Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: NM Fat Bikes?

I <3 NM

NM Fat Bikes?

I've been following this guy's build and it's got me thinking about maybe owning one.

Any of you NM riders have one? What's your build and what parts would you recommend/not recommend?

Moonlander | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    They make sence if you allready have 4 other bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't own one, but I test rode a Mukluk from The Kickstand earlier this year (just a quick NFH loop). It was a real blast to ride to say the least. I don't think I would want to climb Mt Taylor on it, but for a fun go over everything monster truck-like bike it fit the bill really well.

I <3 NM
    I've got 3, so I'm close.

I saw the one at Kickstand, but I need a L/XL frame.

mtbr member
    They look like alot of fun, but I'd rather have a friend buy one. Look like somthing youd ride 6 times a year maybe 10 rides the first year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, from the way things are going so far, it's not like you would need a fat bike this winter.
    They do look fun though. I want another better single speed or a fat bike.

mtbr member
    I see one at work sometimes. Blacksheep fatbike with a truss fork, it is a pretty sweet bike.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I see one at work sometimes. Blacksheep fatbike with a truss fork, it is a pretty sweet bike.
    While not a fat bike, my buddy just for a Black Sheep built with a truss fork - he loves it.

mtbr member
    So its settled. Mtbnate and calhoun will go halfers on a moon lander and let me ride it when ever i want.

Im glad we had this conversation im in a much better place

I <3 NM

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Mystical Powers

I got to see this ride at Interbike, it was difficult to walk away, amazing thoughts of impossible descents, (and difficult climbs).

Moo

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I've seen one at work too, maybe the same one. I think they are about $8k so if I had one I wouldn't park it outside a building. Might keep it in my bedroom instead of the garage too.

I <3 NM
    Maybe, if you've been a bad kid all year, Krampus will bring you something:

Desert RAT

NM Fatbike

I've had mine about year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NM Fat Bikes?-562.jpg  

mtbr member
    Useful for about any terrain. Ride washes, cattle trails, single track and snow.

cantankerous crank
    Jun 2008
    Lots of terrain in NM for my new moonie. Love it!

They are big, I went with one frame size smaller than a XC bike and it feels real good.

Recommend low gears and a bigger disc in the front.

The tires are bigger around than 29ers, so you are very stable at low speeds and the grip lets you go up extremely steep and loose stuff but pedal effort is increased. I have a 9er rear cassette and the 20-33 rings which puts the pedal effort (total gear ratio) back to a typical 9-speed 26er.

It goes very fast downhill and the 160mm front disc gets hot so I went up to 185.

The stock BFLs have tons of grip and roll easy but in serious snow you might want Bud&Lou.
    Last edited by elblat; 01-02-2013 at 02:55 PM.

I <3 NM
    Man... I so want one of these..

I <3 NM
    at least I think I do...

mtbr member
    Nate - I'll be able to comment pretty soon. Took the plunge last month and put a deposit down on a moonlander. I get to pick it up Saturday

FWIW, here's how I've rationalized the build. I mostly wanted something that would be useful for exploring arroyos and less used trials that are in poor condition. Fat bike traction sounded like a good idea.

Opted for Bud/Lou tire combo since I figure more traction the better. Not terribly worried about weight or being slow, mostly just want to stay on the bike! Went tubeless since it's the only want to deal with mesquite and the like - especially with this much rubber on the ground.

On the same note, I wanted the lowest gearing possible for steeper climbs, so switched to the 20/33 front MWOD chain rings and the 29er 9-speed cassette with the 12-36T sprockets. Actually have 38T and 13T sprockets on order, so I'll shift the range a little lower still on the cassette (ditch the 12T and 14T sprockets, add the 38T and 13T instead).

Other than that, switched out the rotors for 203/185 combo since that's what I'm used to and couldn't see 160mm rotors holding up in the mountains.

I'll let you know what I think of it in a couple of weeks.

FYI - There's a guy working for the winter at 2WD on Central who toured down from up north on his fat bike for the season. Haven't spoken to him yet but he could be a good resource. Jeff's been great working with me on my build.

Rob

mtbr member
    first ride on the new moonie at white mesa:

I <3 NM
    Man... I really would like to demo something like that

What shop did you get it built up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    Man... I really would like to demo something like that

What shop did you get it built up?
    Next time I'm riding up near ABQ (I'm from Socorro) I'll let you know.

Two Wheel Drive on Central built it for me. Very happy with the whole experience.

BTW - the bike is everything I expected and more. What I hadn't anticipated is how much fun it is for downhill or to huck around. It's so damn stable that the sucker is fast with a little gravity assist!

I <3 NM
    What was the approx cost of the build (if you dont mind me asking)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    What was the approx cost of the build (if you dont mind me asking)?
    Retail / stock is $2450 for a 2013. Out the door this one was about $2800.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by robselina View Post
    Retail / stock is $2450 for a 2013. Out the door this one was about $2800.
    That's about what I was thinking..

I'd have to heavily modify my bike racks, or buy a pickup truck to haul it!

I'll buy ya a couuple rounds at an ABQ brewery of your choice for demo sometime.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast