&t=1894